5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Module Gone - Warranty Question.

Srixun

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Ive been bitching all over reddit about this situation. :p 3 weeks after getting my truck the etorque module died. Its in the shop as we speak.

However, they are now trying to charge me $414 for the battery at Denton CDJR. Would the battery not be under warranty since the faulty etorque is what killed it?

I'm fairly certain that under Magnusson Moss, this should be covered. @RamCares maybe you can clarify for me.

Thanks!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the issues with your truck. It would be easier to answer this question if we had some details about your truck, such as year, trim level, engine, mileage, factory or extended warranty, etc. In fact, I would recommend putting your truck details in your sig like many of us here do. Makes it so you don't need to include those with each thread you make with questions.

Srixun

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the issues with your truck. It would be easier to answer this question if we had some details about your truck, such as year, trim level, engine, mileage, factory or extended warranty, etc. In fact, I would recommend putting your truck details in your sig like many of us here do. Makes it so you don't need to include those with each thread you make with questions.
Will update the main post as well.
2021,1500 Laramie Crew Cab eTorque
Mileage 49951
Factory Warranty.

Will update the sig line with that as well, thank you!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Will update the main post as well.
2021,1500 Laramie Crew Cab eTorque
Mileage 49951
Factory Warranty.

Will update the sig line with that as well, thank you!
You're outside the factory warranty for some items (3yr/36mo). That's definitely the case with the 12v main battery. Would have been so much cheaper to replace that yourself.

Srixun

Reaction score
You're outside the factory warranty for some items (3yr/36mo). That's definitely the case with the 12v main battery. Would have been so much cheaper to replace that yourself.
I am replacing the 12v myself, MMAct Does state consequential damages, which the 12v battery would fall under if the MGU goes out. so Im just clarifying and looking for info on that. if you guys have had any luck, etc.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am replacing the 12v myself, MMAct Does state consequential damages, which the 12v battery would fall under if the MGU goes out. so Im just clarifying and looking for info on that. if you guys have had any luck, etc.
Just wondering how the MGU would take out the 12v battery. 12v battery is charged by the 48v battery module, not by the MGU directly.

Srixun

Reaction score
Just wondering how the MGU would take out the 12v battery. 12v battery is charged by the 48v battery module, not by the MGU directly.
One of the symptoms of the faulty MGU is the draining of the 12v battery

"This issue will illuminate the check engine light, low battery light, and potentially set several P- Codes. The vehicle will lose charging of the battery due to the inoperative MGU. Depending on the state of battery charge, the vehicle has 15 – 40 minutes of driving time before a vehicle stall." - NTSHA

When jumping the battery, it receives a charge temporarily but a permanent drain of the battery core will basically kill a battery. one of the MGU faults listed per complaints to Stellantis is also that it will kill any sitting battery, the complaint comes when Stellantis Emissions Warranty proceeds to list the battery as a "maintenence" item which is why some people have been able to threaten legal to get the dealership to replace it, and others have not been able to.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One of the symptoms of the faulty MGU is the draining of the 12v battery

"This issue will illuminate the check engine light, low battery light, and potentially set several P- Codes. The vehicle will lose charging of the battery due to the inoperative MGU. Depending on the state of battery charge, the vehicle has 15 – 40 minutes of driving time before a vehicle stall." - NTSHA

When jumping the battery, it receives a charge temporarily but a permanent drain of the battery core will basically kill a battery. one of the MGU faults listed per complaints to Stellantis is also that it will kill any sitting battery, the complaint comes when Stellantis Emissions Warranty proceeds to list the battery as a "maintenence" item which is why some people have been able to threaten legal to get the dealership to replace it, and others have not been able to.
The MGU charges the 48v battery module, which as I already said, charges the 12v main battery. If the 48v battery is not being charged then of course the 12v battery will not get charged either. If your 12v battery failed because it was drained the battery was on its way out. An automotive battery in good condition isn't going to be killed by being discharged.

The etorque equipment which is covered as part of the 8/80 federal emissions warranty does not include the 12v main battery.

I don't want to discourage you from trying to get this covered. But you need to have realistic expectations here.

Users who are viewing this thread