5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque lag?

BigD

Reaction score
I watched some you Tube videos of peddle commander. I wouldn't do it. Revs the **** out of your engine. Can't be good for it. Plus have to remove it every time u go to the dealership so they don't find it. Doesn't seem worth it. My 2020 Ram is fast as heck. I don't notice any throttle lag. Coming from a 2013 Ram with the 6 speed, this 8 speed has immediate response. I don't need anything faster. I have a hard enough time not getting pulled over with this bad boy !!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I watched some you Tube videos of peddle commander. I wouldn't do it. Revs the **** out of your engine. Can't be good for it. Plus have to remove it every time u go to the dealership so they don't find it. Doesn't seem worth it. My 2020 Ram is fast as heck. I don't notice any throttle lag. Coming from a 2013 Ram with the 6 speed, this 8 speed has immediate response. I don't need anything faster. I have a hard enough time not getting pulled over with this bad boy !!
Hey Big D...you are WAAAY off base my friend and I'm not sure you fully understand what this thing is or does. Not sure what you're looking at, but totally incorrect. Super easy to install...works AWESOME...if I had to guess, 25-50% of all members have this one or another brand installed on their truck. It does NOTHING to rev your engine and will have zero effect on the motors reliability...it is simply a throttle controller where you can adjust the sensitivity of your throttle...period! If you don't notice any throttle lag, then I would say you don't know what throttle lag is. All RAMs have this lag regardless of model along with just about every other car/truck made. If you really want to feel and understand what this device does, buy one off Amazon, try it for a week or two and then send it back if you don't want it. It doesn't make the truck "faster", it only increases the throttle response so the truck reacts the way that it should. Far more fun to drive than stock. In addition, you do not have to remove it when going to the dealer. I never have and doubt others have as well. However, if you wanted to, it takes about 2-3 minutes to pull it out and return to stock.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey Big D...you are WAAAY off base my friend and I'm not sure you fully understand what this thing is or does. Not sure what you're looking at, but totally incorrect. Super easy to install...works AWESOME...if I had to guess, 25-50% of all members have this one or another brand installed on their truck. It does NOTHING to rev your engine and will have zero effect on the motors reliability...it is simply a throttle controller where you can adjust the sensitivity of your throttle...period! If you don't notice any throttle lag, then I would say you don't know what throttle lag is. All RAMs have this lag regardless of model along with just about every other car/truck made. If you really want to feel and understand what this device does, buy one off Amazon, try it for a week or two and then send it back if you don't want it. It doesn't make the truck "faster", it only increases the throttle response so the truck reacts the way that it should. Far more fun to drive than stock. In addition, you do not have to remove it when going to the dealer. I never have and doubt others have as well. However, if you wanted to, it takes about 2-3 minutes to pull it out and return to stock.
^^^ This ^^^

BigD

Reaction score
I just searched pedal commander on You Tube. A bunch of videos of 5th gen Rams with it in. The guy put it on sport mode plus 2. He barely touched the gas pedal & the thing reved up to over 5,000 RPM & roached the tires. I don't need that much power. Good way to get a **** load of tickets. The guy said never put it in sport mode. It's way too much. So then he put it in normal or whatever it's called & set to 0. I also googled will peddle commander void my warranty. Everything that pops up says yes it will if they find out u have it. Obviously the factory designs these trucks with a little lag for a reason. Common sense will tell u if u start messing around with stuff, it's going to break easier. If I had an endless supply of money I wouldn't care if I blew it up. But I need my truck to last. I also don't slam on the gas when the motors cold. I wait until she's fully warmed up before giving much gas. I see so many people start their trucks at work after sitting all day, throwing it in drive, & taking off the a bat out of hell. So bad for your motor. This is exactly why I will NEVER buy used again.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just searched pedal commander on You Tube. A bunch of videos of 5th gen Rams with it in. The guy put it on sport mode plus 2. He barely touched the gas pedal & the thing reved up to over 5,000 RPM & roached the tires. I don't need that much power. Good way to get a **** load of tickets. The guy said never put it in sport mode. It's way too much. So then he put it in normal or whatever it's called & set to 0. I also googled will peddle commander void my warranty. Everything that pops up says yes it will if they find out u have it. Obviously the factory designs these trucks with a little lag for a reason. Common sense will tell u if u start messing around with stuff, it's going to break easier. If I had an endless supply of money I wouldn't care if I blew it up. But I need my truck to last. I also don't slam on the gas when the motors cold. I wait until she's fully warmed up before giving much gas. I see so many people start their trucks at work after sitting all day, throwing it in drive, & taking off the a bat out of hell. So bad for your motor. This is exactly why I will NEVER buy used again.
Do as you wish BigD...unforunatelty, you are watching a few morons on YouTube that actually own one and don't understand it either. It has 32 settings, mine is on Sport +1 and I don't experience the issues you mention above. It will not void the warranty either, but, again, it can be removed in 3 minutes if you wanted to and felt more comfortable doing so. You seem to be hung up on things breaking and commented don't buy a Limited because there's more stuff to break like Grandpa said. I saw some folks hammered you stating you should think about riding a trickle...I'm not going to do that to you, but you appear awfully afraid to do most anything that would allow you to enjoy your truck far more than you are today. Your truck...your money...your call. My advise to you is not talk about something that you do not understand or own. Enjoy!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the pedal commander compatible with the Tazer DT or is it one or the other? Plugs on the description look the same?

Thanks!

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the pedal commander compatible with the Tazer DT or is it one or the other? Plugs on the description look the same?

Thanks!

They are completely different. Pedal commander only makes connection to the throttle and it's cable. Tazer DT pulls into a different port/harness

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Thanks!
As @Snofire stated, you can install both. The Tazer plugs into the Security Gateway Module and the PC plugs directly into the throttle at the very top where the factory connector is.

BigD

Reaction score
Do as you wish BigD...unforunatelty, you are watching a few morons on YouTube that actually own one and don't understand it either. It has 32 settings, mine is on Sport +1 and I don't experience the issues you mention above. It will not void the warranty either, but, again, it can be removed in 3 minutes if you wanted to and felt more comfortable doing so. You seem to be hung up on things breaking and commented don't buy a Limited because there's more stuff to break like Grandpa said. I saw some folks hammered you stating you should think about riding a trickle...I'm not going to do that to you, but you appear awfully afraid to do most anything that would allow you to enjoy your truck far more than you are today. Your truck...your money...your call. My advise to you is not talk about something that you do not understand or own. Enjoy!
I forgot to mention in sport +2 mode the transmission downshifted 3 gears at once when the guy hit the gas. He only pressed 1/4 of the way down on the gas pedal! He said u could feel the tranny damn near drop out of the truck. Like I said comparing my 2013 Ram with the 3.21 rear end & 6 speed tranny to my 2020 with 3.92 gears & 8 speed tranny is a night & day difference even without a peddle commander. The damn truck takes off so fast I'm over the speed limit in seconds. I have a hard enough time not getting tickets as it is. As far as me commenting on the Limited trim model, I would never spend $65k on a truck, even if I had 1 million in the bank. I have a hard time spending $40k on a truck, but that's what they all cost now days. Used to be able to get one for $30k not that long ago. I use old carpet remnants for a bed liner cause I too cheap to spend $100 on a mat, but that's just me. To each their own. 🙂

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in sport +2 mode the transmission downshifted 3 gears at once when the guy hit the gas. He only pressed 1/4 of the way down on the gas pedal! He said u could feel the tranny damn near drop out of the truck. Like I said comparing my 2013 Ram with the 3.21 rear end & 6 speed tranny to my 2020 with 3.92 gears & 8 speed tranny is a night & day difference even without a peddle commander. The damn truck takes off so fast I'm over the speed limit in seconds. I have a hard enough time not getting tickets as it is. As far as me commenting on the Limited trim model, I would never spend $65k on a truck, even if I had 1 million in the bank. I have a hard time spending $40k on a truck, but that's what they all cost now days. Used to be able to get one for $30k not that long ago. I use old carpet remnants for a bed liner cause I too cheap to spend $100 on a mat, but that's just me. To each their own. 🙂
Instead of going by opinions on Youtube, perhaps you should get one and make an informed decision for yourself, like the rest of the adults on this forum.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
This is for guys with Pedal Commander. I installed it on my truck several weeks back. Love it. It worked flawlessly for about a week. Of course, me still learning all the “modes”, I’m going back and forth between different levels in City and Sport. One day, I went to swap to another level and tons of lights came on dash and the truck was trying to accelerate on its own. I was in a busy parking lot. Needless to say, it was a little hairy. I parked truck. Turned PC off. Went in store. Came back out and started truck. Now, check engine light is on. The truck drove fine home. I tried remote start later that night. The truck started, but only stayed on for maybe 30 sec’s and then shut off. Unfortunately, I work overseas and had to leave the next morning. My plan was to uninstall and the go through installation procedure again. It will have to wait until I get back home on April 19. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if me swapping between modes while driving had anything to do with it?

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is for guys with Pedal Commander. I installed it on my truck several weeks back. Love it. It worked flawlessly for about a week. Of course, me still learning all the “modes”, I’m going back and forth between different levels in City and Sport. One day, I went to swap to another level and tons of lights came on dash and the truck was trying to accelerate on its own. I was in a busy parking lot. Needless to say, it was a little hairy. I parked truck. Turned PC off. Went in store. Came back out and started truck. Now, check engine light is on. The truck drove fine home. I tried remote start later that night. The truck started, but only stayed on for maybe 30 sec’s and then shut off. Unfortunately, I work overseas and had to leave the next morning. My plan was to uninstall and the go through installation procedure again. It will have to wait until I get back home on April 19. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m wondering if me swapping between modes while driving had anything to do with it?

I've had that happen with a Sprint Booster a few times. This is the downside to the PC and Sprint Booster. This also puts the advantage to the PM as it doesn't pull it's power from the throttle connection but to another connector. I honestly haven't made my mind up on getting any of these when my truck comes in.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Had my PC installed for 2 years and never a single issue. May want to double check the connectors to ensure they are locked and CLICKED into position. I cannot see myself ever driving another vehicle without one...make a world of difference in the fun factor of driving. If, by chance, you have an electronics issue Or a bad unit (which can happen to just about anything today), call PC directly...they'll take care of you.

I have changed modes, but not while the vehicle was in motion. I waited until I was at a stop light to play with the settings.

TBfshr

Reaction score
Did you change settings while your foot was on the gas pedal? If so this may be the cause of the lights coming on. I had the similar Sprint Booster and the instructions said not to change settings while under acceleration. Also have heard of people having check engine lights come on if your keys are near the truck while you unplug the accelerator harness.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Did you change settings while your foot was on the gas pedal? If so this may be the cause of the lights coming on. I had the similar Sprint Booster and the instructions said not to change settings while under acceleration. Also have heard of people having check engine lights come on if your keys are near the truck while you unplug the accelerator harness.
My thoughts as well. PC instructions also mention to not change settings while pressing the accelerator.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Yeah, that was probably the issue! I thought it was “change on the fly”. Point taken. So, once I get home, would best course of action be to remove (-) terminal for 30+ mins and then re-install? I wish I could’ve had more time with it before I left.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yeah, that was probably the issue! I thought it was “change on the fly”. Point taken. So, once I get home, would best course of action be to remove (-) terminal for 30+ mins and then re-install? I wish I could’ve had more time with it before I left.
I’d say unplug it and plug the original plug to reset it, and than plug it back in (start it in between).

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When mine would throw the engine light I would shut it down for 15-20 minutes for the CANBUS to dissipate and then change it back to stock. Leave it on for a day for the light to go off and put it back on following the instructions. I even had a buddy who owns a repair shop get the codes when this would happen and I remember one of them is the ECM being on there. I thought the one I had was defective after 4 months of having it so I bought a new one on Amazon and returned the bad one to them. A few months later the same thing happened again. Did I enjoy it on the Jeep, yes it was nice the different driving comparing to stock. This is what makes me cautious on wanting to get another Sprint Booster or PC because they are basically the same, only the PM connects to separate power but then I don't like how Banks is basically lying about the backup feature.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are VERY FEW people that have ever had issues with the PC. Personally, I hate the Sprint's design and would never buy one. The PC has a narrow case that can be easily tucked away so you can control it via Bluetooth from an app on your phone. For me, this is a great design and I have had no issues at all. Neighbor bought one too and loves it!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
There are VERY FEW people that have ever had issues with the PC. Personally, I hate the Sprint's design and would never buy one. The PC has a narrow case that can be easily tucked away so you can control it via Bluetooth from an app on your phone. For me, this is a great design and I have had no issues at all. Neighbor bought one too and loves it!
Totally agree. This one is one of those things that worked w/o issues out of the box. Great product.

Users who are viewing this thread