5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque lag?

RambleOn

Reaction score
I just test drove a 2021 limited with a 5.7 etorque (3.92) and a laramie 5.7 no etorque (3.21) and the limited seemed to lag a lot off the line compared to the Laramie. The Laramie was responsive and the limited felt sluggish, does that sound right? I am very confused by this experience.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just right off the bat. There is probably a good weight difference between the 2.

RambleOn

Reaction score
That’s a factor, but the way it reacted I want to rule it out. Bad window stickers? Is that a safer assumption? I need to drive a few more is the bottom line. Trouble is no one 50 miles from me has much.

BigD

Reaction score
Etorque should be faster off the line. The electric motor gives u 1/2 a wheel turn advantage off the line. Also the 3.92 should smoke 3.21 off the line. You would need to compare apples to apples. Also u can hot the A button by the shifter so the motor doesn't shut off at a stop.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Probably just needs a flash. I wouldn’t be concerned about that.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just test drove a 2021 limited with a 5.7 etorque (3.92) and a laramie 5.7 no etorque (3.21) and the limited seemed to lag a lot off the line compared to the Laramie. The Laramie was responsive and the limited felt sluggish, does that sound right? I am very confused by this experience.
Aside from weight (and that is dependent on options), the Limited has the advantages of both eTorque and a 3.92 rear end.

I specifically ordered my Longhorn with both options in order to overcome the sluggishness I felt when test-driving non-eTorque trucks with 3.21 gearing. And in my review of the first eTorque truck to show up on a dealer lot, I demonstrated that it was possible to break the tires loose while starting the engine, so even start/stop isn’t a disadvantage for eTorque.

It may just come down to a difference in pedal position, seat position, or current transmission profiles (there are 45 shift programs that can be learned based on driving style). It also could be a difference in “feel”—but not necessarily speed—due to the Limited’s air suspension, presuming the Laramie has coils.

Good luck to you!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve never driven a 3.92, but stands to reason that it should be quicker off the line than a 3.21, so I’d try test driving a few other similar vehicles since it may be just that one truck that’s different.

Like @SpeedyV said, it could be a number of things.

Cheers,

RambleOn

Reaction score
there are 45 shift programs that can be learned based on driving style
Thanks for your response, very helpful. But what do you mean by this? Does the transmission 'adapt' to the way you drive the truck?

RambleOn

Reaction score
Probably just needs a flash. I wouldn’t be concerned about that.
I would like to know what you mean by flash as well. Sorry if it's a stupid question, I have never heard that term used before.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
All RAM's have severe throttle lag. The eT should perform better as stated by @Big D. That's why everyone needs to buy a Pedal Commander (or equivalent) to wake this truck up! I had no idea what I was missing until I was convinced to buy one. Best $300 I spent on this truck :D

bigalf

Reaction score
I echo the Pedal Commander. It has changed the driving experience. I have never spend so little on something so easy to install that makes such a drastic difference. Dial it in and drove on!

RambleOn

Reaction score
All RAM's have severe throttle lag. The eT should perform better as stated by @Big D. That's why everyone needs to buy a Pedal Commander (or equivalent) to wake this truck up! I had no idea what I was missing until I was convinced to buy one. Best $300 I spent on this truck :D
Thanks for the advice. Do you have a link handy?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

768mph

Reaction score
With my previous 2019 Ram Laramie Sport 3.92 e torque and my wife’s current 19 Ram BH Sport 3.21, we installed the Vitesse Throttle Controller. I’ve had them on my previous 5 vehicles. Even the tuned ones; better on-the-fly adjustability.

I’m used to 500+rwhp cars and it was a must. Ram has throttle lag but no where near GM. Fords have gotten better.

Same application at PC but half the cost. An option for those wanting to save a little money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread