5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Etorque generator noise

Sims80

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie sport. I have same whining noise. I live in Ontario Canada. It is quite loud on cold starts. I have been planning on getting it looked at

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine makes as much noise as an alternator, meaning none that I can hear. If you can hear it, I would absolutely assume something is wrong.

Legenxxdary

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn that has also developed a low pitched whine noise at 700 RPM. I have taken it to several auto shops as well as the dealership who all say they either can’t find where exactly it’s located and/or it doesn’t sound concerning. This noise began immediately after the PCM, TCM, and HCP were updated. Any thoughts?

Laramiepete

Reaction score
Mine is in the shop rigth now for a whining noise, they told me there was a flash for this but when applied it did not solve the problem. I will update when I receive word.

J440

Reaction score
Owner 2021 ram 1500 limited night edition with 8300 miles. Since purchase I started hearing whining noise between 500-700 rpms. Took to dealership of purchase and they said it was normal after having me sit in another Etorque. They said it’s related to generator charging hybrid battery while idle. I somewhat reluctantly agreed but annoying sound continues. I am still in process of investigating into this. Does anyone else with Etorque 5.7 L hemi have this problem? I’m planning on driving this truck for many miles but concerned this noise is associated with problem that may come up later after warranty expires $$$$.
Also for truck at price point of 72K it seems not right to have such an annoying noise to be normal.
I've been dealing with the same issue. Its very noticeable at 700 rpm I've been told the same story about it being a characteristic of the Etourqe but I'm doubtful. It sounds more like a loud transmission hydraulic pump or a faulty bearing somewhere. I've tried to locate the exact location where the noise is being produced but it doesn't seem to emanate from the etourqe. It seems its most loud around the aluminum driveshaft almost like its ringing causing the noise to be amplified. Let me know if you get anywhere with the dealership. Good luck.

Markdk

Reaction score
I have noticed the same whining/whirring sound that mimics the transmission shifts. Taking it to the dealer to see what they have to say about it as I don’t want to get a large repair bill once the warranty expires.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I just started experiencing a whining/moaning noise as well (5.7 etorque). No clue where it's coming from, but it's noticeable at times over the sound of the radio. Once it did it upon startup as I was backing out of the driveway, that one was pretty loud. For the past week it's been happening just driving down the road, perhaps more noticeable as I slow down coming to a light. It doesn't do it at idle (right now) so I have no way to really pinpoint where it's coming from. I've got maybe 5,400 miles on the truck.

jvahey

Reaction score
I have a 19 5.7 with etorque. 27K. This past winter I noticed a high pitch squeal in cold weather, and I feels like truck is in 4 HI? Mileage down to 8.5. I believe the etorque generator or a idler/tensioner is at fault. Dealer can't find a problem.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
35k here, no noises from the Hemi / Etrq other than the manifold leak that they're supposed to fix next week.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
I hear it on mine. It's a very high pitched noise I believe comes from the stereo speakers. My wife can't hear it, my kids can. I only notice it within the first 5-10 minutes of driving in the morning with windows rolled up, radio on but turned down to zero volume (or a source like USB when there's no USB connected) and low - near idle - engine rpm and under 10-15 mph. Like when you're lightly accelerating from a stop. I've got 15k on mine and I didn't start noticing it till the last few thousand miles or so. Almost seems like it does it after it's been sitting a while and the battery needs some extra juice.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had two trucks with eTorque and neither of them made or make any noise.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
As an update, my earlier post was made when I had 5,400 miles on the truck and I would occasionally hear those noises. I've got just over 10,000 miles on it now and I can't recall the last time I heard any noises. The truck just stopped doing it somewhere along the way.

Shawn_m

Reaction score
Went camping this weekend and was pulling 4k pound camper. I didn't notice the sound when I typically do. But I did notice it a few times at highway speeds going down hill when the trans would downshift. I don't know, growing up as a kid in the 80's/90's that always installed his own car stereos and had to deal with alternator noise in the speakers, I'm not super annoyed by hearing it every now and then with this truck. As far as annoyances go with the truck it's not even top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread