5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

etorque does more than help with starts and smooth out shifts ....

Jackham

Reaction score
Video by FCA and one of their engineers discusses how etorque helps at highway speeds. Check it out at about the 2:40 point in the video.

Etorque Systems Help at highway speeds discussed at 2:40 point in this FCA video
Yes. This is the cats meow on how it works. I posted this several months ago. It is a bit weird to me how these truck companies like FCA, Ford, and Chevy do such a pathetic job utiliizing the tech available in Youtube to fully express their products. Instead you have to search for tid bits while guys take shots at the product that sound sound, but are not.

Jackham

Reaction score
Yeah, but are you seeing the mpg numbers? Any amount of money over a 0% improvement in fuel economy is considered a wasted investment, no?
i call bogus on this type of comment. Given how some guys drive how can you know. I bet it is what it says it is, but if you drive like crap then you are not going to see improvement. Then how would you know if you have a lead foot if you are comparing to someone who really knows how to drive their truck. So I think individual testimonies on MPG are pretty worthless.

Jackham

Reaction score
In the end does it really matter? For what you pay for it and real world mpg gains you would probably not pay it off in the end. And then what happens when the battery goes out and you are out of warranty? More $$$.
Your as bad as the guys who try to trash solar and wind power if it doesn't pay the cost back in a week. Their are a lot of associated benefits to tech like this and merely ignoring them does not convince me, but it does make people who didin't get it feel better about themselves.

An example. Power goes out. You still have power, your family is safe. Now, lets put a price on that. ...Yep.

Zinger

Reaction score
Your as bad as the guys who try to trash solar and wind power if it doesn't pay the cost back in a week. Their are a lot of associated benefits to tech like this and merely ignoring them does not convince me, but it does make people who didin't get it feel better about themselves.

An example. Power goes out. You still have power, your family is safe. Now, lets put a price on that. ...Yep.

Actually, solar does not provide power in the event of an outage, it is completely about revenue generation. Not sure about wind but I imagine it's the same.

Jackham

Reaction score
Actually, solar does not provide power in the event of an outage, it is completely about revenue generation. Not sure about wind but I imagine it's the same.
That is ridiculous. You are so off the wall.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The point made about peak torque falling off at a low RPM on the BSG servo motor is not accurate. DC Brushless service motors have a rated base speed depending on the design. It's typically 1200 rpm or higher and often 6000 rpm or more. We don't have that info. The BSG motor is capable of producing constant torque up to it's rated base speed. DC (and AC) Brushless Servo motors typically generate a peak of 280% rated torque and can do so at any speed up to the rated base speed of the motor...but only for short durations due to thermal limits (overheating) of the BSG.

If someone can get me the ratings for the BSG motor and teeth count on the BSG drive pulley and the Crankshaft, I'll gladly calculate the engine RPMs that span the operating range of the BSG.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the key statement you both agree on is that “...eTorque helps at highway speeds and steady-state cruising...”

I’m not sure anyone thinks that 130 lb-ft of torque is added under those conditions; surely the system only momentarily produces that output at low RPM.
Correct. It has been stated in numerous interviews that Etorque assist at low RPM, and regens during shifts by capturing energy as the motor rpms drop. There are various other functions it regens or assist with. Steady state running torque assist is NOT one of them! That would defy physics since Etourque gets all of it's power from the Hemi anyways. It's basic function is to capture wasted energy during deceleration to operate the start/stop and assist with braking and shifts.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. It has been stated in numerous interviews that Etorque assist at low RPM, and regens during shifts by capturing energy as the motor rpms drop. There are various other functions it regens or assist with. Steady state running torque assist is NOT one of them! That would defy physics since Etourque gets all of it's power from the Hemi anyways. It's basic function is to capture wasted energy during deceleration to operate the start/stop and assist with braking and shifts.
when I pull 1500 lbs utility trailer and go down small hills and inclines most often do not have to touch the breaks! Very happy with the ET and the Truck.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i call bogus on this type of comment. Given how some guys drive how can you know. I bet it is what it says it is, but if you drive like crap then you are not going to see improvement. Then how would you know if you have a lead foot if you are comparing to someone who really knows how to drive their truck. So I think individual testimonies on MPG are pretty worthless.

I understand what you're saying, but the point of my comment was, given how many of us aren't seeing the eTorque mileage improvement, (which is what it's for), how can we put a price on it's worth?

To your point, you don't know how people drive, they could be driving less aggressive than you're supposed to in order to see the mileage, and still not see it. For me, driving in the city, highway, and mixed, I just don't get what it says on the sticker. I "know" how to drive my truck, and in every other vehicle I've ever had, I've gotten exactly what the sticker says I should get in the appropriate situations. In this new Ram however, my mixed driving is around 15.5-16 right now, and that's lower than the city rating, and (to me), way too far off from the 19mpg combined rating I'm supposed to have.

Jackham

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but the point of my comment was, given how many of us aren't seeing the eTorque mileage improvement, (which is what it's for), how can we put a price on it's worth?

To your point, you don't know how people drive, they could be driving less aggressive than you're supposed to in order to see the mileage, and still not see it. For me, driving in the city, highway, and mixed, I just don't get what it says on the sticker. I "know" how to drive my truck, and in every other vehicle I've ever had, I've gotten exactly what the sticker says I should get in the appropriate situations. In this new Ram however, my mixed driving is around 15.5-16 right now, and that's lower than the city rating, and (to me), way too far off from the 19mpg combined rating I'm supposed to have.
Point taken. I have not driven mine yet and won't pick it up till the 12th. But I warn you, if I find your data bogus I will let you know. Everybody thinks they know how to drive their truck, but it seems few do.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But I warn you

I'm all for data my man, but the thing with data is, it can be skewed very easily. The fact that you're already trying to prove your "data" superior to mine without even having your truck is pretty ridiculous. And even if you did have your truck, what makes you the judge and jury on this subject? I'm no "hypermiler", but I also don't expect to get 20mpg with my foot to the floor all the time. That's my validation for my issue with this system. I drive the same way I did in every other vehicle that met it's target mpg points. And when I did drive like a maniac, or use remote start a lot, etc, etc, I adjusted my expectations accordingly. Don't know if that helps you approve of my driving style and expectations of my truck, but either way, I'll sleep fine tonight I suspect. Thanks for the warning.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At around 2200 miles with ET and combo driving more towards Rural then City driving will hilly terrains at 18.8 to 19.2 average as of 210 mile trip of combo on 4-2-19.

timmbos

Reaction score
Boy...I'd hate to know what it costs to replace that giant generator or other parts of the E-torque system when the warranty is up!

hammer722

Reaction score
New to the forum. Great back and forth from all you guys on ET (how it works, benefits or lack there of, etc)! Informative and entertaining. Haha. Anyway, I haven't purchased the new 1500 yet (leaning Rebel) but am going back and forth on whether to get one with ET or to pass on it. From everything that I've read and seen so far, ET sounds like a great concept but the mpg savings just aren't there yet.... Just like anything new, I'm sure FTC will be able to increase ET output in future years but 1 mpg savings can be had just by changing driving habits

Brandon_Vickers

Reaction score
Boy...I'd hate to know what it costs to replace that giant generator or other parts of the E-torque system when the warranty is up!

Little known fact.

The Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly & 48 Volt Power Pack Unit as well as the Catalytic Converter & Powertrain Control Module are covered (in the USA) for 8 years or 80,000 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Little known fact.

The Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly & 48 Volt Power Pack Unit as well as the Catalytic Converter & Powertrain Control Module are covered (in the USA) for 8 years or 80,000 miles.
True that (as pointed out on earlier threads).

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was an interesting conversation! My thoughts:

1. I don't have e-torque so I have nothing to add to that discussion.
2. I just spent ~$37k on a new truck. Whether I spend or save $500 extra per year on fuel is immaterial.
3. Fuel economy in all full-size, 4WD trucks sucks compared to just about any other consumer vehicle.
4. It's cool they added this technology, as you can't make any improvements to anything if you aren't willing to add/try new stuff.
5. I have no idea what my fuel economy is and I'm not sure I care (see #2). I always beat car sticker estimates and assume I will do so in this truck too.

Users who are viewing this thread