5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I love my eTorque, it was a must have for me. At a red light stop, On green, I can move across the intersection like a bullet.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I bought during the "shortage" so decided $1200 was too much for my taste and got other options instead.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I bought during the "shortage" so decided $1200 was too much for my taste and got other options instead.
I could see that. And at $200 (now), it seems like a no-brainer.

Hez

Reaction score
Almost 2800 miles since leasing it 6 months ago. My only issues with the eTorque are gas mileage nowhere close to sticker advertised, as previously mentioned, and the brake pedal has to maintain constant significant pressure when engaged in order for the truck not to start back up at stop lights. I asked my dealership if this could be adjusted and they said it was not likely.

When I’m sitting at a red light and I know it’s gonna be a minute....once the eTorque shuts the truck off I put on the eBrake. At this point you can let your foot off the brake and the truck will stay off...but be ready to disengage it quick or prepared to be honked at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You guys must have some really long lights if you're worried about holding the brake pedal down... LOL. Long traffic lights where I live are like 30 seconds. I would go nuts having to wait on lights much longer than that.

Hez

Reaction score
You guys must have some really long lights if you're worried about holding the brake pedal down... LOL. Long traffic lights where I live are like 30 seconds. I would go nuts having to wait on lights much longer than that.

You’ve never been to central Florida have you? Lol

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
When I’m sitting at a red light and I know it’s gonna be a minute....once the eTorque shuts the truck off I put on the eBrake. At this point you can let your foot off the brake and the truck will stay off...but be ready to disengage it quick or prepared to be honked at

I did not know this was an option. Thank you for that tip.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Yes long is subjective, but this happens almost daily. Happened twice when I was running around town this morning.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You’ve never been to central Florida have you? Lol

Haha...nope. I couldn't live much farther away from there and still be in the continental US.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problems at all with my 2019.

Variable brake pressure to restart isn't a feature? I use it like one.

I really like eTorque. Will be interesting to see how the system reduces wear on the transmission and brakes.

If there were a lot of problems with their system, we'd know about it. Most people that are happy with a product aren't seeking out forums, IMO.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm only 3k mille into my 2020 Ram Laramie with ETorque but so far so good. I have nothing negative whatsoever. The gas milage isn't what was advertised but nothing ever is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
You have the 3.21 or 3.92 gears?

Zig10

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with mine so far (3500 miles). Interestingly enough, my gas mileage appears to be about the same whether I am driving city or highway. I fluctuate between 17.3 MPG and 18.1 MPG and that's it. Probably could use another overdrive with the 3.92 rear.

Hez

Reaction score
Haha...nope. I couldn't live much farther away from there and still be in the continental US.

Man, it's horrible! The lack of freeways (non-toll roads) forces so much traffic to the side roads and back roads of these under-funded small towns that couldn't adapt to the rapid population boom...

You find yourself sitting at some red lights 2 or 3 minutes...easy. Don't dare venture around Disney and the attractions....especially in the heavy tourist season...

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I bought mine - because I couldn't find a truck in the color/optioned the way I wanted, without it.

That being said - don't really see much of a difference.

Stop/Start on my previous Honda Pilot was annoying - to the point where I pushed the button automatically to disable when I started the car. This iteration appears to be less "annoying", the restarts are faster and smoother than a motor that uses the regular starter motor for restarts. It doesn't engage when it's really hot down here (and I run my A/C in "Auto - Low" - so I get a "disabled - cabin temp' message a lot of the time). I also frequently run without my seatbelt (thank g-d for Tazer chime disable), so that disables the system also (by whatever logic they use in that instance).

My mileage is horrible anyways (though I didn't buy a 5.7 hemi with expectations of fuel economy, nor was the etourque a consideration).

Towing - having nothing to reference it to - I can't honestly say that I got more of a "bump" when taking off with the etorque. I believe the main "feature" that it was supposed to provide, was more torque on launches under load. Unless you're doing 0-60 times at max capacity - not sure that you're going to see a difference that justifies its existence either way.

As mentioned previously - I bought "off the lot" (versus ordering to spec). So it really wasn't a choice, as most trucks are ordered for dealer inventory with the system (for whatever reason). If I were to be purchasing again - not sure if it would be a "deciding factor" for me, one way or the other...

Rick

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine - because I couldn't find a truck in the color/optioned the way I wanted, without it.
My dad has a 2020 Limited with eTorque and it has been trouble-free for him and likes it. His ecomony is low (around 13 mpg) since all he does is short hops around the city. I'm sure it would be lower without eTorque.

If my truck had the eTorque I would have gotten it. It was the truck I wanted (bought off the lot) and didn't have it so I didn't get it. eTorque wasn't a deal-breaker for me (although the battery behind the rear seat was a concern) but the $1200 price for that option when I bought was not very enticing.

You'll probably find a lot of these comments as many of us buy off the lot. It's hard to find trucks with the options you want so when you find one that has your "must-haves" you'll take the options you don't want or care about to get that truck as long as it's within budget.

Some areas have hard combinations to find and some dealerships seem to order a lot of the same package but in different colors. When I bought it was hard to find a Big Horn with the Premium LED Lighting or a Laramie with the ORG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread