5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problems at all with my 2019.

Variable brake pressure to restart isn't a feature? I use it like one.

I really like eTorque. Will be interesting to see how the system reduces wear on the transmission and brakes.

If there were a lot of problems with their system, we'd know about it. Most people that are happy with a product aren't seeking out forums, IMO.
It doesn't reduce wear on transmission, only emissions and gas...maybe a little on the engine.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had it in two different trucks, a 2019 Limited and now my 2020 Limited totaling 2+ years of ownership. I love the e-torque and have had zero issues. There have been a few reports of failed systems here, but considering that there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks the amount of issues overall is really small. I have some fairly long stops and I love not burning/wasting gas during that time. If it is too cold or hot the truck will automatically restart to maintain a constant cabin temperature.

Rexx

Reaction score
I have it on my 2020 Limited and I like it but I would’ve been okay without it. I have about 5000 miles on it so far and the system works very well, but I’m not seeing too much in the way of better gas mileage. I use to have a 2016 Longhorn and my gas mileage around town is pretty similar so far.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't reduce wear on transmission, only emissions and gas...maybe a little on the engine.
Yes it does. Do some more research on it. Specifically, rather than using the transmission clutch packs to slow down the engine speed to upshift gears like a normal vehicle, the starter-generator increases load on the drive belt (& consequently the engine) causing the engine to slow down, recapturing a negligible amount of electric energy, and saving transmission wear.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not had any issues with the Etorque on my 2019. 2 years and 25,000 miles.

Boston

Reaction score
It's a feature you don't read much about here. Probably because it's not a problem area.

Since you will be towing, get the 33 gallon tank. The 23 gallon seems to be a standard feature etorque engines.

The etorque will significantly reduce your payload capacity by around 200lbs. No bueno for towing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's a feature you don't read much about here. Probably because it's not a problem area.

Since you will be towing, get the 33 gallon tank. The 23 gallon seems to be a standard feature etorque engines.

The etorque will significantly reduce your payload capacity by around 200lbs. No bueno for towing.
It’s an 80 lb payload hit, as stated previously.

Ironically, the mythical “max tow” configuration requires eTorque.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes it does. Do some more research on it. Specifically, rather than using the transmission clutch packs to slow down the engine speed to upshift gears like a normal vehicle, the starter-generator increases load on the drive belt (& consequently the engine) causing the engine to slow down, recapturing a negligible amount of electric energy, and saving transmission wear.
Well my Etorque engine downshifts when slowing down so how do you explain that? Lol. I've done the research, what you're talking about is "regenerative braking" the Etorque information never once mentions the transmission. So where are you getting this assumption from?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not even close to a 200lb payload reduction. Where did that come from? Lol.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Purchased mine off the lot as well. Love the truck, but I really miss my extended range fuel tank I had in my F-150. Is there even an option for a bigger tank on these etorque engines?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well my Etorque engine downshifts when slowing down so how do you explain that? Lol. I've done the research, what you're talking about is "regenerative braking" the Etorque information never once mentions the transmission. So where are you getting this assumption from?

I've read that too (saving wear on the trans by slowing the engine rather than engage the clutches) in the tech features of one of the mopar videos on etorque

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read that too (saving wear on the trans by slowing the engine rather than engage the clutches) in the tech features of one of the mopar videos on etorque

Be careful with those "green reports" those are the guys that used to say how the lithium ion Tesla batteries were made to be eco friendly and how they were built using certain methods that later proved to be completely false (like how the lithium was mined using child labor as we later found out) and also...how neither Chrysler, ZF or Mopar make ANY of those statements regarding the Etorque like the above article. I don't believe a word of it. Even RAM doesn't mention anything about the transmission when explaining Etorque.

dandar

Reaction score
Factory warranty for E-Torque is 8 years or 80K miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
See the "How the system works" section of this article, for example:

Wch_chip

Reaction score
There's a video on you tube with Nick Cappa talking about it. He works for RAM and mentions it helping during shifts.

Last edited:

Drewster

Reaction score

They also use eTorque to control crankshaft speed - it's why they start and stop smoother at stop lights. Yes, the transmission still downshifts and upshifts, but normally the clutches do work to match the crank speed for the desired gear. With eTorque, the motor can help accelerate and decelerate the crank, so the clutches aren't doing as much work and the shifts are smoother.
Here's an FCA rep talking about exactly that - the gas engine does this to an extent already, but it's just one example of how an electric motor can react faster and doesn't use fuel (edit 4:42 is where he specifically mentions using eTorque rather than clutches)

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Be careful with those "green reports" those are the guys that used to say how the lithium ion Tesla batteries were made to be eco friendly and how they were built using certain methods that later proved to be completely false (like how the lithium was mined using child labor as we later found out) and also...how neither Chrysler, ZF or Mopar make ANY of those statements regarding the Etorque like the above article. I don't believe a word of it. Even RAM doesn't mention anything about the transmission when explaining Etorque.

Thats just one place I've sen it and found on a quick search. I saw it on an actual mopar/fca video about etorque. I think the above video is the one

Zig10

Reaction score
Purchased mine off the lot as well. Love the truck, but I really miss my extended range fuel tank I had in my F-150. Is there even an option for a bigger tank on these etorque engines?
I've got the 33 gallon tank on mine with the e-torque. It was a deal breaker to not have the big tank because I tow with it.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats just one place I've sen it and found on a quick search. I saw it on an actual mopar/fca video about etorque. I think the above video is the one
That makes sense...those videos came out after I did all of the research and looked up the info. But even then...plays such a small role in the transmission...hardly worth mentioning. Definitely not the selling point of Etorque lol

Users who are viewing this thread