5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque ? Anyone happy with it? Reliability ?

AdrianVall

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some quick answers here! I'm currently in the process of potentially trading in my 20' Gladiator for a 20' Ram Rebel. It has the 5.7L ETorque with 12" UConnect and Panoramic roof. It looks BEAUTIFUL. I need it for the towing capacity.

However, I'm very hesitant of committing to it because of the MANY problems I've read about the ETorque. I know when you log onto these forums, you hear more complaints about stuff like this, so I wanted to see if anyone is happy with there ETorque system or if there are too many reliability concerns. I LOVE my Jeep Gladiator and I don't want to get into something that will break down any time soon.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Adrian

Mitragliatrice

Reaction score
I'm only 3k mille into my 2020 Ram Laramie with ETorque but so far so good. I have nothing negative whatsoever. The gas milage isn't what was advertised but nothing ever is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hez

Reaction score
I absolutely love the eTorque...and I was in the same camp as you before I owned it....thought it would be nothing but problems and was very hesitant....

Now, I can't imagine the truck without it. I spend a lot of time sitting at red lights, and so I see a tremendous value in it. The stop/start is very minimal and could easily go unnoticed...

I tow my bass boat with it every weekend....when in Tow/Haul mode, that stop/start is disabled...along with the MDS.

Not to mention the eTorque has an 8 year/80,000 mile warranty....

I actually don't have 1 single complaint about the eTorque

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check that door sticker for your real payload/towing. I can't comment on the E-torque, but it's heavier than my truck. Mine seems to be similarly equipped otherwise, and my payload is 1513. Since you said you needed it for towing just be aware you will run out of payload far before you reach your towing capacity.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the etorque on my 2020 Laramie. I bought it almost a year ago. Unlike Hez, I don't sit at red light much, and the etorque really doesn't do a thing for my fuel economy. If you will be driving in a lot of city traffic, or your commute has a lot of stops, then you might see some benefit from the system.

Having said that, I haven't had any problems with it. In all honesty I'd rather that it didn't have etorque, but so far it hasn't been an issue either. The warranty will cover me if there is ever a problem with it, but for me just having to deal with the hassle at the dealership is as bad as dealing with the truck breaking down on my normal commute. If I had the choice to do it over I'd have kept looking until I found one without etorque.

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Overall, pretty good. I did have an issue where mine went out at exactly 1k miles at a stoplight. That was embarrassing...brand new truck dead in an intersection. Turns out the generator went bad and had to be replaced, which took them about 3 days to figure out. Now all fixed and at 4700 miles with no complaints. Stop start is really not that noticeable as others have mentioned but not sure it really does much for the overall economy of the truck.

RamVader

Reaction score
My truck with E-Torque is about two months old with a 2400 miles. So far no problems. I do about 95% city driving. According to my Fuelly app I’m only getting 11.5 miles to the gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryT

Reaction score
42K on mine with no issues, averaging 22mpg combined driving, 5.7. I do believe the eTorque system adds 225 pounds over the normal 5.7.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some quick answers here! I'm currently in the process of potentially trading in my 20' Gladiator for a 20' Ram Rebel. It has the 5.7L ETorque with 12" UConnect and Panoramic roof. It looks BEAUTIFUL. I need it for the towing capacity.

However, I'm very hesitant of committing to it because of the MANY problems I've read about the ETorque. I know when you log onto these forums, you hear more complaints about stuff like this, so I wanted to see if anyone is happy with there ETorque system or if there are too many reliability concerns. I LOVE my Jeep Gladiator and I don't want to get into something that will break down any time soon.

So, what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Adrian
There’ve only been a few eTorque-related issues reported—most commonly a dead battery. I should know; I was an early member of this forum (now 30k+ members), the first to provide a real-world review of the system, and among the first to order a truck with it (May 2018). I admit to spending too much time here ;)

In response to your question, yes, we like it. We’ve experienced zero negatives with the system in 2+ years since delivery. I do wish it made a more obvious impact on mileage, but it does everything else well.

AdrianVall

Reaction score
Thank you for all the great responses everyone! These posts have definitely been very helpful and more reassuring. I'd love to hear more if anyone has anything to share!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 39K miles on mine and it is a must for towing heavy. Haven't had any trouble with it and my gas mileage while not towing is around 16.2 with the 3.92 Gears. I had issues with the charging system early on but it was a software problem with the 12 Inch infotainment unit and attached modules, and not the eTorque itself. With my 9,300 Lb boat in tow I can accelerate just the same as traffic from a red light stop and that is Gold!

Drewster

Reaction score
7,000 miles on my 2020 and no issues. Most of those miles are towing a 6,000 lb trailer, and I frequently leave Tow/ Haul off on flat terrain since it can get 1-2 MPG more depending on the situation without really changing trans temp (13.5-14.5 towing at 5 over the speed limit).

My daily commute is super short - about 5 miles of stop lights - to where the trans doesn't have time to warm up. I just barely touch the brake pedal coasting into red lights so the system knows to charge, accelerate moderately, and the truck gets about 16.5 mpg. My 2004 Hemi (No MDS, no nothing) would get about 12 MPG on the same commute, so the MDS and e-Torque definitely make a difference.

nburd

Reaction score
I'm only 3k mille into my 2020 Ram Laramie with ETorque but so far so good. I have nothing negative whatsoever. The gas milage isn't what was advertised but nothing ever is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I have 3K miles too. No issues. I think my gas mileage is spot on with the sticker.

The Critic

Reaction score
No issues with mine, 2700 miles. I spent 211K in a Prius with no battery or inverter issues, so any "hybrid" system does not scare me.

The eTorque models are also supposed to shift smoother due to contribution from the electric motor. Plus they have some regenerative braking benefits as well.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Almost 2800 miles since leasing it 6 months ago. My only issues with the eTorque are gas mileage nowhere close to sticker advertised, as previously mentioned, and the brake pedal has to maintain constant significant pressure when engaged in order for the truck not to start back up at stop lights. I asked my dealership if this could be adjusted and they said it was not likely.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20k with towing and some long trips - no issues w/eTorque; it's nice at long lights, so if you stop and go often, probably a nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread