5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine stalled / shut off

SoFloRebel

Reaction score
I had posted earlier in this thread and the issue has occurred again but worse this time…the truck once again shut down coming away from a stop, but this time it wouldn’t start back up. I was left in the middle of a busy intersection and had to get help to push the truck out of the way. This is a major safety issue. The dealer attributed it to the battery the first time which didn’t make much sense…the battery was getting drained by some other component. I will not he taking the truck back until this has been given a thorough look. It’s a shame that 50K trucks can’t properly drive down the road
Just got my truck back from the dealer after 3 weeks. They completed the TSB, replacing the etorque generator (alternator). It looks like the part is on the 3rd or 4th revision based on the part number (68438054-AD), so hopefully they’ve fixed whatever issue it had. Fingers crossed that it’s smooth sailing from here.

voodoo93

Reaction score
Just had

This exact thing just happened to me - 2021 Limited - e-Torque. Driving on 35 MPH road, slowed to make right into gas station and the truck died, same message "place vehicle in park before starting" - I tried to coast out of the way of the driveway and at about 1-2 mph the brake engaged to auto stop. No problems with restart, I will be contacting dealer but sounds like no definitive cause or known solution.
Had my second occurrence of this yesterday - basically same situation as last - slowing from 35-40 MPH to make right hand turn - truck shut off. Got the "Shift to P to Start" message, followed by "Shifter Autocorrect Active", then after restarting got the message "Park Brake Auto Engaged Press Brake + Push Switch to Release" and "Safe-Hold Temporarily Disabled" and "AutoPark Disabled".

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Had my second occurrence of this yesterday - basically same situation as last - slowing from 35-40 MPH to make right hand turn - truck shut off. Got the "Shift to P to Start" message, followed by "Shifter Autocorrect Active", then after restarting got the message "Park Brake Auto Engaged Press Brake + Push Switch to Release" and "Safe-Hold Temporarily Disabled" and "AutoPark Disabled".
Wow! That could get bad in a quick way if it locks up your transmission and the E-brake while you're still moving. That is not your run-of-the-mill issue, even though I'd wager it's probably as simple as a flaky/bad sensor somewhere. I hope you can get some resolution before something truly bad happens.

Contikipaul

Reaction score
Well everyone, I am the latest member of this ever-growing club of Ram 1500 eTorque Stall in the middle of a rolling low speed turn club. Happened 3 days ago, 2400 miles. Same situation as almost everyone else, came to a T-junction and slowed to maybe 4-5 mph and turned left only for it to die and stop. In my prior vehicle a Nissan Pathfinder if the engine stopped at speed, any speed, it automatically went into Neutral and you could coast, this just remained in Drive and quickly stopped. Took me a second, but it started right away. Then the parking brake was on and I tried to go and it was ........just confusing. Someone indicated we are not driving it enough, I also drive it sparingly with work from home and still having the aforementioned 08 Pathfinder.

I chaulked it up to a weird incident and drove home. Today, I decided to google the issue just to be sure there wasn't a broader issue and here we are, yes there is a broader issue. I have filed a report with the NHTSA (Great advice to the posters who suggested it) and will be calling the local Service Department next time they open and get them to look at it.

Someone is going to get killed if this doesn't get fixed. As I drove off, I thanked my guardian angel. Like most of you, I have been in driving situations where you are trying to get into a road and you have a narrow window, or don't want to be caught behind an 18 wheeler or if you punch it you will be able to make the green light. This is serious.

Shorty44

Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the dealer after 3 weeks. They completed the TSB, replacing the etorque generator (alternator). It looks like the part is on the 3rd or 4th revision based on the part number (68438054-AD), so hopefully they’ve fixed whatever issue it had. Fingers crossed that it’s smooth sailing from here.
what TSB? Is it a new one?

Shorty44

Reaction score
Thanks, just did a ncds arbitration on the truck. We will see how that goes. Last time I had it in the shop STAR stated “no resolution for repair at this time”.

Ozwaldthedog

Reaction score
Just as I fixed the ac drain leak in my 21 laramie etourque with 5800 miles this week, I drove into work this morning and had the same issue as yall. Low speed about 10 MPH engine shuts off, come to a complete stop truck automatically puts ebrake on, I put the truck in park, restart engine and release the brake and everything starts moving again...... I really wish i had take photos of all the information on the screen, there was a lot of it. Also noticed the shift light indicators were flashing in a weird sequence.

I have filed a complaint to NHTSA as well. I wont waste my time with the dealer because they are already so backed up and dont have loaners or rentals available.

Trip333

Reaction score
Did you ever get a solution to your issue? I have a 2021 Rebel with Etorque. At 350 miles it cut off when making a right turn, leaving me helpless in the center of the road. Three weeks later happened again, making right turn. Took to dealership and they seemed lost, said they never heard of this issue. I directed them to Ram forums and NHTSA where it's a common occurrence to many owners. They kept my truck for a day and said they couldn't replicate it and cod not find a solution or cause. A month later happened again. Right turn. I'm fed up! Pissed! Now dealership wants to keep it for a week and let a tech drive it back and forth home. I'm not cool with that. It's a safety issue and they need to address this issue before someone gets hurt.

Shorty44

Reaction score
Well I won arbitration and ram has to replace my truck!!! My advice is take videos of the incidents when they occur. And if you have not contacted ram cares then do so and they can reimburse you for a rental. As for a solution, as I stated previously STAR stated on my work order “no resolution for repair at this time “
Good luck, I am sure this is just the beginning of a new adventure with ram but at least I will have this lemon replaced.

Hawk85

Reaction score
Add us to the list. Turning left into a parking lot today, engine shuts off and all dash lights illuminate. No warning or previous issues. Was able to get it started and drove fine afterwards. Filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

r2d2batteries

Reaction score
Glad I found this forum. This has happened twice to me over the last 6 months in my 2021 Laramie with eTorque. Both times I was accelerating after a red light or stop sign. Has anyone had any luck recently with a resolution?

Jstro

Reaction score
Glad I found this forum. This has happened twice to me over the last 6 months in my 2021 Laramie with eTorque. Both times I was accelerating after a red light or stop sign. Has anyone had any luck recently with a resolution?

I’ve haven’t had too much luck. I filed a report with the NHTSA and heard back from them once, nothing since. You should go ahead a file a complaint if you haven’t yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LV426

Reaction score
I just wanted to add an observation to this thread (I may even create another), I'm not sure if this is associated to this issue because I haven't had a full blown stall out.

When making a fairly hard turn with a slight incline with the truck already in motion (like out of a parking lot onto main road for example) and then I completely floor it, I get a massive hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear. It almost feels like its gonna stall for a sec (truck kind of surges) and then 2nd kicks in it and it goes through the rest of the gears without issue. This has happened about 3 or 4 times to me now (same formula of full turning & slight incline). It does not happen from a dead stop, like at a light.

Since there are no warning lights or anything there's not much I can really do but I wonder if this is just business as usual for this particular truck. I'm not worried to much because other than this it has been performing well, no complaints about the e-torque.

r2d2batteries

Reaction score
I’m curious if everyone here with this issue is using 89 octane to fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snekpete

Reaction score
I just wanted to add an observation to this thread (I may even create another), I'm not sure if this is associated to this issue because I haven't had a full blown stall out.

When making a fairly hard turn with a slight incline with the truck already in motion (like out of a parking lot onto main road for example) and then I completely floor it, I get a massive hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear. It almost feels like its gonna stall for a sec (truck kind of surges) and then 2nd kicks in it and it goes through the rest of the gears without issue. This has happened about 3 or 4 times to me now (same formula of full turning & slight incline). It does not happen from a dead stop, like at a light.

Since there are no warning lights or anything there's not much I can really do but I wonder if this is just business as usual for this particular truck. I'm not worried to much because other than this it has been performing well, no complaints about the e-torque.
Yes, these trucks do not respond well to mashing the gas pedal. A swift, smooth flooring will result in far better acceleration and performance. This is probably as designed, although I have observed some unusual surging when slowly starting forward after switching from reverse to drive, and while turning from a dead stop, always when the engine is cold. Edit to add: There does appear to be an intermittent issue, even when warm, when starting from a stop or near stop. It feels to me like the transmission has to shift from 2nd to 1st and hesitates for a bit. Sometimes the trans doesn't seem to get into 1st gear until I press on the gas, and then there is a hesitation, a slight surge, and off we go. This is probably a scenario where the MGU and trans are not playing together just right. Let me add that so far, I REALLY like this truck, warts and all.

I worked in software for 25 years. It is very likely that there are over a million lines of poorly written code residing in the PCM. There are far, far too many permutations of possible combinations of conditions and sensors to be able to even test even a majority of the possible combinations. This will result in some never to be fixed, some even found, bugs. All large software systems have them.

I have been carefully following this forum for potential issues since I got my truck last July. The low speed turning stall so far has two possible resolutions. The first, because it is the easiest, is to replace the lead acid battery. The second is to replace the throttle body. I base this on reading the forums. I also suspect that replacing and/or re-calibrating the throttle position sensor may be of value.

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
Yeah I can say with 100% certainty (in my case at least) that this seems to only happen to me when coming out of a turn and mashing it (I guess while its still considered cold). I had new tires put on yesterday, was in a parking lot I don't frequent. As I drove off and pulled out onto the main road and floored it the truck surged between 1st and 2nd again. (I stay in 4wd auto, no peeling out) Then down the road I tried it again at a light and it was fine. Other than that, truck drives fine.

Anthonyklenk

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 big horn in October. Its a "Certified pre-owned", 1 previous owner and had 17,000 miles on it, currently sitting at 23,000.

I have had Zero issues with this truck UNTIL last night.

I was on my way home, crusing a service road at 55 mph, felt a light "Thud" looked down at my guage cluster and EVERY SINGLE light on my dash was on. Everything was flashing at me that you could imagine. And when i went to apply some throttle, i realised the engine had also cut off. I coasted into a parking lot, turned the ignition off and tried to restart the truck and got NOTHING.

So I called the tow truck, which took 2.5 hours to show up and i was freezing.

Then we had to figure out how to get the truck into neutral because it would not shift out of park.

Went up to the dealership this morning to let them know what was going on and get it taken care of.

they finally called me a bit ago to tell me they found the problem.

They said it was the "Star connector in the dash" and had one on order, will be in tomorrow.

This is my first ram, so i have Zero idea what that is, or does, but that's what my issue is so far.

I'm hoping this fixes it and i don't continue to have the same issue like i've seen other people have been dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread