5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine, rear gear, type of differential

how is our power put to the ground.

• Total voters

hunter1234

Reaction score
Curious on the elocker. I was told or read in a RAM manual that it should only be used at speeds grater than 20 miles per hour, not sure if mechanically they have an issue at higher speeds, a liability issue for RAM or tire wear (could be all of the above). They are great for some off-roading and that first pull of the boat trailer on a mud access but I would assume not as effective at speed. Coming from the old school I always liked the manual air-locking locking axels when doin true 4-wheeling on rocks. Unfortunately for me those days are long gone, I have been getting the the limited slip on my past three and the just ordered 2020. I find where I need traction for both wheels (I realized it is not 100% locker) is in the snow and ice at highways speeds and the limited slip provides that, lockers can have issue in snow on grade and I would think a loss of steering , and possible too much stress on the axel. I no longer do a lot of off-road except pulling the boat out of duck marshes and lake access points and the LSD and low 4 has always worked for me. Again my opinion and the little I do know of modified rock climbers is a lot seem to have a beefy axel and a very different suspension when they have lockers on them. Curious if the one on the 1500s changes the suspension or axel - it looked like you could get it with both axels and both suspensions. I will admit I do miss shining my jeep plates on rocks and seeing 2 wheels in the air, fun times when I was young. One other point, I have never had an issue with the LSD but it may be because I change the fluid at the 30 thousand mile interval and make sure they add the additive that is or was required on my past trucks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious on the elocker. I was told or read in a RAM manual that it should only be used at speeds grater than 20 miles per hour, not sure if mechanically they have an issue at higher speeds, a liability issue for RAM or tire wear (could be all of the above). They are great for some off-roading and that first pull of the boat trailer on a mud access but I would assume not as effective at speed. Coming from the old school I always liked the manual air-locking locking axels when doin true 4-wheeling on rocks. Unfortunately for me those days are long gone, I have been getting the the limited slip on my past three and the just ordered 2020. I find where I need traction for both wheels (I realized it is not 100% locker) is in the snow and ice at highways speeds and the limited slip provides that, lockers can have issue in snow on grade and I would think a loss of steering , and possible too much stress on the axel. I no longer do a lot of off-road except pulling the boat out of duck marshes and lake access points and the LSD and low 4 has always worked for me. Again my opinion and the little I do know of modified rock climbers is a lot seem to have a beefy axel and a very different suspension when they have lockers on them. Curious if the one on the 1500s changes the suspension or axel - it looked like you could get it with both axels and both suspensions. I will admit I do miss shining my jeep plates on rocks and seeing 2 wheels in the air, fun times when I was young. One other point, I have never had an issue with the LSD but it may be because I change the fluid at the 30 thousand mile interval and make sure they add the additive that is or was required on my past trucks.
I think you have it backwards. The ELocker automatically unlocks at higher speeds (actual unlock speed depends on whether you are in Hi or Lo) and re-locks when you slow back down. As for behavior at highway speeds, I would venture that your traction control system (i.e. automated wheel-specific braking and throttle reduction) is as effective as limited-slip. I'm not knocking it; I've had LSDs on all of my previous trucks. I just don't miss it on this one, between 4WD, traction control, and the ELocker.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The anti spin isn't engaged at higher speeds either.

Atleast the eLocker you know it is engaged, the anti spin is a guessing game. Nit so much with a new truck...but as the miles add up...the anti spin will lock less often and less reliably

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And you don't have to worry about the eLocker at higher speeds, cause as @SpeedyV said, it knows to disengage itself.

So when they said it shouldn't be, they should habe known it can not be.

Chanyote66

Reaction score
5.7L 3.92 limited slip 4x4.

Sure beats my 1998 5.2 magnum 5 speed, 3.21 4x2 open diff! ( called it my 1 wheel drive truck)

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HEMI, 3.92, Open Diff and 4x4.

I really wanted the eLocker, but I never really go off-road and the traction control makes this truck stick like glue even in the rain. So I have not missed having the eLocker.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ditto. I believed the elocker was the better choice if I ordered but since it was bought off a lot, all I found were anti-slip models. Dealers around here just didn’t put the elock on the Limiteds.

Wow, just checked the dealer I bought from. $3995 option for the 2021 Limited trim night edition? Spendy... this from the description:
‘Included Options
  • Multi-Function Tailgate $995
  • Night Edition $3,995”

Last edited by a moderator:

Marine0431

Reaction score
Looks I am in the minority here with the V6 e-torque and 3.55 rear end. I do have a 4x4 with open diff. V6's are hard to find with the anti spin diff or elocker in my neck of the woods. All of the trucks are hemi's around here. (and I am sure for good reason, they are awesome, congrats to all of you that have them)
What kind of MPG are you getting?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I put open diff. Figured that didn’t count BLD

Diegoh75

Reaction score
I put open diff. Figured that didn’t count BLD
How did you put a open diff, on a 3.21 in trying to upgrade my diff because I installed a 6inch lift w/ 35inch tires on 20inch rims... trying to get better MPG/torque

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How did you put a open diff, on a 3.21 in trying to upgrade my diff because I installed a 6inch lift w/ 35inch tires on 20inch rims... trying to get better MPG/torque

You’re not going to get better mpg with a open diff.

You could regear to get back some torque. But you will also loose some mpg.

A lifted truck with 35s and mpg don’t go hand in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't put it on, i meant i put it in the survey. The truck came with an open dif. If you see "traditional axle" or whatever, its and open dif

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before asking these questions you should probably learn what an open diff is.

An open diff means it's a standard differential with out any sort of limited slip device. It has nothing to do with gear ratios. You put 35's on your truck, your gas mileage is naturally going to suffer.

It might be possible to change your rear gears to 3.92, but if you have 4x4 you'll also need to replace the entire front differential to match since you can't change the gears in that unit.

Users who are viewing this thread