5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine, rear gear, type of differential

how is our power put to the ground.

• Total voters

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to note. There are two automatics 850RE and 8HP75. They are unique to the engine though. V6 gets 850RE and Hemi gets 8HP75.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In this unscientific, what we bought poll, we can see that the take rate on the eTorque definitely was higher than Rams expected production.

Also interesting is the 3.92 was picked more often...figured more would have picked the 3.21 for expected fuel mileage.

For my driving the 3.92 is a no brainer, but I really didn't think it would have been the higher take.

Thanks for taking the time to take the polls, they are just for info, but they have helped people make decisions and some of the polls have helped get fixes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also interesting is the 3.92 was picked more often...figured more would have picked the 3.21 for expected fuel mileage.

For my driving the 3.92 is a no brainer, but I really didn't think it would have been the higher take.
As one of those that opted for the 3.92, I can say that my decision was greatly impacted by driving Rams with both axles back-to-back. Capability aside, I felt the 3.92 was necessary to put the HEMI's off-the-line driving performance on the same level as the Ford EcoBoost or GM 6.2L.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Looks I am in the minority here with the V6 e-torque and 3.55 rear end. I do have a 4x4 with open diff. V6's are hard to find with the anti spin diff or elocker in my neck of the woods. All of the trucks are hemi's around here. (and I am sure for good reason, they are awesome, congrats to all of you that have them)

myram2019

Reaction score
I drove both the 3.21 and 3.92. The 3.21 felt sluggish off the line and thru the power band. The 3.92 is a lot more responsive and more fun to drive. Just installed Pedal Commander and my smile just got bigger.

Wannabee

Reaction score
I almost got a 3.21 on the order but felt that I’d hurt resale, so wont maybe get the better mpg... I am coming from a 2015 F150 with 3.55 and the 2.7 ecoboost. Tons of power, gas mileage never met EPA, truck was “skittish” unladen... I just wish Ram had a 3.55 on the hemi instead of just the v6.
I had a '16 2.7 took me 4 months to get rid of it. LOL never not paid for a truck before. Currently have a '14 3.5 w/3.55. I like it but I'm wanting that V8 power back. I didn't realize I couldn't get the 3.55 with the Ram Hemi. Good info thanks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think more people have an open diff than are aware. When I was configuring a truck at the dealership, I wanted to get the anti-spin with e-locker. Only problem was, I was told that I can have anti-spin OR e-lock, but not both. That means anyone who checked e-locker in the poll should have also checked open diff. Just thought I'd put that out there for y'all to chew on.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are 3 choices. Open differential. Anti spin. eLocker

They are each different and not one is the same.

That said the open differential can seem like an anti spin with traction control.
An anti spin can seem like an open differential till the clutch catches. And the eLocker has more people saying it acts more like the anti spin when not engaged.

But, for this poll...you will get the standard open differential, the optional anti spin, or the optional eLocker.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not what I was told, but you really do have to take what sales reps say with a grain or two of salt. Thanks for the clarification.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct that the eLocker when not engaged is an open differential...but plenty will tell you they work as the anti spin does. But the eLocker is not optioned as an open differential. They come standard. So with out the other 2 you would check open for the poll. If you have the optional anti spin, you would check it, and the optional eLocker you would check it in the poll.

But, yes 90% of the time the sales rep is wrong... but there are some who are correct and knowledgeable and if you find one...keep them.

My 99 has an anti spin...but with 235k on it it very rarely grabs anymore ;)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats the other issue with clutch type anti-spin or limited slip axles, they wear out. I’ve heard/read that in as little as 60-70K they are basically ineffective (Ford forum). Now an elocker is mostly mechanical so it should work no matter how high your mileage. Another thing to consider...

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After coming from a hemi with the 3.21 in my 2016, the 3.92 paired with the hemi in my 2019 is a night and day difference. Especially if you're going to run bigger tires. No more gear hunting, especially on the highway for passing, and mpg difference is negligible. To me, it's a no brainer!

Users who are viewing this thread