5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine, rear gear, type of differential

how is our power put to the ground.

• Total voters

brenan00

Reaction score
5.7L with e Torque, 3.92 with e Locker, 4 X 2.
Aloha.
Just hit a 1000 miles so doing the first oil change this weekend and I will try to do the rear-end next weekend.
Wish me luck, I have seen the challenges with the oil change, the rear end seems very accessible.
Laters.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

LouNY

Reaction score
The above mentioned gear calculator has no mention of overdrive,
it is assuming a 1:1 high gear ratio we are so far past that those gear ratios have no meaning.
With 6th gear being the 1:1 ratio and 7th and 8th being overdrives.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3L V6 VM Motori Ecodiesel (not on the list of engines), E-torque is not available but is definitely not required because this newer Diesel has 480 lb/ft @ 1600 RPM
3.92 axle ratio, standard on the Rebel
e-Locker, standard on the Rebel

I’m off topic, but here in Northern Ontario Canada,
regular gas is $1.559 litre or $7.07 gallon (imperial) or $5.89 (US gallon)
diesel fuel is $1.399 litre or $6.35 gallon (imperial) or $5.28 (US gallon)
I have no regrets getting the Diesel engine, 15 months of ownership and 37,500 km (23,500 miles)with no issues
Cruising on the highway with a Rebel on 33 inch Duratrak Goodyear tires, 60 mph @ 1700 RPM and getting 31 mpg or 26 mpg US gallon, impressive!

Tnkrmdc

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi non-etorque, 3.92 and eLocker. It does not take a lot of throttle to kick traction control on. Just waiting to tune the truck, ditch MDS, level and throw on 35” tires.

Arachnidkid

Reaction score

I went with the 3.0 eco diesel, 3.92 gears, anti-spin differential. Wanted the better highway fuel economy so I went with diesel.​

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My current truck proves a point that I want to make about this thread, which is that the "take rate" can be confusing. Just because somebody buys something, that doesn't necessarily mean it's what they truly wanted.

My truck has 3.21 open diff. I would MUCH rather have 3.92 limited slip. But, the dealer had none when I leased this truck and I love everything else about the truck so I took it anyway.

So when you see that the eTorque numbers are "higher than expected" or there are many 3.21 axle trucks on the road, don't assume that is what people ordered on purpose. In most cases, dealers order inventory the way they see fit, or are allowed, and that's what ends up in the hands of consumers.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My current truck proves a point that I want to make about this thread, which is that the "take rate" can be confusing. Just because somebody buys something, that doesn't necessarily mean it's what they truly wanted.

My truck has 3.21 open diff. I would MUCH rather have 3.92 limited slip. But, the dealer had none when I leased this truck and I love everything else about the truck so I took it anyway.

So when you see that the eTorque numbers are "higher than expected" or there are many 3.21 axle trucks on the road, don't assume that is what people ordered on purpose. In most cases, dealers order inventory the way they see fit, or are allowed, and that's what ends up in the hands of consumers.
I would have rather 3.92 also, but this truck had the amenities and the color I wanted. I don't tow much anyway so not a big deal.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I deliberately bought a truck with 3.21s knowing it wasn’t going to be lifted. 3.92s are actually more common in my area on dealer lots.

Rammer470

Reaction score
Thats a Hemi 392 for you.
I was surprised and very happy I must add, that majority of Hemi owners had a 3.92 rear end. That’s the combo I just got to pull my 5000 lb TT around the country, and the survey gave me piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread