5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine knocking noise

J440

Reaction score
I am concerned about a engine noise that has become very evident in the last year. I have taken it into the dealership multiple times have been told that it is typical of the hemi and the conditionis normal. However I previously owned a 2013 hemi which was no where close to being this noisy. Im am posting a video and would be interested in any comments about this situation.
]

DmarkW

Reaction score
Agreed with above comment. When your engine cools down, try to look/reach behind the flaps at the exhaust manifold for broken bolts. Check passenger side too. If that is the issue your 5 year 60k powertrain warranty will cover it. Bad news, wait time is ridiculous. The parts for my repair just came in today, ive been waiting since mid-june.

deepc6

Reaction score
I had the same sound and issue with my 2016, it turned out to be broken exhaust manifold bolts on both side.

JLaw297

Reaction score
Mine is making that noise too, took to the dealer.. they replaced the exhaust bolts on the passenger side since one had snapped. Still sounds the same. Noise is mostly on the driver side.. I would think they would’ve done that one too if they found issue.

DmarkW

Reaction score
Mine is making that noise too, took to the dealer.. they replaced the exhaust bolts on the passenger side since one had snapped. Still sounds the same. Noise is mostly on the driver side.. I would think they would’ve done that one too if they found issue.
Crazy how different dealerships handle things. The dealer i took mine to didnt even look at my truck when I first brought it in. I told them I had a broken manifold bolt on the passenger side and they ordered replacement manifolds for both sides. Once the parts came and it got taken into the shop for repair it ended up being a broken manifold bolt on each side (last one toward the rear) and manifold was cracked on passenger. Might be worth arguing (if you need to) for new manifolds over bolt replacements while ram is still picking up the tab under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread