5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Issues at 15k miles (12/16 Update)

cmmuse

Reaction score
Purchased a 2019 Big Horn with approx. 15,300 miles from a reputable CDJR dealer. Drove it about 250 miles before hearing a small clanking sound while driving to work. Stop/Start becomes unavailable and check engine light starts flashing. Pull over and get it towed to dealership. They end up replacing a bad fuel injector and also my starter (which apparently caught on fire once they started it at the dealership.)

Fast forward to today and about 200 miles later. I’m pulling out of my driveway and it starts to make an insanely loud knocking sound. Stop/Start unavailable again and check engine light is back on. Pull over and call tow truck. Once the driver pulls it onto his flatbed I notice a lot of oil underneath the vehicle. He even made a comment that I should go to the dealership and pick out another color because this particular truck is done for.

Obviously the truck is still under the factory warranty so it’s all getting taken care of. Unfortunately I won’t know until tomorrow since the dealership I got it towed to is closed today. Highly frustrating considering the mileage of the truck but I have read about fuel injector issues on here before. I’m just wondering if anyone has had issues a 2nd time that were worse?

I’m hoping they will put a new engine in the truck this time around. The issue is I’m supposed to drive down to Florida this Friday for 11 days. Will the dealership have any issue lending me a loaner for that long? I’m more worried about taking it out of state. I really don’t want to pay for a rental car unless the dealership I bought it from pays the bill.

As far as contacting the dealership I bought it from, is there any point? They are 90 minutes away from where I live and I can’t see them doing anything about it. Just trying to get other people’s opinions. Thank you!

- Chris

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the loaner, no need to tell anyone of your travels. If the truck needs a new motor, 11 days will be a drop in the bucket for the swap. No reason to contact the selling dealer. The repairing dealer will have the VIN to get history of issues.
stay calm and collected, tough to do under the circumstances, indeed.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey so sorry to hear of the difficulty!
“Highly frustrating considering the mileage of the truck...” for sure!

I agree with thefirst reply, you don't need to say anything about the loaner. I dont think theres any “state line” limitation.

cmmuse

Reaction score
I appreciate the quick replies. I’ll give an update on what’s going on once I talk to the service department tomorrow morning.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I appreciate the quick replies. I’ll give an update on what’s going on once I talk to the service department tomorrow morning.
Thanks. Either way its not a good thing. Haters aside, this kind of stuff sometimes happens, glad its warrantied!

Patsy1099

Reaction score
If you do get a loaner check the fine print for miles and out of state exclusions, my local dealer has that I’m pretty sure. If your forced to do a rental, check with fca/ramcares about reimbursement. As a last resort, your insurance might allow for a rental allowance depending on your policy. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Total bummer and I’m sorry this happened to you. They should give you a loaner if it’s going to be a long delay. A friend of mine had her RAM at the dealer waiting for a part for three months and eventually FCA sent her a large check as compensation but she advocated hard for herself. They also fixed her rig too

you can add rentals to your insurance btw just a thought

Let us know how you make out. try not to be too dismayed by the experience. It will get sorted. Two of my friends drove my brand new 1998 Volvo C70 High Pressure Turbo off the road going around a corner too fast on a beer run. 45$k vehicle back in ‘98 was a lot of coin. Back then for a sports car. Porsche was selling 911s for about $55k then to give you an idea

they hit a few trees and bent the frame. But it was brand spanking new. So the insurance said let’s fix it - about $12k later and three months I eventually put 330k miles on it and it never complained once. I drove it hard too. It was the most reliable car I ever owned. Nothing but routine maintenance.

I bought the wagon version V70 R whenmy wife and I got pregnant and sold the C70 on eBay for about $2k.

the V70 was a total pos and a maintenance nightmare. We sold that and bought a Toyota which had a ton of problems. We sold that and bought a Land Rover and on and on

good luck!

RamCares

Reaction score
Purchased a 2019 Big Horn with approx. 15,300 miles from a reputable CDJR dealer. Drove it about 250 miles before hearing a small clanking sound while driving to work. Stop/Start becomes unavailable and check engine light starts flashing. Pull over and get it towed to dealership. They end up replacing a bad fuel injector and also my starter (which apparently caught on fire once they started it at the dealership.)

Fast forward to today and about 200 miles later. I’m pulling out of my driveway and it starts to make an insanely loud knocking sound. Stop/Start unavailable again and check engine light is back on. Pull over and call tow truck. Once the driver pulls it onto his flatbed I notice a lot of oil underneath the vehicle. He even made a comment that I should go to the dealership and pick out another color because this particular truck is done for.

Obviously the truck is still under the factory warranty so it’s all getting taken care of. Unfortunately I won’t know until tomorrow since the dealership I got it towed to is closed today. Highly frustrating considering the mileage of the truck but I have read about fuel injector issues on here before. I’m just wondering if anyone has had issues a 2nd time that were worse?

I’m hoping they will put a new engine in the truck this time around. The issue is I’m supposed to drive down to Florida this Friday for 11 days. Will the dealership have any issue lending me a loaner for that long? I’m more worried about taking it out of state. I really don’t want to pay for a rental car unless the dealership I bought it from pays the bill.

As far as contacting the dealership I bought it from, is there any point? They are 90 minutes away from where I live and I can’t see them doing anything about it. Just trying to get other people’s opinions. Thank you!

- Chris

Hi Chris,

I sincerely regret to hear of the trouble that has been associated with your ownership experience. Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If our team can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Get the loaner, no need to tell anyone of your travels. If the truck needs a new motor, 11 days will be a drop in the bucket for the swap. No reason to contact the selling dealer. The repairing dealer will have the VIN to get history of issues.
stay calm and collected, tough to do under the circumstances, indeed.
Good advice.

cmmuse

Reaction score
Well here's an update so far:

Truck needs a new engine. Not sure when that will happen. Dealer is still waiting to hear back on when they can get one. They were able to give me a nice loaner that I will drive around until it gets fixed. When I asked what happened, the service employee told me that when my fuel injector failed not too long ago, the other dealership who installed the new one did not do a good enough job cleaning out all of the fuel that got dumped into the cylinder, eventually causing one of the rods to get thrown into the block.

Hopefully they'll call me by the end of the week to give me an update on how long it will take. As long as I get it back before I have to make my first payment. I won't be very happy if I have to start paying for a truck that's been in the shop for more days than I've actually got to drive it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well here's an update so far:

Truck needs a new engine. Not sure when that will happen. Dealer is still waiting to hear back on when they can get one. They were able to give me a nice loaner that I will drive around until it gets fixed. When I asked what happened, the service employee told me that when my fuel injector failed not too long ago, the other dealership who installed the new one did not do a good enough job cleaning out all of the fuel that got dumped into the cylinder, eventually causing one of the rods to get thrown into the block.

Hopefully they'll call me by the end of the week to give me an update on how long it will take. As long as I get it back before I have to make my first payment. I won't be very happy if I have to start paying for a truck that's been in the shop for more days than I've actually got to drive it.
Oops on the other dealership tech’s work...
I’d be asking RAM/FCA to make my first payment, thank you...

yellowboy

Reaction score
You gotta love stealerships - I fight the holiday traffic today to go to my local one to get the wipers replaced (they have been skipping and chattering since day 1). I called yesterday - they said just come in , no appointment needed. SO I wait a half an hour and they tell me WE DON'T HAVE ANY WIPER'S FOR YOUR TRUCK IN STOCK- WE HAVE TO ORDER THEM !! REALLY -WIPERS ?????

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You gotta love stealerships - I fight the holiday traffic today to go to my local one to get the wipers replaced (they have been skipping and chattering since day 1). I called yesterday - they said just come in , no appointment needed. SO I wait a half an hour and they tell me WE DON'T HAVE ANY WIPER'S FOR YOUR TRUCK IN STOCK- WE HAVE TO ORDER THEM !! REALLY -WIPERS ?????
That sucks. Plain and simple. Maybe you should have “browsed the lot...”

cmmuse

Reaction score
Well guys here's an update as of 12/17:

I left to go to Florida for 12 days on 12/6 and was told my replacement engine would be in on 12/13. I was thinking to myself that it would be pretty good timing as far as getting back from FL and picking up my vehicle. Well the dealership tells me on Monday the 16th that my replacement engine has still not shown up. On Tuesday the 17th, the dealership contacts me to tell me that the engine was somehow misplaced by FCA and they were advised to order another replacement. So now the new ETA date for my engine is 12/27 which basically means I won't have my truck for the rest of 2019.

I purchased my truck on 11/13/2019 which was over a month ago. I think I've gotten to drive this truck a total of 5 days since then and it's spent all of the other days in the shop at a dealership. I've been trying to be very patient through all of this but I basically lost all of it after the dealership said FCA misplaced my first replacement engine. What a joke.

The adventure continues.....

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Well guys here's an update as of 12/17:

I left to go to Florida for 12 days on 12/6 and was told my replacement engine would be in on 12/13. I was thinking to myself that it would be pretty good timing as far as getting back from FL and picking up my vehicle. Well the dealership tells me on Monday the 16th that my replacement engine has still not shown up. On Tuesday the 17th, the dealership contacts me to tell me that the engine was somehow misplaced by FCA and they were advised to order another replacement. So now the new ETA date for my engine is 12/27 which basically means I won't have my truck for the rest of 2019.

I purchased my truck on 11/13/2019 which was over a month ago. I think I've gotten to drive this truck a total of 5 days since then and it's spent all of the other days in the shop at a dealership. I've been trying to be very patient through all of this but I basically lost all of it after the dealership said FCA misplaced my first replacement engine. What a joke.

The adventure continues.....

FCA should be picking up a monthly payment

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Agree on the credit being owed for his monthly payment, but how do you misplace an engine?

borden72

Reaction score
Open a case with Ram customer service and reach out to the executives. They have ways to help satisfy a customer. I can send you emails if needed. Usually an executive referral manager would call you back though.

Users who are viewing this thread