5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emergency Braking Experience?

tomme12

Reaction score
I had a guy merging on to an interstate, traffic was slow, but he was supposed to zipper lane ahead and braked hard and turn left. I braked to not rear-end him but then the truck went into emergency braking which seemed fine. The odd thing was when it stopped the truck it seem to lunge as if Auto Start/Stop kicked off then on real quick again and I had to brake it again. It all happened super fast in sequence. My concern was that emergency auto braking worked great, but it seems as if the eTorque system start / stop lunged the truck on start up again enough for me to hit the brakes again. It was very odd and not something I want to try to replicate. I have the software update on my 2022 that fixed some of the eTorque start/stop lunging it was doing, but this almost seemed like it confused the system. Wanted to see if anyone else has seen had this happened.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I've read a few other posts about people having close calls where the E torque pushes vehicle forward in a less than ideal situation. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience they could share on this.

tomme12

Reaction score
I've read a few other posts about people having close calls where the E torque pushes vehicle forward in a less than ideal situation. I'm curious if anyone else has any experience they could share on this.
Thats exactly what it felt like! @RamCares

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had some idiot that was holding up traffic in the left lane suddenly decide it was a good time to come across two lanes to make an exit. My emergency braking mechanism activated. It is a size 13W. When it deactivated all was normal. The antilock system worked!

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there,

We really appreciate the tag in this! Thanks so much.

We'd like to hear more about this. Have you taken it in for diagnosis with a dealer? If you'd like to us dig into this with you, can you please send us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares

tomme12

Reaction score
Hey there,

We really appreciate the tag in this! Thanks so much.

We'd like to hear more about this. Have you taken it in for diagnosis with a dealer? If you'd like to us dig into this with you, can you please send us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares
I have not taken it into a dealer yet. Its somewhat hard to replicate as how would then engage auto braking at sub 10mph and then see if it surges when it stops auto braking? It seems as if Auto Start/Stop is trying to in the eTorque to do start the engine again which causes it to surge. The recall to reprogram the eTorque from surging at rolling stops was improved, but seems as if this still may be linked to it. Just somewhat dangerous as you think its auto braking which it did because the cut me off at low speed, but then it surged as it came out of auto braking which I then had to brake again to not rear end the guy. It was quite startling for sure.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey!

Thank you so much for providing this information! We'd like to dig into this with you. Would you mind sending us a direct message?

Callie
Ram Cares

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not taken it into a dealer yet. Its somewhat hard to replicate as how would then engage auto braking at sub 10mph and then see if it surges when it stops auto braking? It seems as if Auto Start/Stop is trying to in the eTorque to do start the engine again which causes it to surge. The recall to reprogram the eTorque from surging at rolling stops was improved, but seems as if this still may be linked to it. Just somewhat dangerous as you think its auto braking which it did because the cut me off at low speed, but then it surged as it came out of auto braking which I then had to brake again to not rear end the guy. It was quite startling for sure.
You can not test the emergency braking system, I have had the joy of trying to get it to engage/activate.

If there are no DTCs and the ACC system is functioning normally, the ADAS system is functioning normally(per Stellantis).

Have you had this happen after the update to the eTorque system? I took this picture from a recent owners manual(cust couldn't get his system to come on/activate in his test settings).

1665582240087.png

tomme12

Reaction score
You can not test the emergency braking system, I have had the joy of trying to get it to engage/activate.

If there are no DTCs and the ACC system is functioning normally, the ADAS system is functioning normally(per Stellantis).

Have you had this happen after the update to the eTorque system? I took this picture from a recent owners manual(cust couldn't get his system to come on/activate in his test settings).

View attachment 140836
I had the update done in Spring I think it was? This active braking scenario happened just a week ago

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the update done in Spring I think it was? This active braking scenario happened just a week ago
There is a new update since then, there is a RSU for the eTorque update, I just updated mine(again) last weekend.

tomme12

Reaction score
I had mine at the dealer for some recall that updated the etorque start/stop system. Is there another one?

Users who are viewing this thread