5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eibach Pro-Truck Stage 1 Install

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I decided on using Eibach's Pro-Truck Stage 1 over the Stage 2 (with threaded coilovers) because the head tech rep at Eibach claimed the Stage 2 is rougher on the road. I ordered directly from Eibach, and got the kit in about a week. If anyone is doing this install on a 4x4, the correct part number is E80-27-011-02-22. Ensure you get that part number, as the spring rates are different for 2 and 4wd, but that won't stop companies from trying to sell you the wrong part. Three companies tried that with me, which is why I ordered directly from Eibach.

I was very skeptical of this kit, but have liked Eibach's products in the past so I felt like while it might not be as good as high-end kits, I wouldn't regret it. Another big motivating factor was the fact that Eibach claimed all I needed was to remove the upper strut mounts from the stock struts and put them on the Eibach kit. The time savings from doing that by buying a new pair of upper strut mounts and isolators so I didn't have to take apart the stock struts sounded great.

IMG_7039.jpg

When I opened the box, I quickly learned that what one of the techs told me about only needing upper strut mounts was incorrect. I called and requested the head tech help representative, and he told me that they couldn't source the lower strut mount from the manufacturer without buying a pair of new shocks and that is not cost-effective. While I agree with that, I purchased this kit partially because I wanted to just uninstall the old struts and toss them in a corner for re-installation later. At this point, I was already too invested emotionally into this to return them.

I decided to add the awesome Readylift Upper Control Arms (UCA's) to the install to help with ball joint angles after the upgrade. The Eibach head tech rep said this wasn't necessary but would help, so I decided to install them. I ended up buying a whole Readylift 2" front level kit from TireRack because I got the whole kit on sale and shipped for $33 less than the cheapest price I could find for just the UCA's. Added bonus, I can now sell just the Readylift 2" spacers to make a little cash.

IMG_6908.jpg

Install began. This is my first time doing a suspension install not in a shop and on a rack. With the Big Red SUV jackstands I bought and the Daytona crossbeam adapter for my 3-ton Daytona jack, it wasn't too bad and I felt comfortable doing what I needed to do.

IMG_7044.jpg

I started with the fronts and it only took ~20mins to remove the first shock. As I mentioned before, I wanted a quick install and with the misinformation from Eibach, that wasn't happening. I removed the first shock and used cheapie coil spring compressors to do the job.

Stock shock left, Eibach right

IMG_7049.jpg

Note the paint pen cross on the stock shock. This needs to line up with the tallest part of the triangle on the upper strut mount and centered with the opening for the lower shock mount.

IMG_7063.HEIC.jpg

I used my trusty 40-year-old Blue Point rubber mallet to hammer off the lower strut mount and the metal cap on the stock shock. This process was way easier than I thought, but that's probably because the shocks are pretty much new.

IMG_7064.HEIC.jpg

I seated the aluminum collar into the lower strut mount and installed it with the adjustable C-clip in position #2, which Eibach claims is for a 2.6" front lift.

IMG_7050.jpg

Here's a pic of the cheapie spring compressors. They were sketchy at best and I felt pretty uncomfortable using them with the Eibach springs. They seemed fine with the stock springs though. Note, I installed all of the stock coil wraps, bump stop, and left the stock dust boot on the upper isolators.

IMG_7055.HEIC.jpg

Ignore my dirty fingerprints, lol

IMG_7056.HEIC.jpg

I installed the new struts on the front and installed the Readylift UCA's. The UCA's were incredibly easy to install.

IMG_7059.HEIC.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Next up was the rear. If you haven't messed with the rear yet, the rear link system for the differential limits the downward travel until you loosen links. I didn't want to do that, so I used the sketchy coil compressors for the Eibach rear springs to install them. At this point, I was getting tired of the install and just wanted to sit back and have a beer.

The upper coil isolators were a full pita and kept falling when I was trying to install the shock. I ended up using some tape on top of the nipples on the upper coil isolators to keep them in the oversized holes they need to line up with.

IMG_7072.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7073.HEIC.jpg

Here are the rear shocks installed. They were surprisingly easy. I just peeled back the fender liner a little to access the top shock mounts.

IMG_7074.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7076.HEIC.jpg

Just for fun, here's a comparison of three springs. The top is a Maxtrac 2" lowering spring, the middle is the stock spring, and the bottom is the Eibach 1" lifted spring.

IMG_7071.HEIC.jpg

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the results! It's a full 3" lift in the front and a 1" lift in the rear. I wasn't expecting that since the one consistency with this kit was that no one gave me a solid answer on the actual lift. It doesn't really look like it, but the rear is 1/8" higher on the driver's rear than the front, and the passenger rear is 1/4" higher than the front. These measurements are with a full tank of gas and nothing in the bed.

These pics also show my new tint. I got IR tint with 70% on the front windshield, 20% on the driver and passenger front windows, and left the rear windows with the stock tint.

Driving Impressions:
The more I drive it, the more impressed I am at the spring rate and shock valving. This truck rode a little rough with my LT tires and stock front suspension/ 2" rear lowering springs. It was harsh enough that I didn't like it. After the Eibach install, all that small bump harshness is now gone. All the random waywardness and scary high-speed shifting when hitting hard bumps is gone also. The suspension is very well mannered for on-road. This truck will never see off-road, so I can't speak on the off-road capabilities.

Overall, would I recommend this kit? Absolutely, with one caveat: know that unless you are willing to buy spare stock shocks to take apart, you have to take apart the stock shocks to get the lower strut mount. I still think it's worth it though at the reasonable price point.

IMG_7080.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7084.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7081.HEIC.jpg IMG_7083.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7082.HEIC.jpg
IMG_7087.HEIC.jpg

It's so close to my garage door that it rubs the weatherstrip.

IMG_7077.HEIC.jpg

Last edited:

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Truck looks great! Those spring compressors look shady as @#%$....unless its a trick of the photo, those bastards were bending!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Truck looks great! Those spring compressors look shady as @#%$....unless its a trick of the photo, those bastards were bending!
Yeah, I felt extremely uncomfortable and I was being very careful with torquing them down evenly. Luckily, a didn't bend them enough to compromise the sheer limit. I probably would've soiled myself if one broke.

@Whoa_Ram The Eibachs passed the wife test. She just rode in it for a half hour and said “I don’t feel any difference from before.” That’s pretty good for 10-ply tires and a lift kit.

Last edited:

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hell yeah man congrats on the new suspension man. Sucks that I will need to take apart my factory struts to get the bottom cups though. Might have to think about how to get some without having to do that.
Odd I didn’t get the notification but thanks for the message man. I’ll be grabbing a set after Christmas.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hell yeah man congrats on the new suspension man. Sucks that I will need to take apart my factory struts to get the bottom cups though. Might have to think about how to get some without having to do that.
Odd I didn’t get the notification but thanks for the message man. I’ll be grabbing a set after Christmas.
On Mopar’s official website, shocks are $113 each. Even rock auto has them between $107 and $124. Either way I see it, if I want to sell this set as a loaded strut when I trade the truck in, I have to buy new shocks. Otherwise, I’m tearing the struts apart again and I really don’t want to do that.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First I’ve seen your thread …. Truck looks great !!! …. So 3”F 1”R on 275/65R20’s ? …. My garage door is my fear …. Do you have an accurate measurement to the weatherstrip ? Mine is 83” …. Thanks …. I guess with this kit, doesn’t matter if you had ORG or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First I’ve seen your thread …. Truck looks great !!! …. So 3”F 1”R on 275/65R20’s ? …. My garage door is my fear …. Do you have an accurate measurement to the weatherstrip ? Mine is 83” …. Thanks …. I guess with this kit, doesn’t matter if you had ORG or not

I can get that tomorrow for you. The tires are 285/50/22. I don’t have ORG, but you’re right, it doesn’t matter in my case.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get that tomorrow for you. The tires are 285/50/22. I don’t have ORG, but you’re right, it doesn’t matter in my case.

Thanks …. I’m in OH, and I gotta be able to get in the garage for Winter …. The puck on my 2012 was way more garage friendly than these shark fins

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks …. I’m in OH, and I gotta be able to get in the garage for Winter …. The puck on my 2012 was way more garage friendly than these shark fins

My wife grew up in Cleveland. I like Ohio a lot, but we’re stuck in Maryland at least until we both retire. I wouldn’t mind working for Rogue Fitness though…

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife grew up in Cleveland. I like Ohio a lot, but we’re stuck in Maryland at least until we both retire. I wouldn’t mind working for Rogue Fitness though…

Grew up just outside of Cleveland …. Now I see the Football Hall of Fame every day in Canton

Pos90

Reaction score
djevox, while you have a tape measure out checking your garage door height can you also check your center of hub to fender?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
djevox, while you have a tape measure out checking your garage door height can you also check your center of hub to fender?
You want front and back?

Pos90

Reaction score
Finally finished up with my suspension. I got the same Eibach pro truck lift. Installed the fronts at the 2nd clip and did the rear installation. At that point I wasn't overly happy with it as the front sat slightly higher than the rear so I picked up a set of Icons 1.5" lift rear coils. And now I'm happy with the look and it rides excellent. In the end it's 1.75" all the way around higher than what I had 20211126_161134.jpg leveled with a Readylift 2" spacer. And I'm running 275/65-20 Nitto G2's. 20211126_161259.jpg

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Front mainly, but you can do the back too.
Sorry, I forgot to do the measurements before I went on vacation. Your truck looks great!

Nelo718

Reaction score
Finally finished up with my suspension. I got the same Eibach pro truck lift. Installed the fronts at the 2nd clip and did the rear installation. At that point I wasn't overly happy with it as the front sat slightly higher than the rear so I picked up a set of Icons 1.5" lift rear coils. And now I'm happy with the look and it rides excellent. In the end it's 1.75" all the way around higher than what I had View attachment 112257 leveled with a Readylift 2" spacer. And I'm running 275/65-20 Nitto G2's. View attachment 112256
Second clip from the bottom or top?

Users who are viewing this thread