5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge pulsar

Justin21771

Reaction score
This was actually my second quick modification I did... Pulsar Edge and the Pedal Commander. Really can feel the difference, and its pretty simply to take off if I need to take it in for warranty work - 4 screws out, remove the Pulsar and replace Factor screws w/ground wire. Can speak to the HP gain, but its VERY nice difference. Used it in towing as well - its a keeper for me.
Which sidesteps are those and which light strip did you use for the rear?
Great looking truck!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read on another forum based on the 2018's and older a few people ran into issues with surging while using the pulsars so I decided to wait a little longer to let them clear up there programming before being a guinea pig lol but the concept seems pretty cool, I had a Diablosport on my 2012 and it worked great but always had issues at the dealer with them blaming it for any of the multiple electrical flaws in that truck.

Keep us posted if anyone jumps on one of these...
There won't be any clearing up of the surging. These folks are expecting the Pulsar to defeat the MDS engagement. It doesn't and it can't. It pulses the throttle to kick MDS back off AFTER it engages. That's the surge. Don't run tune 2, 4, 6, or 8. Use 1, 3, 5, and 7 if the surge bothers you. The ONLY method for truly turning MDS off is to engage gear limiting to 8th gear.

Otherwise, the Pulsar is a great tuner. I've done tons of reading on it and helped my friend install it on his truck. I'd do the same but I am not keeping the truck and want no fusses with warranty issues...although the Pulsar is supposed to be undetectable.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
There won't be any clearing up of the surging. These folks are expecting the Pulsar to defeat the MDS engagement. It doesn't and it can't. It pulses the throttle to kick MDS back off AFTER it engages. That's the surge. Don't run tune 2, 4, 6, or 8. Use 1, 3, 5, and 7 if the surge bothers you. The ONLY method for truly turning MDS off is to engage gear limiting to 8th gear.

Otherwise, the Pulsar is a great tuner. I've done tons of reading on it and helped my friend install it on his truck. I'd do the same but I am not keeping the truck and want no fusses with warranty issues...although the Pulsar is supposed to be undetectable.
Is it also possible to turn MDS off, essentially, by driving with the Rams Tow mode on?

When I turn that on, eco never comes on, and the throttle response is much better. There are no burbling exhaust sounds, and sounds like a running Hemi, geared and ready.

I mean, from what I have been reading, i feel like I almost get the benefots of this pulsar whenever i simply flick on the Tow mode in the console.

What do you think?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it also possible to turn MDS off, essentially, by driving with the Rams Tow mode on?

When I turn that on, eco never comes on, and the throttle response is much better. There are no burbling exhaust sounds, and sounds like a running Hemi, geared and ready.

I mean, from what I have been reading, i feel like I almost get the benefots of this pulsar whenever i simply flick on the Tow mode in the console.

What do you think?
I haven't used Tow mode while paying attention to ECO/MDS. You may be on to something there. I have noticed the shift points and engine braking are noticeable different in Tow mode. It's definitely more agressive. MDS doesn't bother me and I welcome the fuel savings from lower shift points when I'm not in a hurry.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I haven't used Tow mode while paying attention to ECO/MDS. You may be on to something there. I have noticed the shift points and engine braking are noticeable different in Tow mode. It's definitely more agressive. MDS doesn't bother me and I welcome the fuel savings from lower shift points when I'm not in a hurry.
Mds doesnt bother me much either. But i was exoerimenting fir a few days and figuring things out, including MDS effects of the TOW mode.

I just realized that if only 4 cylinders were running, and making the exhaust sound like its gurgling air blobs at times...then in order for me to hear my Hemi i need to turn Tow on.

Then, while it was on, the engine braking effects were clear and the gearing seemed tighter.

The Tow mode it seemed was no different than my sport mode in the Grand Cherokee. Held revs higher for better throttle response, like engine braking....and the sport mode also tuened off the jeeps ECO button, which is the MDS.

The tow mode to me is the sport mode.

So if I already have that, im seeing less of a benefit of the pulsar. If i get bigger tires, maybe I could use it.

19BlkRam

Reaction score
So I took the plunge and purchased a Pulsar unit, very easy install and once I figured out to use the audio function I was able to see what mode I was in.

Stock disable MDS is all I wanted as I hate the shuffle the engine does at times.

I find myself actually using the Economy mode a lot especially in traffic as it keeps my throttle light which saves me a little fuel which is good.

The performance modes are Great, Butt dyno approved lol I think the biggest difference is throttle sensitivity watch your speeds cause you get up there Quick!

Haven't had more time to mess with other modes or customizations as work and homelife has me going crazy, So far I am enjoying it but have to remove it soon as I am dropping off for service work and don't want them to give me any excuses once I am there.

Tstevenson325

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed they say to run minimum 91 Octane. Is that what you are doing?
So I tested the pulsar in my truck for Powerteq so I was in conversations with the engineers there. The recommended 91 octane is for the added timing in performance mode. It’s not much but just enough where the added octane will help.

lrobbi

Reaction score

Zebber

Reaction score
I just installed the Pulsar on my 2019 Rebel and I'll say what a difference! It's like driving a different truck. Maybe it's the throttle response improvement but it sure feels a lot stronger than before. I do wish they included the USB to OBDII cable though for updates in the future,, it should be included at the price the Pulsar costs.

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys pulling this off prior to dealer visits? I’m assuming yes but figured I’d ask.

Drewdidit

Reaction score
Mine will be in Monday. I got it for performance as well as tire size change. Truck is also being lifted 6" on Monday.

Zebber

Reaction score
Not been in for dealer visit yet but will remove before going in,, just to be safe. You never know how a dealer will react to an add-on like this. Only took 5 minutes to install , same time to remove.

Zebber

Reaction score
Mine will be in Monday. I got it for performance as well as tire size change. Truck is also being lifted 6" on Monday.
Be aware that the Pulsar will ask for the tire diameter in inches, if you use the English setting so you will need to know your tire diameter to enter with the gas pedal. If you use the Metric setting you can input 275/70/18 ,,etc.

Last edited:

Omarf4

Reaction score
Have had the pulsar tuner for a couple of month now (1500 miles)...cats meow if you have larger tires and 3.21 gears. Running in performance with mds off (setting 8) as anything else is just not worth it. That hemi comes to life with that setting and even idling, you can hear the growl of the v8....a whole new truck!
Just a note, the tire diameter can be changed in tire sizes (275/65R20) along with read axle ratio...
Install and removal takes a few minutes and easily accessible on the ‘19’s without fuss....

Big fan of this mod....really makes driving the truck feel sporty!

Drewdidit

Reaction score
Be aware that the Pulsar will ask for the tire diameter in inches, if you use the English setting so you will need to know your tire diameter to enter with the gas pedal. If you use the Metric setting you can input 275/70/18 ,,etc.
Definitely good to know. Thanks

SColang22

Reaction score
I've had mine installed now for 4,000 miles. I love it. I wish they had a 93 octane tune for it like the trinity does. There are some videos on youtube with people on the dyno showing the 30/30 is as advertised. I do recommend adding a CAI and exhaust to get the most out of it.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had mine installed now for 4,000 miles. I love it. I wish they had a 93 octane tune for it like the trinity does. There are some videos on youtube with people on the dyno showing the 30/30 is as advertised. I do recommend adding a CAI and exhaust to get the most out of it.
Settings 7 and 8 (Performance mode) are 91+ Octane only. Says so in the documentation. Supposedly custom tuning is coming soon.

myram2019

Reaction score
Did anyone experience radio and other functions not working temporarily right after install???

Users who are viewing this thread