5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel or Hemi?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I drove the diesel and didn't like the turbo lag, which seemed excessive. I am coming from a F150 with the larger EcoBoost engine and I don't think I'd be happy with the diesel. I bought the Hemi and have been smiling ever since!
The lag is fixable with a pedal commander. They nerfed the throttle response to cut back on soot accumulation in the DPF.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ. The EcoDiesel only calls for an oil change every 15,000 mi. With the savings in fuel mileage, it comes out even with, if not ahead of, the hemi. BTW, I have owned both, and currently work for FCA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You work for FCA, and you're giving advice to folks on a public forum that will void the warranty on their brand new engines? Hmm...

The manual specifically states that under no conditions should an owner ever pass 10,000 miles between oil changes on the diesel, which infers that oil changes would be more appropriate at 7,500 miles on this engine.

We've seen at least one thread where a guy had an EcoDiesel failure and FCA found that he went a little over 10,000 during one of his oil change cycles which resulted in them denying his warranty claim.

I'm going to do my first change at 5,000 and then probably 7,500 after that. Diesel engines are not cheap.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you wait 15,000 or even 10,000 miles to change the oil on a diesel, don't plan on it lasting very long. diesel is an oil and dilutes the oil and the strict emissions shoves soot in via the egr. by 5,000 miles you probably want to change if you could see the health of the oil. I'll be sending mine to a lab to get a definitive answer on the EcoD 3.0.

Ah....Horse puckies to that one!
Mine was a Ram 3500 6.7 CTD. Mine still showed 42% oil life left on the EVIC almost every time I got it changed. I was comfortable with that.
Doesn‘t matter anyway. Traded it in. My dealer was happy with it. They know that truck since new 5 years ago and how I looked after it.

Users who are viewing this thread