5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel or Hemi?

Deezl

Reaction score
Yeah... Shopping around pays dividends. FCA cannot void your warranty, if the parts that you are using meet or exceed OEM requirements.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

airclnr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I drove the diesel and didn't like the turbo lag, which seemed excessive. I am coming from a F150 with the larger EcoBoost engine and I don't think I'd be happy with the diesel. I bought the Hemi and have been smiling ever since!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck. The EcoDiesel does have lag, and it takes a while to get used to it. But the 22 MPG on 35" mud tires makes me smile. And being able to stay in 8th gear while towing does too. The Hemi and EcoD are totally different animals. I look at it like tennis shoes vs. work boots.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I drove the diesel and didn't like the turbo lag, which seemed excessive. I am coming from a F150 with the larger EcoBoost engine and I don't think I'd be happy with the diesel. I bought the Hemi and have been smiling ever since!

Congrats on the truck! The turbo lag is definitely noticeable as that's exactly what I felt when I test drove both. The GM 3.0 Duramax doesn't have the turbo lag so perhaps it's something FCA can fix in the future although this is the 3rd Gen ED.

myles

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a new 1500 Limited and can’t decided between the Hemi or EcoDiesel. I do a lot of highway driving and pull our cargo trailer (4-5k pounds) about 10% of the time. Is the diesel the better choice? The diesel is actually less than the Hemi with current incentives. Let me know your thoughts.
Got 14.5k miles on my ecodiesel it’s almost 6 months old

The mileage is nice but getting 29+ mpg requires patience because you can’t really go faster than 65. I guess you could say I drive rougher. I average 22 mpg and that’s going 75-85 on the highway usually. But if you hang out in the slow lane you’ll definelty be seeing 29+mpg

it’s not a “quick” as a hemi, but I didn’t buy this truck to race around.. it’s still fast and it pulls hard but it has low end torque, not high speed.

towing is sooooo much better than with gas, I have 9500#ish trailer and I would be revving my 2015 gas truck to 4000+ rpms just to get up a hill. Now with the diesel it just chugs along. The low end torque is awesome

main reason I got this truck was for the range because I do so much driving. Being able to go 700-800 miles on a tank of gas with the 33 gallon tank is very convenient.
So basically I don’t recommend getting the truck to save money, fuel is more expensive, filters are more expensive, oil is more expensive. Overall diesel is more expensive to maintain... but if you looking for like a “light duty Cummins” I think this fits the bill perfectly.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got 14.5k miles on my ecodiesel it’s almost 6 months old

The mileage is nice but getting 29+ mpg requires patience because you can’t really go faster than 65. I guess you could say I drive rougher. I average 22 mpg and that’s going 75-85 on the highway usually. But if you hang out in the slow lane you’ll definelty be seeing 29+mpg

it’s not a “quick” as a hemi, but I didn’t buy this truck to race around.. it’s still fast and it pulls hard but it has low end torque, not high speed.

towing is sooooo much better than with gas, I have 9500#ish trailer and I would be revving my 2015 gas truck to 4000+ rpms just to get up a hill. Now with the diesel it just chugs along. The low end torque is awesome

main reason I got this truck was for the range because I do so much driving. Being able to go 700-800 miles on a tank of gas with the 33 gallon tank is very convenient.
So basically I don’t recommend getting the truck to save money, fuel is more expensive, filters are more expensive, oil is more expensive. Overall diesel is more expensive to maintain... but if you looking for like a “light duty Cummins” I think this fits the bill perfectly.
Well said (the last paragraph).

Last edited by a moderator:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Will it pull hills in 8th with the 9k trailer?!

Probably not. That's approaching absolute max capacity for the 1500. But with 4-5k on the tail like the OP was asking about, yeah it will. I can put my son's ATV in the bed, then hook up my enclosed trailer and load it down with gear and my UTV and cruise the interstate in 8th gear @ 70 MPH. It won't downshift to 7th unless I hit a pretty long hill. VERY nice. The gas engines will downshift to 4th or 5th and scream up those same hills.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My old Hemi limited couldn't even go up a hill in 8tj when empty and it had 3.92. I just traded it in on the EcoDiesel and love it so far.

jermball623

Reaction score
I was just wondering. If it did that I'm sure EGT's would soar if it stayed in 8th lol

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sold my 2015 3500 CTD (diesel) and bought the 2019 1500 Limited.
The diesel got better fuel mileage, but more costly for maintenance. Fuel filters, oil changes, etc. Didn’t need to tow anymore so traded it in.
Not the same comparison to Eco Diesel but just wanted to point out the extra maintenance. I changed my oil every 10,000 mi even though the book said every 15,000.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just sold my 2015 3500 CTD (diesel) and bought the 2019 1500 Limited.
The diesel got better fuel mileage, but more costly for maintenance. Fuel filters, oil changes, etc. Didn’t need to tow anymore so traded it in.
Not the same comparison to Eco Diesel but just wanted to point out the extra maintenance. I changed my oil every 10,000 kms even though the book said every 15,000.
Might be helpful if you compared the annual maintenance costs that you experienced (mostly regular maintenance like oil, filters, fuel filters) between the 2. Most of us don’t quite know what true diesel costs run.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Might be helpful if you compared the annual maintenance costs that you experienced (mostly regular maintenance like oil, filters, fuel filters) between the 2. Most of us don’t quite know what true diesel costs run.

I'd be interested in knowing that as well especially for the guys with the ED. From looking at the maintenance manuals for the HEMI vs. the ED, I came out with about $15/mo more for ED over HEMI (oil, fuel filter, DEF) but would love to know actuals vs. calcs.

Deezl

Reaction score
I was just wondering. If it did that I'm sure EGT's would soar if it stayed in 8th lol
My 2015 ED EGT held 1500° ALL the way up Loveland Pass while pulling my 6,000# Travel Trailer.
a42d3e49fbbf13dc0259b4cfeb81f1f8.jpg

Maconi

Reaction score
If you want a half-ton diesel go with GMC or Chevy. I'd take the 5.7 Hemi over any of them though.

jermball623

Reaction score
That would've had me worried in my old truck. Downshift that baby next time and they'll be lower.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing that as well especially for the guys with the ED. From looking at the maintenance manuals for the HEMI vs. the ED, I came out with about $15/mo more for ED over HEMI (oil, fuel filter, DEF) but would love to know actuals vs. calcs.

I haven't owned a Hemi, but I assume it's the same cost for oil and filters as the Pentastar. I can tell you that the absolute minimum, as cheap as you can possibly go, and still be using Mopar filters and MS-12991 oil on the EcoDiesel is $100 per change. This is also doing it at home in your driveway to avoid labor. On the Pentastar, Mopar filter and proper spec oil is $20. Again, doing it at home. That's a difference of $80 per oil change. Keep in mind that every 2nd oil change on the EcoDiesel also requires a $40 fuel filter that the Pentastar/Hemi don't need. So I guess you could say $100 more per service interval on the EcoDiesel.

If you want a half-ton diesel go with GMC or Chevy. I'd take the 5.7 Hemi over any of them though.

The 3.0L Duramax is brand new, has already had several issues, and requires transmission removal at 150k for oil pump belt replacement.

I learned years ago to never touch a GM product with a ten foot pole. They must let the 22 year old interns fresh out of school do all their engineering. They haven't built a decent truck since before the GMT400 platform debuted in 1988.

Maconi

Reaction score
The 3.0L Duramax is brand new, has already had several issues, and requires transmission removal at 150k for oil pump belt replacement.

I learned years ago to never touch a GM product with a ten foot pole. They must let the 22 year old interns fresh out of school do all their engineering. They haven't built a decent truck since before the GMT400 platform debuted in 1988.

Yeah it's "better" on paper, but reality usually isn't so great as you said. (y)

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ. The EcoDiesel only calls for an oil change every 15,000 mi. With the savings in fuel mileage, it comes out even with, if not ahead of, the hemi. BTW, I have owned both, and currently work for FCA.

if you wait 15,000 or even 10,000 miles to change the oil on a diesel, don't plan on it lasting very long. diesel is an oil and dilutes the oil and the strict emissions shoves soot in via the egr. by 5,000 miles you probably want to change if you could see the health of the oil. I'll be sending mine to a lab to get a definitive answer on the EcoD 3.0.

Users who are viewing this thread