5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel or Hemi?

airclnr

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on a new 1500 Limited and can’t decided between the Hemi or EcoDiesel. I do a lot of highway driving and pull our cargo trailer (4-5k pounds) about 10% of the time. Is the diesel the better choice? The diesel is actually less than the Hemi with current incentives. Let me know your thoughts.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with either of them. But for me the diesel made more sense , very happy with my choice. There are pros and cons to each of them but ultimately it's your money .

airclnr

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Have you had any issues with the diesel? Also, what mpg do you see on the highway?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Currently getting 25.5 average mpg and that's about 50/50 city-hwy. As far as issues , I have a recall that needs to be done on a ground bolt. I've been waiting for the dealer to contact me when the "part " arrives . Other than that been extremely pleased with the diesel .

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Search the forum, and go to the other ram forums about the diesel, just make sure you are reading about the new 3.0 version. A lot of complaints about the older version that came out in 14’. As far as towing with the hemi, it will do what you want easily, just gets 8-10 doing it.

Non-towing highway mileage will depend on gearing and speed, the best I’ve seen regularly reported is 21-22 at maybe 70mph on flatter terrain with 3.21’s, no lift and no aggressive tires. 3.92’s seem to average 17-18 highway, give or take again without lifts or changes in tires.
Lots of mpg threads with some real unhappy owners and some claiming near Prius mileage, lol. Here’s my average highway mpg bone stock (see image).

In short, you’ll want to compare expected maintenance costs (more expensive oil changes and fuel filters) and more expensive fuel (some parts of the country are .70-1.00 more per gallon) against the return when you sell (a plus for diesel) and better highway and towing mileage.

If you like performance then you might be disappointed with the diesel. If you want mpg’s then diesel is better. You don’t tow heavy enough to strain a hemi.
That’s a tough call.

Attachments

• B1AD86DE-27BB-4FFC-A8C1-D4593127B53B.jpeg
    B1AD86DE-27BB-4FFC-A8C1-D4593127B53B.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 106

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Having owned both the ecodiesel and hemi engines, I prefer the hemi. I enjoyed the 25 mpg I was seeing with the oil burner, but I really missed the hemi power and sound. It was an easy choice for me to go with the hemi on my latest truck.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited and am trading it in tomorrow on a 2020 EcoDiesel. The mileage is just dissapointing and I find the Hemi lacks low end torque. It feels lazy around town and needs to be wound out. I do a ton of highway driving as well.

Yes the Hemi is faster, but it's a truck, it's not fast. Personally I'd go with the diesel for yourself. The hemis (especially in limited trim) don't get anywhere near their posted mileage. The diesel seems to be very close to its stated mileage.

jermball623

Reaction score
I've got a level and 33's with 3.92s and averaged 16 mpg on a 700 mile trip with my hemi the other day averaging around 72 mph. Not complaining because if I slowed down it would be better but I'm not too worried about the mileage. Still gets better than my wife's 6.2 chevy.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've got a level and 33's with 3.92s and averaged 16 mpg on a 700 mile trip with my hemi the other day averaging around 72 mph. Not complaining because if I slowed down it would be better but I'm not too worried about the mileage. Still gets better than my wife's 6.2 chevy.
Some real world numbers there.

Deezl

Reaction score
Do you care about gas mileage? Then get the EcoDiesel. Do you want to go fast? Then get the hemi. It's as simple as that. Either will to w that small of a trailer easily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deezl

Reaction score
Do you care about gas mileage? Then get the EcoDiesel. Do you want to go fast? Then get the hemi. It's as simple as that. Either will to w that small of a trailer easily. I own a 2019 Limited with the 5.7 hemi, and the 3.92 gears. I smoke a lot of cars on the road, because the change to the rebel wheels and tires gives me a hell of a low rear end ratio. I get about 15.5 miles per gallon, but don't care.

Kidder

Reaction score
Do you care about gas mileage? Then get the EcoDiesel. Do you want to go fast? Then get the hemi. It's as simple as that. Either will to w that small of a trailer easily.

Ecodiesel is more expensive to maintain with its ridiculously expensive oil filters, oil, and then there is the fuel filter(s) and DEF.

Deezl

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The EcoDiesel only calls for an oil change every 15,000 mi. With the savings in fuel mileage, it comes out even with, if not ahead of, the hemi. BTW, I have owned both, and currently work for FCA.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ecodiesel is more expensive to maintain with its ridiculously expensive oil filters, oil, and then there is the fuel filter(s) and DEF.
If he's getting a better deal on the diesel and with the fuel savings it will more than pay for itself.

Deezl

Reaction score
If he's getting a better deal on the diesel and with the fuel savings it will more than pay for itself.
Spot on. Just drive both, and get whichever you like best. You really can't go wrong with either.

Deezl

Reaction score
Oil, fuel, and air filters.
6ce8a0af542e244fdf7d08df3ccf1a12.jpg
cbff37e66b9bd8874ff15a623e1a1355.jpg
76f20793c54878ea9fe69efe791d89a3.jpg

Kidder

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread