5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel Mileage Report

Funeman

Reaction score
How accurate is the range gauge? Has anyone determined how much fuel is left when it says 0? I never let my tank get that low, just curious.

gorilla57

Reaction score
How accurate is the range gauge? Has anyone determined how much fuel is left when it says 0? I never let my tank get that low, just curious.
Well, when towing the boat back from Cali, we watched the range like a hawk. It's pretty accurate on my truck as we were getting 15mpg and said we had 45 miles left when we filled it up. Put 29gal in a 33gal tank. I'd say that is pretty close.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran mine down to 0 and when I filled it I could only get a little over 31 gallons in it. I have the 33 gallon tank, so I'd guess there's still at least a gallon or more left.

I drove my 2010 tdi over 100 miles with a range of 0, expecting it to die any minute. never did and I finally found a working diesel pump.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Towing my travel trailer on the interstate was down right scary. The ED had plenty of power to pull the trailer, the problem is the half ton frame and suspension. Even though I am under the weight rating still no bueno. The WDH was set up as good as it would get , no trailer sway , but you can definitely feel how light the truck was almost a floating feeling . The Rebel was a great truck ...except for the heavier towing , my new Ram 2500 is a vast improvement and safer towing rig.
“I do know that I'm probably looking at going up to the 3500 diesel when I'm able. Maybe next summer. The 3500 series trucks have enough curb weight to feel more stable and comfortable while towing something like this. It'll be a more relaxed experience.”

Definitely true. If you tow this size/weight often, a 2500/3500 makes more sense. My brother just came back from a 2200 mile 4 day trip towing an 8x24’ enclosed cargo trailer with his 20’ 3500 Cummins. He reported 15 mpg average (from Denver to Little Rock AR and back) with no issues at all on road feel, trailer sway or power.

I didn‘t get a loaded weight from him but he was hauling a full load of household goods so a mix of furniture, dishware, books etc.
The 1500 ecod could have done it, just not “comfortably“. That’s the deciding point, how “comfortable“ do you want the trip to be, ie. a truck near its max vs one well within its margins...

I’m not getting into the whole safety argument, just the enjoyment or comfort of the tow experience. Either way, it’s good to get actual reports of the ecod’s actual performance.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did go very close to zero at one time and I was pulling a trailer, not a good feeling, that was last summer and I don’t remember exactly how much fuel was added on the fill-up, but it was very close to to the size of the tank, my tank is 98 litres.
On my Jeep, I went past the low fuel by a good margin, there was no gas station available, again not a good feeling, when I finally filled up I put 63 litres and the tank is listed at 60 litres. So it makes me wonder if my Rebel would actually take more than 98 litres.
It would be good to know if the tank has a bit of reserve like my Jeep has.

Rossum

Reaction score
I know none of you guys actually ran out of fuel, and that's a good thing. Please consider what's likely to happen at the high-pressure pump (that's trying to make 25,000 PSI of fuel pressure!) if you let it run it dry. That's not a pretty picture for the pump, or any of the injection components down-stream of it.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually what is being reported by NC Rebel is very akin to what the f150 forum I was on for years was reporting about the trailer towing experiences of the 2014 non-aluminum bed vs the 2015 aluminum (which dropped nearly 700 lbs) owners.

The 2015 owners reported an increase in “skittishness” and a non-planted feel when towing or going over rough roads as compared to their traded-up from earlier years trucks. Taking out that weight from the bed did negatively affect handling, I remember a few posts/comments about it on the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread