5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel Mileage Report

Funeman

Reaction score
1500 miles in and I’m averaging around 20-21 combined. Maybe 25% highway. Looking forward to a couple 500-600 mile trips this month to see what she can do with more highway time. Would love to get even close to what some of you are reporting.

stronbl

Reaction score
For what it's worth ... we just completed a road trip from SF Bay Area to Scottsdale, AZ in our 2020 ecodiesel Limited with 3.92 gears. Overall average for the trip was 24.5 mpg. (about 750 miles each way). So I'm in the range most people are posting too. I did a little comparison during the trip - normally I just drive in 4WD auto. But I was curious to see if 2WD made any noticeable improvement in mpg. I did a couple 300 mile segments with each drive configuration and found the 2WD gave me only about 1 mpg improvement. Highway speed was mostly 80 mph but I'd say a reasonable range was 75-85 mph. Dropping to 70 mph would give me a 2-4 mpg boost I think.

Also I topped off the DEF tank before we left and now that we're back the gauge reads just a little over 1/2 full. I'm guessing I used a little over 2 gal for 1500 miles, which seems to be on the high side compared to my other diesel vehicle's DEF consumption rate. We have a total of 3,900 miles on the 2020 truck so maybe we're still in a break in period.

Last edited:

taumaz

Reaction score
My 2020 rebel averages 9L/100km in its first 3600km - 90% hwy. Very happy with the fuel economy. That is about 26mpg.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
130 mile trip, cruise set 68-70 MPH, HVAC off most of the time, windows up, temp outside 65, no wind. Hand calculated: 23 MPG.

Coming back home same 130 miles a few hours later pulling an empty 8.5x24' enclosed trailer: 8.5 MPG.

This diesel is very predictable. It doesn't get anywhere close to window sticker and when towing it loses around 60% of its effiiciency. Very par for the course with a diesel.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
130 mile trip, cruise set 68-70 MPH, HVAC off most of the time, windows up, temp outside 65, no wind. Hand calculated: 23 MPG.

Coming back home same 130 miles a few hours later pulling an empty 8.5x24' enclosed trailer: 8.5 MPG.

This diesel is very predictable. It doesn't get anywhere close to window sticker and when towing it loses around 60% of its effiiciency. Very par for the course with a diesel.
Mine does better than the window sticker. Must be your beefy tires killing the mpg. Even with the cold weather in Canada I'm seeing 26mpg average. About 28-30 on the highway.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think us Canadians tend to see a bit better mileage due to the slower speed limits. Our highways are only 50-60mph, with most driving 65ish. My mileage drops above 110km/h noticeably.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get my best speed/mpg at 62 mph ~ 100 kmh. with 3.92 I can hit low 40's there. it'll do better at 54-58 and 34-39 mph due to gearing. but an extra 5-7 mpg isn't worth the extra hour.

tom318

Reaction score
Mine seems to be doing very well but a lot of my commute is cruising at 45-55. I average ~27.5mpg per tank on my commutes (not highway but minimal lights).
Trip #1 - Unloaded 500mile trip with only me in the vehicle the digital readout was 30.3mpg (never did a hand calc).
Trip #2 - Just did the same trip with ~600lbs in the bed and 300 in cab including me, 24.3mpg hand calculated and 25.4 on the digital. Cruise at 70mph. (a lot of this drive was in rain)
Trip #3 - 850mile trip to the UP towing an Aluma 8818 with 2 atvs and utility box (~2700lbs) and we averaged 19 per the digital read out.
Rolled 5k miles this morning after 7.5 weeks of ownership. First DEF fill last night. Loving it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's a huge trailer for wind resistance. Just watched the video. How did you find the Ecodiesel handled the load? Seemed to do pretty well. Nice trailer. Looking at a 7x19 for my snowmobiles.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a huge trailer for wind resistance. Just watched the video. How did you find the Ecodiesel handled the load? Seemed to do pretty well. Nice trailer. Looking at a 7x19 for my snowmobiles.

I even went as far as to jack the trailer up and verify that the brakes aren't dragging. They're fine. I guess the added 18" of width is enough to drink another 5 MPG from the truck on the highway. Crazy. Well, there is 1,400 lb. more weight also. But still, 8 MPG? Seriously? When I actually put a load on this trailer I'm in trouble. Guess I'll have to take the credit card when I go camping so I can hit every diesel station I see.

Honestly, the power is fine. It'll still stay in 6th and 7th gear almost all of the time if I lock out 8th. So the power is fine. The problem is the fuel economy is atrocious. That and the light weight of the 1500 series truck combined with the 5-link rear suspension makes for a sketchy feeling drive down the interstate. It never loses control but it always FEELS like its about to lose control if that makes any sense. It's not unsafe...it just feels like it's not happy. I didn't really notice that so much with the 7x14 trailer. Going to the 8.5x24 tipped the bucket.

I will say that in my experience these cargo trailers actually tow better when they're loaded though, so we'll see how it goes next time I'm out on a trip. I do know that I'm probably looking at going up to the 3500 diesel when I'm able. Maybe next summer. The 3500 series trucks have enough curb weight to feel more stable and comfortable while towing something like this. It'll be a more relaxed experience.

Arth

Reaction score
I even went as far as to jack the trailer up and verify that the brakes aren't dragging. They're fine. I guess the added 18" of width is enough to drink another 5 MPG from the truck on the highway. Crazy. Well, there is 1,400 lb. more weight also. But still, 8 MPG? Seriously? When I actually put a load on this trailer I'm in trouble. Guess I'll have to take the credit card when I go camping so I can hit every diesel station I see.

Honestly, the power is fine. It'll still stay in 6th and 7th gear almost all of the time if I lock out 8th. So the power is fine. The problem is the fuel economy is atrocious. That and the light weight of the 1500 series truck combined with the 5-link rear suspension makes for a sketchy feeling drive down the interstate. It never loses control but it always FEELS like its about to lose control if that makes any sense. It's not unsafe...it just feels like it's not happy. I didn't really notice that so much with the 7x14 trailer. Going to the 8.5x24 tipped the bucket.

I will say that in my experience these cargo trailers actually tow better when they're loaded though, so we'll see how it goes next time I'm out on a trip. I do know that I'm probably looking at going up to the 3500 diesel when I'm able. Maybe next summer. The 3500 series trucks have enough curb weight to feel more stable and comfortable while towing something like this. It'll be a more relaxed experience.

So I am with you on these trailers. I pulled a 7x16 many many times. When I moved I stepped over to a 8.5x20 enclosed. Unloaded the thing felt like it was all over the road. I have air suspension so I didn't feel unstable at all but the trailer just wanted to try and pull me around.

Loaded everything up for the move grossing about 8800 between truck and trailer and it was a much better experience. You defiantly feel the pull from the wind but as said power wasn't an issue.

MPG was just a little better than what you experienced. I've owned 2 2500's and I just can't stand the ride unloaded. Good luck to you with the 3500.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You may have to slow down a bit to try and squeeze some more MPG.

Also with that bigger trailer maybe a weight distributing/anti sway hitch would help.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Towing my travel trailer on the interstate was down right scary. The ED had plenty of power to pull the trailer, the problem is the half ton frame and suspension. Even though I am under the weight rating still no bueno. The WDH was set up as good as it would get , no trailer sway , but you can definitely feel how light the truck was almost a floating feeling . The Rebel was a great truck ...except for the heavier towing , my new Ram 2500 is a vast improvement and safer towing rig.

ammdrew

Reaction score

So while the cummins 3500 will pull like a 3500 for stability you will not get much better milage with the big kite behind you.. Add in you have done all the items to reduce milage.. level kit will hurt the arrow as do the larger tires, taller and wider.. Make sure your speedo is corrected to get accurate milage also. My 2020 is still getting 18-20 with the 19ft 3600 lb tandem axle bass boat behind it.. and my 2016 cummins aison got 12 with a 7 x12 enclosed utility on the freeway, 14-16 with a similar boat and 8-10 with the 30ft toyhauler.. empty could see 20-21 if we kept the speeds under 65.. at 80 she only would get 16-17... the 2020 eco gets a easy 24 on the road and in the city with winter fuel has been holding at 21.5

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towing my travel trailer on the interstate was down right scary. The ED had plenty of power to pull the trailer, the problem is the half ton frame and suspension. Even though I am under the weight rating still no bueno. The WDH was set up as good as it would get , no trailer sway , but you can definitely feel how light the truck was almost a floating feeling . The Rebel was a great truck ...except for the heavier towing , my new Ram 2500 is a vast improvement and safer towing rig.
Did you try adjusting your links to put more or less tongue weight on?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
Did you try adjusting your links to put more or less tongue weight on?
Yes, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting and measuring . The main goal was to keep the front end close to the same height or within a half inch or so compared to unloaded . I was able to accomplish that by adjusting the bars and the ball angle on the WDH while maintaining a decent tongue weight. The set up worked as it was designed.. no sway or proposing. The truck just felt light in general, like the trailer was too much for the truck. I have a 2500 now with the same WDH...night and day difference. The trailer does not feel like it is over loading the truck , pulls great no more white knuckling on the interstate.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cummins 2500 and ecodiesel 1500 with the same trims, there is only a 400lb increase in payload and 3,500lb difference in towing weight.

The big difference is the curb weight of the 2500 is 7,884 lbs vs 5564 lbs for the 1500.

An extra 1/3, an additional ton of weight is going to certainly make the truck feel heavier and less flighty.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cummins 2500 and ecodiesel 1500 with the same trims, there is only a 400lb increase in payload and 3,500lb difference in towing weight.

The big difference is the curb weight of the 2500 is 7,884 lbs vs 5564 lbs for the 1500.

An extra 1/3, an additional ton of weight is going to certainly make the truck feel heavier and less flighty.

Not in my case.

Payload on my truck is 1,645. The Cummins 3500 trucks are WAYYYY beyond that.

Towing on my truck is a tick past 10,000 lbs. A Cummins 2500 tows 17,000 and a Cummins 3500 is typically beyond 20k.

So while there is a massive difference in capability on paper, the thing I'm most interested in is the practical aspect of having a more stable platform to tow with that doesn't dance all over the highway like a stripper. It's funny because until I got this coil sprung rear end 1500, I had never seen complaints about towing. But there are a lot of guys who don't like the way the 1500 coil suspension feels while towing, and now I'm seeing the same thing. My prior full size trucks were all leaf sprung and no matter what I hooked to them, they were straight as an arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread