5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel mds or etorque?

Anthony76

Reaction score
That would be ideal. Mds on the ecodiesel and etorque. Why not?

Paco

Reaction score
Eco motor is to small to run on less than 6 cylinders. The trucks are 7000lbs. Diesel already has all its tq at 1700 ram,so nothing to gain like a Hemi. My 2 cents.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
MDS is god damn terrible on every manufacturer. Why would you even want it on an ecodiesel.
Also eTorque would be 100% pointless on a diesel, they use almost no fuel while idle, so start stop (the only feature of eTorque) is pointless.

Last edited:
U

User_119824

MDS is god damn terrible on every manufacturer. Why would you even want it on an ecodiesel.
Also eTorque would be 100% pointless on a diesel, they use almost no gas while idle, so start stop (the only feature of eTorque) is pointless.
"The only feature of eTorque". Yeah, no.

U

User_119824

Start-stop is the only feature of eTorque.
Unless you consider the need to replace a generator and battery pack vs replacing an alternator a "feature"
Ok so you just want to deny any and all benefits of innovation even when it is spelled out for you. Gotcha.

Out of that entire 10-minute, clear and concise explanation, the ONLY thing you took away was "stop/start bad, alternator good." Tells me all I need to know.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok so you just want to deny any and all benefits of innovation even when it is spelled out for you. Gotcha.

Out of that entire 10-minute, clear and concise explanation, the ONLY thing you took away was "stop/start bad, alternator good." Tells me all I need to know.
You obviously don't understand understand eTorque.

eTorque only does start-stop.
MDS is not part of eTorque if you are confusing that.

Tell me ANYHTING eTorque does.

I never said "alternator good" or "stop/start badd"

This thread was about eTorque on a diesel, there are no benefits.

U

User_119824

You obviously don't understand understand eTorque.

eTorque only does start-stop.
MDS is not part of eTorque if you are confusing that.

Tell me ANYHTING eTorque does.

I never said "alternator good" or "stop/start badd"

This thread was about eTorque on a diesel, there are no benefits.
Regenerative braking? Cooling system assist? Eliminating the need to use a starter for stop/start? 1/2 tire rotation start assist? Reduced wear on brakes/transmission clutches/etc? Did you even watch the video that explained ALL of this?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
He's obviously talking about the main noticeable thing about etorque. We've owned three 5th gens, two with etorque hemi's and one hemi without etorque. The only noticeable difference between them was the slightly noticeable regenerative braking and stop/start. From a driver's point of view I didn't notice any other differences. Of those two things I did notice, I hated the stop/start so I installed an autostop eliminator. Which made the regenerative braking moot since it never used the etorque motor to start the engine. All the other things mentioned in the video are for marketing purposes, and aren't noticeable to most drivers. The etorque system is more for Ram's benefit so they can claim slightly better CAFE numbers based on their laboratory testing. In real world use I never noticed a difference with or without stop/start enabled.

U

User_119824

Boy you guys really hate that system huh? It's just the end of days.

Most of what I've come across on this forum are people who are 100% against any innovation and a whole lot of bad information "it should be ok" advice. Think my short stint here is over.

Makes no sense why you guys buy these trucks if you hate everything about them. Jesus.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Relax, home slice. That's quite a leap to go from not liking one optional (at least at the time of purchase) system to saying we hate everything about these trucks. I can't speak for anyone else here, but for me, there's no vehicle in existence which makes me say "there's nothing about this vehicle I don't like". So some of us don't like etorque. No need to hate on us for it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Regenerative braking? Cooling system assist? Eliminating the need to use a starter for stop/start? 1/2 tire rotation start assist? Reduced wear on brakes/transmission clutches/etc? Did you even watch the video that explained ALL of this?
Regenerative breaking to charge a battery that ONLY POWERS START\STOP.
1/2 tire rotation start assist? Only after the truck was turned off via the start\stop feature and effectively does ZERO as as the "hybrid assist" can't even run on it's own.
Cooling system assist, wtf are you even talking about? When start\stop is engaged there is 0 cooling being done, AC gets turned off and air gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter because it changes to vent only.
Eliminating the need for a starter for start\stop? You still have a starter, you no longer have an alternator, and if your 48v battery pack goes your truck will not run on the 12v battery.

Did you even research the system?

This thread in particular was about the diesel which you clearly have 0 understanding on how they work.

There are no pros to be gained having eTorque on a diesel.
How much regenerative breaking losing mpg would it require to replace the .5-1 gallon of diesel it uses in an hour of being idle?

Boy you guys really hate that system huh? It's just the end of days.

Most of what I've come across on this forum are people who are 100% against any innovation and a whole lot of bad information "it should be ok" advice. Think my short stint here is over.

Makes no sense why you guys buy these trucks if you hate everything about them. Jesus.
Who says they hate everything about them? This thread was asking about a combination of features are do not currently exist or are offered.

U

User_119824

Regenerative breaking to charge a battery that ONLY POWERS START\STOP.
1/2 tire rotation start assist? Only after the truck was turned off via the start\stop feature and effectively does ZERO as as the "hybrid assist" can't even run on it's own.
Cooling system assist, wtf are you even talking about? When start\stop is engaged there is 0 cooling being done, AC gets turned off and air gets hot in the summer, and cold in the winter because it changes to vent only.
Eliminating the need for a starter for start\stop? You still have a starter, you no longer have an alternator, and if your 48v battery pack goes your truck will not run on the 12v battery.

Did you even research the system?

This thread in particular was about the diesel which you clearly have 0 understanding on how they work.

There are no pros to be gained having eTorque on a diesel.
How much regenerative breaking losing mpg would it require to replace the .5-1 gallon of diesel it uses in an hour of being idle?

Who says they hate everything about them? This thread was asking about a combination of features are do not currently exist or are offered.
The starter isn't used with eTorque to start the engine from the start/stop system. I have no idea where you get that I said there was no starter.

You just want a confrontation with EVERY SINGLE POST you make. Not obliging.

I'm done on this forum. Waste of time and tired of dealing with the likes of you at every turn.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn’t think the eco diesel could even have auto stop start or mds as options.

smashweights

Reaction score
Without getting into the other arguments, this is not correct. My eTorque went into some failsafe mode where the ET system shut off and wasn't charging or running the system. Truck ran off the 12v until it would run out of power. Had to keep it on a charger overnight until we got it to the dealer to fix but I could still get to work and back on a full 12v charge.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also eTorque would be 100% pointless on a diesel, they use almost no gas while idle, so start stop (the only feature of eTorque) is pointless.
Wow. You are really something. Your posts entertain the hell out of me. Usually not very right. 💩🤪🤯

That said.

I hope that all diesels use no gas ever, not just at idle. 😂

I love the internet.

I miss the old days of this site.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stop/start is not for saving fuel. It is for emissions. (Saving fuel is a benefit). The vehicle is not running therefore it is not emitting.

Stop/start was coming to the RAM. RAM made it better with eTorque. It helps allow for stop/start when towing at GCWR. And there are many other things it makes, better.

As mentioned by the expert...it really does not matter or help with a diesel...but the expert did bring up the non benefits of eTorque...while ignoring the benefits of it over traditional stop/start. (Who would have ever thought a thread can go off topic, :eek:)

Diesel emissions are under attack...which is the main reason the ecoDiesel is gone.

Ah, just kidding, what do I know!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque is a classic example of one step forward but two steps backward. Yes it has "benefits". But the disadvantages outweigh those benefits. So it increases the EPA combined score by 2 MPG. ALL of that savings goes up into thin air the first time you have to buy a MGU out of warranty and have it programmed to work with the PCM/48V system. It has also been proven to increase the risk of vehicle fires. It is a complete waste of time. The other OEs have hybrid systems that actually work better. eTorque is joke.

As far as the EcoD goes I hated the start/stop system because it requires two batteries under hood. This adds complexity and cost to everything including jump starting a dead vehicle. And for what, 0.3% better city MPG? Again, these systems are a joke.

MDS is the worst offender of all though. MDS actually kills engines. We've seen timing chain recalls, cam/lifter failures, etc. etc. for at least 10-12 years. WHY are they still using this junk?

I was lucky to find one of the very last non-eTorque Hemi trucks made. I can shut off MDS with the press of a button. No direct injection. No forced induction. No hybrid system. As simple as pie. Life is good.

Dealership emailed me this week and asked if I would be willing to sell it back to them. Here we are 9 months later. They have customers looking for THESE powertrains.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
eTorque is a classic example of one step forward but two steps backward. Yes it has "benefits". But the disadvantages outweigh those benefits. So it increases the EPA combined score by 2 MPG. ALL of that savings goes up into thin air the first time you have to buy a MGU out of warranty and have it programmed to work with the PCM/48V system. It has also been proven to increase the risk of vehicle fires. It is a complete waste of time. The other OEs have hybrid systems that actually work better. eTorque is joke.

As far as the EcoD goes I hated the start/stop system because it requires two batteries under hood. This adds complexity and cost to everything including jump starting a dead vehicle. And for what, 0.3% better city MPG? Again, these systems are a joke.

MDS is the worst offender of all though. MDS actually kills engines. We've seen timing chain recalls, cam/lifter failures, etc. etc. for at least 10-12 years. WHY are they still using this junk?

I was lucky to find one of the very last non-eTorque Hemi trucks made. I can shut off MDS with the press of a button. No direct injection. No forced induction. No hybrid system. As simple as pie. Life is good.

Dealership emailed me this week and asked if I would be willing to sell it back to them. Here we are 9 months later. They have customers looking for THESE powertrains.
Some folks said disabling MDS actually hurts the lifters or something like that. Dont know if its true.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS makes no sense on a Diesel. It can reduce pumping losses on gas engines that run in air-starved mode most of the time, but Diesels flow full air all the time so nothing to be gained.

eTorque disappointed me from a design standpoint. Motor/generator is too small to do much useful work other than start/stop, and the belt drive is just plain wimpy. Should have been as powerful as the ICE it is paired with and integrated into the bellhousing/transmission. Also should have gone full 48V, or maybe even 96 or 160 and eliminate the starter and 12V altogether. It's a committee-design Frankenstein system that should be put out of its misery and never again inflicted upon any engine.

Both stupid ideas on a Diesel. There I said it! Change my mind...

Users who are viewing this thread