5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Torque Questions

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the RamBox is now available it is time to get serious
263a.png

But first a few E-Torque questions. I could go either way on this one. I haven't made up my mind yet

1. I am wondering about the reliability of the technology in general and the longevity of the battery pack and how long they are designed for?

2. Resale/Trade In value down the road on a truck equipped with it vs just the regular Hemi......Better/Worse or the same?

Don't laugh about the next one! But I can't help but ask it. It keeps playing over and over in my mind!!!

3. I love the sound of the Hemi and exhaust when starting my truck. With the Auto Start/Stop feature will that robust exhaust noise be the same during the stop/start feature or would it be a more muted sound so you would hardly notice the truck starting back up? As much as I like the sound of the truck starting now I would think it would become rather annoying if it was so loud all the time during use of this feature.

Also feel free to chime in with any other thoughts about this subject. I plan to hit the dealer on Monday and check out the 2019 in person. I am pretty locked in on what I want except for the E-Torque

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Slim said:
Since the RamBox is now available it is time to get serious
263a.png

But first a few E-Torque questions. I could go either way on this one. I haven't made up my mind yet

1. I am wondering about the reliability of the technology in general and the longevity of the battery pack and how long they are designed for?

2. Resale/Trade In value down the road on a truck equipped with it vs just the regular Hemi......Better/Worse or the same?

Don't laugh about the next one! But I can't help but ask it. It keeps playing over and over in my mind!!!

3. I love the sound of the Hemi and exhaust when starting my truck. With the Auto Start/Stop feature will that robust exhaust noise be the same during the stop/start feature or would it be a more muted sound so you would hardly notice the truck starting back up? As much as I like the sound of the truck starting now I would think it would become rather annoying if it was so loud all the time during use of this feature.

Also feel free to chime in with any other thoughts about this subject. I plan to hit the dealer on Monday and check out the 2019 in person. I am pretty locked in on what I want except for the E-Torque
All good questions, while we won't really know too much until they start getting into peoples hands and get some years behind them but I could make some educated guesses.

1) The system is actually not very complex as a whole, it's actually quite a simple design. I personally don't imagine there is much to it that could be problematic, but then again I'm not an engineer or an expert on this subject matter. As far as the battery, they haven't stated any kind of battery life that I know of at this point, but I do know of Prius taxis with 7-800,00kms on them still running on the original battery. I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the battery pack in my opinion.

2) Resale value comparing an eTorque equipped truck vs one without will be dictated by how it is received in the marketplace. If it's desirable, eTorque equipped trucks will command higher resale values. If it isn't well accepted then I would imagine resale values about when regular Hemi equipped trucks command or a bit less.

3) While I haven't driven a 2019 yet (hoping to change that this weekend) I have heard/read that they are very very quiet inside. I find my current truck even with its Magnaflow exhaust system is pretty loud on a cold start (but sounds awesome), but when it's up to temp it's decently quiet when being started up. I think with the truck up to temperature it won't be bothersome. There is always the option to disable the stop/start if it's bugging you as well. I think this is a question where you would really have to drive one yourself and see whether it bothers you or not.

D

Deleted member 85

Slim said:
Start/Stop technology does not activate in park. I do not think this changes on the new Ram (don't know for sure), but a truck cannot "warm-up" without actually running.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would imagine when the battery goes and needs to be replaced that will cost thousands.

Flot

Reaction score
alacombe said:
I would imagine when the battery goes and needs to be replaced that will cost thousands.
So even though it is a $800 upgrade which includes the BSG, wiring, and battery, you think the battery itself will cost thousands?

Based on the published specs, it is a 48v, 9 amp lithium battery. Just looking at misc specs, it seems you can order something like that online for anywhere from $400-1000.

I'm disappointed in the lack of info on the etorque system. I would have held off on my order if there were more detailed specs available, and at $800 it would be a bargain if it provided any sort of meaningful performance benefit. The fact that Ram has been so tight lipped about it makes me think it is less exciting than we'd like.

I'm holding out hope for a more interesting 2nd gen of the system. I've owned a dodge/jeep/ram for the last 18 years, but I don't give them the highest scores at rolling out new tech. It was a big enough leap of faith pre-ordering a 2019.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cant really compare this to a hybrid but I would imagine the battery used in this E-torque and a hybrid are some what similar at least similar concept with the start and stop feature and I know when those hybrid batteries go it will does cost thousands for a new battery and install. Also, maintenance will be more expensive to work on this E-torque. For a lot of the maintenance a specific Chrysler mechanic who's certified to work on e-torques will only be able to perform maintenance on it. Normal maintenance will be most costly then a regular engine. Unless your a guy who does your own work I would believe Chrysler is going to have many safety precautions before working on this truck for future maintenance needs just like other companies are with their hybrids.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Dang. Talk about a downer. Now I’m thinking of NOT getting the eTorque.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't see why it would cost any more for maintenance. I am thinking there will be no maintenance on the ETorque side of it. Its just a electric motor so no maintenance on that, sure the batteries will need to be replaced but that will be part of the power train and should be covered under warranty.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it will be covered under warranty but the expensive time comes when the warranty is over. The battery will easy make it through the warranty period but when the warranty expires the battery will at some point after that too just like all hybrids. Hybrid batteries always need to be replaced and that always occurs after the warranty is over. From my experience with hybrids is that not all technicians at the dealerships are certified to work on electric hybrids which I would imagine the E-torque will be the same way. This increases cost. Also, regular maintenance will also have a cost increase due to many factors when working on a car that is partially driven by an electric battery. There are so many safety precautions dealerships have to overcome every time they do any maintenance on a partially electric car. When working on a partially electric car a lot has to be disconnected before working on it which increases labor costs too.

This is just from my experience with hybrids not saying it will be the same case with the e-torque but I am willing to bet it will be. I don't want you guys to fall into my same trap. (Maybe I am wrong and hopefully I am but I will not get a e-torque because of my experience with partially driven electronic cars) With my experience with replacing a battery like this was around 4k with install at a certified dealer. Maybe it could be cheaper if you just went to some corner shop but I would never recommend bringing a electric car like this to anyone but the dealer.

PS: with my old hybrid you couldn't even fill it with gas until hitting the gas flap from inside the car and then the car did a self check to make sure all the electric power from this hybrid battery was turned off for safety reasons. Also, the stop and go when the car would turn on and off at red lights was extremely annoying after the 1st month of having it.

Flot

Reaction score
Alacombe, I feel like you are overthinking this system. It's simply an electric motor attached to the existing drive belt. (which I admit is a clever way to do things) The battery pack is the same size used on many _electric bicycles_ today.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Headed to my dealer tomorrow morning. Still on the fence about the E-Torque. I am thinking that it seems more of a supplemental system so maybe the back end costs or repairs will be manageable. I also factor in the fact that since I tend to replace my model every 3-4 years I may not have to worry so much about any long term problems........Hard to predict the future though.

Anything anyone wants me to ask at the dealer tomorrow?

Wish me luck!!!
263a.png

LordHobbit

Reaction score
If you replace in 3-4 years, you should have no worry. I highly doubt the battery will give you problems in that time. Replacement shouldn't be too much of a problem either. The biggest I see is actually getting to the battery. I think it is tucked up in front of the bed. Very possible the bed will have to be removed in order to reach/replace it. I'm just speculating here.

Speaking as an engineer and looking over what information is available, the system itself isn't all that exciting. As with many innovations, it is very smart, but not exciting. Expect it only to help with the start/stop getting the truck moving. It's purpose is to move the wheels (while the system is already up to temperature) from a stop and get the engine spinning for a restart. Nothing more.

Worth it in my opinion.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mounted in the cab behind the seats so should be fairly easy to get at right beside the subwoofer if you get the Alpine/HK stereo.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
2019REBEL said:
Mounted in the cab behind the seats so should be fairly easy to get at right beside the subwoofer if you get the Alpine/HK stereo.
Correct. It's also the size of a suitcase. I don't imagine it being very hard or expensive to replace, but as I said I'm not an expert on the matter.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Wonder the opportunities for "mods" to the batteries or BSG to increase output in the future? Someone surely will figure out a way to put bigger battery pack or multiple packs eventually since this is a "mild" setup.

Could it be as simple as larger pulley or higher output battery to get real launch improvements?

D

Deleted member103

Rustydodge said:
Wonder the opportunities for "mods" to the batteries or BSG to increase output in the future? Someone surely will figure out a way to put bigger battery pack or multiple packs eventually since this is a "mild" setup.
There goes that warrantee ! I can see it now,
1f914.png
1f609.png
, in attempt to improve his stop/start even MORE, driver smells smoke coming from behind rear seating area . . . OH MY GOSH ETHEL, ABANDON SHIP ! ! !
1f604.png
1f62e.png

Rustydodge

Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
There goes that warrantee ! I can see it now,
1f914.png
1f609.png
, in attempt to improve his stop/start even MORE, driver smells smoke coming from behind rear seating area . . . OH MY GOSH ETHEL, ABANDON SHIP ! ! !
1f604.png
1f62e.png
Most likely by the time i get a DT it will be used with 30-80k miles and out of warranty, so let the mods begin! By then they'll be ironed out and forums will be full of easy mods.

D

Deleted member103

Rustydodge said:
Most likely by the time i get a DT it will be used with 30-80k miles and out of warranty, so let the mods begin! By then they'll be ironed out and forums will be full of easy mods.
Aw, gee Rusty, if ya would of given me a heads-up on the "used" aspect of it, I wouldn't of been so hard on ya . . .
263a.png
263a.png
1f609.png
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/