5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust leaking thru backdoors

kirglynn

Reaction score
Hi just started driving my 19 Ram on gravel for a week now and lot of dust leaking in 3 of my doors. You open the backdoors and a big poof of dust goes up and underneath the seat and on the seat is very dusty. Anybody have any fixes for this? TIA

Nibis

Reaction score
Yeah, these doors don't seal up the greatest. I have wind noise. I bet if I were to drive on some gravel, I would have dust too. I wonder if your strikers could be adjusted for a tighter fit. I used to live off of gravel roads, it really messes up your cars and trucks.

kirglynn

Reaction score
I just traded in a 19 Denali that had no issues over the last year with dust. The aluminum body Fords all leaked, had 3 of them but these are even worse.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram basically uses the same door sealing technique as GM and Ford so there's nothing unusual in the approach. If road dust is getting into the interior, there's a loss of sealing somewhere. If you suspect the doors are the problem you can verify seal integrity by using a thin sheet of paper to check the perimeter seals when the door is closed. I've used a 0.010 inch thick of plastic strip for this purpose.

Be aware that where you see the dust may not be an indication of where the seal leak is.

Your dealer's service dept. should be able to diagnose that problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033077 miles.

kirglynn

Reaction score
Thanks I'll try that with a piece of paper. I'm also going to see if the service department has any fixes for it. My dad had one that was awful and at the same time his other one didn't have the problem one bit so there must be something to fix. Thanks

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram basically uses the same door sealing technique as GM and Ford so there's nothing unusual in the approach. If road dust is getting into the interior, there's a loss of sealing somewhere. If you suspect the doors are the problem you can verify seal integrity by using a thin sheet of paper to check the perimeter seals when the door is closed. I've used a 0.010 inch thick of plastic strip for this purpose.

Be aware that where you see the dust may not be an indication of where the seal leak is.

Your dealer's service dept. should be able to diagnose that problem.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033077 miles.
Somethin‘s up here, Dusty is replying to a post about dust...

On my ancient 77 GMC CC that the poor family had to suffer in on trips, when it was snowing outside, it was blowing snow inside. The kids ( 5-8 yrs of age then) laughed and thought it was funny, wife, well uh, not so much.

It looked like the one below minus the lift:
1590708649750.jpeg

RamCares

Reaction score
Thanks I'll try that with a piece of paper. I'm also going to see if the service department has any fixes for it. My dad had one that was awful and at the same time his other one didn't have the problem one bit so there must be something to fix. Thanks

Hi @kirglynn - If you do address this with your dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for an additional layer of support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Brent T

Reaction score
I have complained about this for 70,000km. Bought new in feb/19, over half my driving is gravel. Can hardly breath in here some days. Dealer says they hear that all the time and no fix. I wonder about the vents in back of cab? I also get the big dust cloud when I open rear doors.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have complained about this for 70,000km. Bought new in feb/19, over half my driving is gravel. Can hardly breath in here some days. Dealer says they hear that all the time and no fix. I wonder about the vents in back of cab? I also get the big dust cloud when I open rear doors.

Hi @Brent T - I just had a chance to respond to your message on this.

Mark
RamCares

kirglynn

Reaction score
I haven't made it in to the dealer yet but the backseats are pretty bad at this point. Got some rain the last few days so a little relief.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have dust getting through, do you have water coming into the cab?

kirglynn

Reaction score
No, seems to be good as far as moisture. It's just that fine dust finding it's way in at higher speeds on gravel. I guess it hasn't sat in the rain really either, a little driving thru it otherwise in the garage.

RamCares

Reaction score
I haven't made it in to the dealer yet but the backseats are pretty bad at this point. Got some rain the last few days so a little relief.

Please be sure to keep us posted when you do have a chance to address this with your dealer!

Mark
RamCares

ksu1971

Reaction score
I have the same issue with dust coming in the back seat somewhere. I took it to a dealer this morning and he mentioned he has 5 trucks he is working on with the same issue. He doesn't know what is going on and neither does Dodge was his statement. He did say it was only the 1500 having the problem.

kirglynn

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I still haven't made it in. Have over 13k on it now and when it's dry and very windy it's pretty ridiculous in the cab. I bought a 20 Limited recently as well and I'm keeping that one on the pavement. Hopefully they get it figured out because I've never had it this dusty. Other than that they are sweet.

RamCares

Reaction score
I have the same issue with dust coming in the back seat somewhere. I took it to a dealer this morning and he mentioned he has 5 trucks he is working on with the same issue. He doesn't know what is going on and neither does Dodge was his statement. He did say it was only the 1500 having the problem.

Sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this, @ksu1971. If you are in need of any additional support while working with the dealer, please do not hesitate to send us a private message!

Mark
RamCares

2019REBEL

Reaction score

Pretty bad when dealers still call them Dodge....they have been RAM's for over 10+ years. :)

Hofty

Reaction score
Pretty bad when dealers still call them Dodge....they have been RAM's for over 10+ years. :)
Can't believe they still don't have a solution. Bought a 20 about a month ago and it's terrible. Venting in door definitely doesn't work right. Of all the things you check for buying a vehicle, would have never thought of this. And the answer Chrysler gives the dealer is keep fan on high. Sure hope some smart owner comes up with something

ksu1971

Reaction score
My dealer pulled the back seat and carpet. They actually put silicone over the penetrations through the floor and replaced the shutters. That seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

kirglynn

Reaction score
My dealer pulled the back seat and carpet. They actually put silicone over the penetrations through the floor and replaced the shutters. That seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I ended up getting mine and dealer sent me to their auto body shop and is going to do the same, pull all the back seat flooring up. It sounds like they have had to do a handful but told me no fix for all the dust holding around the door seal that creates the poof of dust when you open the door and all your cargo gets blasted.

Users who are viewing this thread