5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have not messed with the truck. I can say I have a hemi car I took the pedal commander off of. When I got a custom tune it was much better than the PC. Granted it is a 2012 so the PCM was not locked so it was more economical, but hands down better.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have not messed with the truck. I can say I have a hemi car I took the pedal commander off of. When I got a custom tune it was much better than the PC. Granted it is a 2012 so the PCM was not locked so it was more economical, but hands down better.
It's not fair to compair a throttle booster vs a tune lol. I have a tune on my 2022 but it doesn't remove the throttle lag :(

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It's not fair to compair a throttle booster vs a tune lol. I have a tune on my 2022 but it doesn't remove the throttle lag :(
Haha, yes very different but Josh got the throttle lag out with the tune and not as sudden and harsh as the PC. It's not a canned tune though. I don't pretend to know what was done.

One thing I don't like is with the Diablo custom tunes, it's just loaded and locked. With my SCT in my Lincoln I can still tweak things. Example, I just tweeked the spark advance a bit in the lower stage of rpm range because I could hear a bit of pinging early on. I don't see anything with Diablo.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you purposely not have the throttle lag tweaked in the tune?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
True. I would hope it does a hell of a lot for the price.
I don't think it's worth it for what they charge new. Got mine used for less than half price and it's eel worth it for that

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone weighed their trucks? it would be neat to see the weight differences.

My 2020 Crew HEMI 4x4 BigHorn weighed in at 5810 lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel.
I take note every time I go to the dump. Im always at 6600 with around a quarter tank with light stuff, extra trash nothing heavy.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't think it's worth it for what they charge new. Got mine used for less than half price and it's eel worth it for that
Got mine used too. But got a brand new one this week because of some issues. They really stand behind their product.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Canned tune or custom?
Drivability, including throttle response, has been just as much a priority as power in every customer tune I’ve done. Mine or others.

If custom you might have your tuner provide a revision focused on throttle response.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine used too. But got a brand new one this week because of some issues. They really stand behind their product.
The original owner of mine sent it back to have Edge update it before he sold it. Not sure what all they did. The case is still the original style compared to what I've seen listed recently as the "updated" version. But I haven't had any issues with mine other than a couple CELs for cam/crank sensor that killed the throttle. But when I went to remove it before taking to dealer, I noticed I had forgot to connect the bonding wire when I had installed it the last time. Dealer said everything was good, they did see the historical saved engine code and cleared it. When I put Pulsar back in, I made sure to connect the bonding wire, and no issues since.

And since Z-automotive stopped their support of working with Pulsar, just have to be mindful to not try and change Pulsar modes when any live feature from the TazerDT is active, or it will freak out the truck, display "updating" in EVIC screen and defaults the Pulsar back to stock tune. Have to do a power cycle of ignition, then verrhing will work again. And the power cycle means turning off truck and walking away from at least 5 minutes, or have to do a reboot of the TazerDT in acc mode

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha, yes very different but Josh got the throttle lag out with the tune and not as sudden and harsh as the PC. It's not a canned tune though. I don't pretend to know what was done.

One thing I don't like is with the Diablo custom tunes, it's just loaded and locked. With my SCT in my Lincoln I can still tweak things. Example, I just tweeked the spark advance a bit in the lower stage of rpm range because I could hear a bit of pinging early on. I don't see anything with Diablo.
Yeah the tuneing software I believe costs $2500, really crappy of them to do it.
I only went with Diablo as I sitll had my old tuner and license freeded up.
Did you purposely not have the throttle lag tweaked in the tune?
I mean I went with a guy who does terrible tunes, so maybe so.
Canned tune or custom?
Drivability, including throttle response, has been just as much a priority as power in every customer tune I’ve done. Mine or others.

If custom you might have your tuner provide a revision focused on throttle response.
It's a custom tune, but was from Jaygreene who I discovered did not really know how to tune the trucks. I was not ready to drop hundreds of dollars into another guy to tune it (no one local will do tunes on trucks I called around to a bunch of places).
I went back to canned tunes because of my experience with him as I don't trust the tunes.
I need to reach out to someone for a tune, I tried Hemifeaver but they never responded to me. I think I need to email Diablotuna but I am pretty nervious to go through the whole process again and risk having a truck that can't even turn on (like I did with Jay Greene tuning)

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yeah the tuneing software I believe costs $2500, really crappy of them to do it.

It's a custom tune, but was from Jaygreene who I discovered did not really know how to tune the trucks. I was not ready to drop hundreds of dollars into another guy to tune it (no one local will do tunes on trucks I called around to a bunch of places).
I went back to canned tunes because of my experience with him as I don't trust the tunes.
I need to reach out to someone for a tune, I tried Hemifeaver but they never responded to me. I think I need to email Diablotuna but I am pretty nervious to go through the whole process again and risk having a truck that can't even turn on (like I did with Jay Greene tuning)
I used Hemifever and it was a good tune. For a car though. Then I got motor work done and they did a custom.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Haven't heard too many bad stories about Jaygreene. Mostly positive feedback, and he seems to focus more on the trucks, where as Hemifever and Diablotoona do mostly cars.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well was able to find an PC on Amazon with free returns.
Just swapped it from my Sprintbooster and see if it does anything, I don't suspect it will help the lag whatsoever though.

I think when I return it I will take another swing at trying to find a tuner that can use Diablosport as I don't want to re-invest into HPTuners (I guess I could sell my Diablo I3).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well was able to find an PC on Amazon with free returns.
Just swapped it from my Sprintbooster and see if it does anything, I don't suspect it will help the lag whatsoever though.

I think when I return it I will take another swing at trying to find a tuner that can use Diablosport as I don't want to re-invest into HPTuners (I guess I could sell my Diablo I3).
Now, I I no way support this guy, but that's more personal between him and I, but here is another option. I know lots of guys running his tunes with no issues. And pretty sure he can do Diablo tunes

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I recently 'upgraded' from a 2017 Lone Star to a 2023. Same specs, except the 2023 has eTorque. I noticed the foot to the floor acceleration of the '23 is much slower than the '17. What gives?
8-9 months later Brandon, how do you feel about it now?
My situation is a lot like yours and ive just read all 6 pages of this thread, hoping to learn something that might help.
My 24 Limited is a great deal slower at every facet of acceleration, than my 14 Laramie, and thirstier too. Same drivetrain with the exception of etorque and all the techy stuff. I loved the minimal throttle travel needed to get the 14 to haul ***. By comparison, im pushing the pedal on the 24 far further and although its revving, the overall sensation is that im pulling twice as much weight.
Just turned over 2500 miles, so im trying to not be too demanding of it, but shes gotta wake up soon.
Im about to do the battery disconnect, throttle relearn thing - does that really work?
Next fill up will be premium to see if that makes it respond better.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
8-9 months later Brandon, how do you feel about it now?
My situation is a lot like yours and ive just read all 6 pages of this thread, hoping to learn something that might help.
My 24 Limited is a great deal slower at every facet of acceleration, than my 14 Laramie, and thirstier too. Same drivetrain with the exception of etorque and all the techy stuff. I loved the minimal throttle travel needed to get the 14 to haul ***. By comparison, im pushing the pedal on the 24 far further and although its revving, the overall sensation is that im pulling twice as much weight.
Just turned over 2500 miles, so im trying to not be too demanding of it, but shes gotta wake up soon.
Im about to do the battery disconnect, throttle relearn thing - does that really work?
Next fill up will be premium to see if that makes it respond better.
The disconnect battery does help a lot to relearn. I think there's something crazy like 74 different "profiles" that it tries to learn you into (I could be wrong on this).
I notice I get more mpg using premium gas.
I also noticed the engine wake up around the 5k mile mark for me.

Don't knock the difference in weight. My 22 Limited is just over 6300 lbs. You can shave 1k off that depending on the trim and options.

You can get a throttle booster to adjust the curve of the pedal which does make the truck feel a ton better

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
The disconnect battery does help a lot to relearn. I think there's something crazy like 74 different "profiles" that it tries to learn you into (I could be wrong on this).
I notice I get more mpg using premium gas.
I also noticed the engine wake up around the 5k mile mark for me.

Don't knock the difference in weight. My 22 Limited is just over 6300 lbs. You can shave 1k off that depending on the trim and options.

You can get a throttle booster to adjust the curve of the pedal which does make the truck feel a ton better
Wow, your 22 Limited is only 6300lbs?. My door sticker says 7100lbs GVWR !
I dont remember what my Laramie weighed, but I routinely had 4 big guys, 4 sets of golf clubs and 4 overnight bags in my Laramie, and it didnt even seem to care. The 24 feels like its towing that Laramie with just my fat butt in it :)
Im sure the pedal fly by wire system is tapered towards economy, yet another failed attempt at such.
Ill try the relearn and premium gas with a heavier foot, and see what happens.
Im really hoping it has some built in limitation until a certain mileage is hit, like you say !

Users who are viewing this thread