5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't seem to have any of these lags. A little throttle by wire lag time but that's it. I also only have an 8 speed just 1-8. They forgot 0 on mine. I don't have Etorque or start stop.

Fortunately mine does not break. I mean there is a squeak somewhere and some suspension noise I haven't nailed down but that is on me for tinkering with a lift. I am glad it does not break. I hate it when a vehicle breaks. I have enough projects without my Ram breaking. Like the brakes I have to put on the wife's vehicle.

darth_vader

Reaction score
Sounds more like your transmission hunting for a gear, than throttle lag. You can enable the gear display on your dash so you know what gear you are in. My truck drops down to 3rd when coming to a stop, but doesn't drop lower until I'm at a complete stop, unless I stat to accelerate again
Let me give that a look next time I'm in there. Its funny you say that, but that's something I was telling some friends when I first got it was that it always felt like it didn't know what gear to be in. Especially when downshifting, always felt like it was a little confused. But let me give this a look. Thx

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how is it coming off the break? If I'm on the break in "what I would think is 1st gear" then come off the break and immediately need throttle, that's where my lag is for about half second. From a stop it's fine. Lotta roundabouts where I live so I'm constantly on the break, then wanting some throttle.

I've noticed no lag at all under any conditions and we have quite a few round a bout's around here.

However, after owning 4 Hemi Rams I've learned that if you floor the accelerator from a dead stop it doesn't really lag, but it may not initially accelerate as hard as you think it should. I'm pretty sure that's the Torque Management System kicking in to save your drive train. You will get a better launch if you step the throttle and initially use 1/2 - 3/4 throttle for a second before flooring it. Some of the time if you floor it from a dead stop it will momentarily launch hard, but if it senses good traction the torque management will kick in and kill your torque until you let off the throttle a little.

darth_vader

Reaction score
I've noticed no lag at all under any conditions and we have quite a few round a bout's around here.

However, after owning 4 Hemi Rams I've learned that if you floor the accelerator from a dead stop it doesn't really lag, but it may not initially accelerate as hard as you think it should. I'm pretty sure that's the Torque Management System kicking in to save your drive train. You will get a better launch if you step the throttle and initially use 1/2 - 3/4 throttle for a second before flooring it. Some of the time if you floor it from a dead stop it will momentarily launch hard, but if it senses good traction the torque management will kick in and kill your torque until you let off the throttle a little.
That's interesting, I wonder if it is an actual issue then. I've read and heard different things from many folks, some say there's a delay/lag, others, like yourself say there isn't. I did take it back in to the dealer and they said that's standard, but honestly, that's what I expected them to say.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I've definitely felt what he was describing. It's not as pronounced in my Ram, but my work van I had with previous job was horrible about it. Most noticeable when rolling out of a driveway, or coming up to an intersection. You are rolling slow and hesitate a little before trying to gun it to either hit a gap in traffic or the light changes. There is a huge mag as the transmission starts hunting for the right gear. Almost caused me to get in an accident more than once in the work van.

Before I added the Pulsar it was far more noticable

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve heard these work on 5th gen rams if you don’t want to spend hundreds. I haven’t tried it myself tho

I’ve been running one very similar to that for almost a year now and haven’t had any issues. Amazon special and a value purchase worth trying. I just make sure to not adjust it on the fly. Only in Park. Set it and forget it. Works great for me.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's interesting, I wonder if it is an actual issue then. I've read and heard different things from many folks, some say there's a delay/lag, others, like yourself say there isn't. I did take it back in to the dealer and they said that's standard, but honestly, that's what I expected them to say.

For giggles, try disabling the auto stop start and run through these scenarios again to see if it’s any better.
Some have reported eTorque being over eager to shut things off when slowing, like to a stop.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My tradesman has HSL very bad also, especially when stopped trying to pull out in heavy traffic, and it is already in first gear. I have learned to powerbrake for the takeoff. It does also have HSL when turning a city corner, hunting a gear, and if the wife isn't in, I let it spin and hit traction control. Both ways, it does not help to have an open diff. Obviously have to watch for police too. I wonder if tradesman has more anti-abuse than other trims???

In any case, a performance reflash that eliminates the preprogrammed OEM lag is the only actual cure. Pedal sensitivity modules only remap the pedal - you can do that yourself with your foot. I have a pedal mapper, and I've also had 4 other cars reflashed for real effects. Reading my other posts, I'm not sure I'm keeping this truck past warranty to reflash.

darth_vader

Reaction score
So I put the gear display up this morning. What i've noticed is when I'm breaking into say a roundabout going 15 or so MPH, its still in 4th or 5th gear. So it feels like when I wanna give it some throttle, the gear is too high, so it does some thinking, before putting it in a lower gear and finally going. I guess giving it that much throttle in 5th gear at such a low speed would cause it to stall lol, so computer says "wait a moment, let me switch you to something lower". Seems like they're programmed for efficiency, but man it's annoying.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I put the gear display up this morning. What i've noticed is when I'm breaking into say a roundabout going 15 or so MPH, its still in 4th or 5th gear. So it feels like when I wanna give it some throttle, the gear is too high, so it does some thinking, before putting it in a lower gear and finally going. I guess giving it that much throttle in 5th gear at such a low speed would cause it to stall lol, so computer says "wait a moment, let me switch you to something lower". Seems like they're programmed for efficiency, but man it's annoying.
I would say it’s probably trying to be as efficient as possible.

Maybe it would act be different with in ERS or T/H. Might be worth a try.

Would there be any ill effects from using T/H all the time?

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was catching up on this long thread. But I bought a 2023 Limited (yeah, I saved for 10 years and I splurged) but now to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. But my lag isn't from a stop, but it's when I'm coming off the break and wanting to "go". Think round-a-bouts where you're sort of breaking going in, then need to give it gas. There's a considerable delay of about a half second, then (if I'm really trying to go) it opens up and give me all the throttle, typically p*ssing my wife off for "flooring it" when I'm just trying to get going. I read about pedal commander, installed it today, sure it gave more sensitivity from a stop or if you're already cruising, but it didn't fix the delay coming off the break. (I'll be sending that baby back) It's almost like when you're on the break it goes into neutral, then when you give it gas, it takes a while to "think" then get into gear. I took it back to the dealer and they said it's normal, but I've never driven anything like this, it's borderline dangerous IMHO.

Any thoughts?
2023 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 5.7 w/ eTorque , 3.92 axle ration.
Pedal Monster by Banks. Way better than PedalComander. IMO.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

See the Hellwig sway bar thread. Get one of those and hit the roundabouts at 45. Problem solved. :LOL:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just as an aside, I got a new Compass for the warranty part wait, and when turning a corner, it also takes about 2 seconds to find a gear. It is obviously an EPA thing, trying to be in too high a gear for mpg, yet you put your foot down to accelerate from the corner like your an older driver of normal cars. The last manual challengers I'm sure don't have this problem. This compass does chug absolutely terrible at 55mph tho.

Users who are viewing this thread