5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Crew 3.6 2WD w/ 3.55 gearing, it was super peppy and overall the truck felt much lighter and tossable.

My 2020 *feels* much heavier & isolated, I attribute that to better sound insolation, noise cancelation and a better smoother suspension, but with the HEMI and 3.92 gearing, it gets moving just fine and I have never noticed a lag.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your disagreement doesn't really mean much since you have never driven any of the trucks I have owned. My 2023 is not nearly as peppy as my 2012 or 2017 hemi Rams and that is just a fact. It's much closer to my 2003 and a factory rating of 345 or 360 is irrelevant.
SOTP comparisons don't really mean much. There is enough difference between the trucks, that what you "feel" as being slower/faster doesn't always equate to actual performance

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just have to ask... If you have throttle lag what does that have to do with 0 to 60? I mean, if you are at 0 and there is a five minute lag before you start moving, that five minutes is before 0 not between 0 and 60.
I just do it like @theblet described when passing or whatever, anticipate and commit. I mean in the end, it is a slow *** old pickup truck.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess what the OP considers quick passing acceleration and what I do may differ, but my truck is similar but a diesel and I find the passing power pretty good, even towing the camper (well, I don't whip the camper around other cars, but acceleration is good. )

BowDown

Reaction score
Your disagreement doesn't really mean much since you have never driven any of the trucks I have owned. My 2023 is not nearly as peppy as my 2012 or 2017 hemi Rams and that is just a fact. It's much closer to my 2003 and a factory rating of 345 or 360 is irrelevant.
But your perception is reality?
My 2003 was hands down slower than my 20 which was my counter point but unless you've timed both, it's opinion.

I had an impromptu street event in my 2003 vs a 2019-20 Laramie 4x4. I don't know what gears if had but it put about 3 trucks on me by 60mph. SoTP or not, that truck was quicker. When I got back home, I drove my 20 and it felt like effortless acceleration compared to the 03.

BowDown

Reaction score
I had a 2014 Crew 3.6 2WD w/ 3.55 gearing, it was super peppy and overall the truck felt much lighter and tossable.

My 2020 *feels* much heavier & isolated, I attribute that to better sound insolation, noise cancelation and a better smoother suspension, but with the HEMI and 3.92 gearing, it gets moving just fine and I have never noticed a lag.

I agree with you with regard to the 3.6. I had a loaner 22 Laramie 4x4 with the 3.6 when mine was getting the ac tsb and exhaust manifolds done. That truck felt strong, so strong that I stopped st a gas station after leaving the service center and looked under the hood. Truck was a 3.6 with etorque. The window sticker was in the glove compartment and said the truck had a 3.21 gear.

That truck was very snappy from idle and could fool you into thinking it was a V8 under 40 mph

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Comparing a 2019 DT and a 2022 DT...if I just flat-out stomp it, my 2022 would get smoked in the 60ft.

This is calculated with my a$$ dyno mind you...

IDK if it's the e-torque ('19 no, '22 yes) but I never have the S/S on (manually off-no jscan or alpha) in the 22 and I have tried every which way to play with the throttle and the 22 has that lag. Almost like a turbo in a way.

Sucks.

Dewey

Reaction score
Comparing a 2019 DT and a 2022 DT...if I just flat-out stomp it, my 2022 would get smoked in the 60ft.

IDK if it's the e-torque ('19 no, '22 yes) but I never have the S/S on (manually off-no jscan or alpha) in the 22 and I have tried every which way to play with the throttle and the 22 has that lag. Almost like a turbo in a way.

Sucks.
This is a good way to explain it. The motor seems to not rev up as quickly. I would like to blame it on 3.21 gears but was never a problem before I owned an eTorque.

My 22 was really terrible the first few thousand miles. I’m talking almost 8 second 0-60 times. It seriously felt like it was lacking 100 hp but then suddenly woke up almost overnight. Can’t explain why that would be but never experienced that with my non eTorque Hemi’s. Sounds like older 5th Gens don’t experience it nearly as much. Seems like something changed later on.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Sucks.
Are you considering from the time you stopm on the pedal or from the time you are moving?

Reverse

Reaction score
While our 2020 Limited is no slouch, our 2014 still feels faster when I drive it occasionally. They are very close in weight, have the same engine, same 3.92 rear, same transmission.

The only difference is that the 2020 has all of the stuff that was supposed to make it more fuel efficient (E-torque, grille shutters, active air dam etc.) Despite all that, the 2014 doesn't just feel faster, but also drinks less gas than 2020.

IMO opinion, it's due to transmission and e-torque programming. Some of it is probably also due to DT trucks being quieter than DSs, and thus feeling faster

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While our 2020 Limited is no slouch, our 2014 still feels faster when I drive it occasionally. They are very close in weight, have the same engine, same 3.92 rear, same transmission.

The only difference is that the 2020 has all of the stuff that was supposed to make it more fuel efficient (E-torque, grille shutters, active air dam etc.) Despite all that, the 2014 doesn't just feel faster, but also drinks less gas than 2020.

IMO opinion, it's due to transmission and e-torque programming. Some of it is probably also due to DT trucks being quieter than DSs, and thus feeling faster
I can guarantee your 2020 Limited weighs a decent amount more than a 2014 Bighorn.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But your perception is reality?
My 2003 was hands down slower than my 20 which was my counter point but unless you've timed both, it's opinion.

I had an impromptu street event in my 2003 vs a 2019-20 Laramie 4x4. I don't know what gears if had but it put about 3 trucks on me by 60mph. SoTP or not, that truck was quicker. When I got back home, I drove my 20 and it felt like effortless acceleration compared to the 03.

Yes, my perception is reality and I never said it was slower than my 2003, but that seems to be what you have stuck in your head. I said it was significantly slower than my 2012 and the 2017 that I had just driven for the past 6 years. I said it reminds me of the more sluggish performance of my 2003.

MarPar

Reaction score
This is a good way to explain it. The motor seems to not rev up as quickly. I would like to blame it on 3.21 gears but was never a problem before I owned an eTorque.

My 22 was really terrible the first few thousand miles. I’m talking almost 8 second 0-60 times. It seriously felt like it was lacking 100 hp but then suddenly woke up almost overnight. Can’t explain why that would be but never experienced that with my non eTorque Hemi’s. Sounds like older 5th Gens don’t experience it nearly as much. Seems like something changed later on.
Another thing I didn't mention. Both my trucks had the 3.21

MarPar

Reaction score
Are you considering from the time you stopm on the pedal or from the time you are moving?
The difference therein. There is a lag between the time I mat it until it the truck actually starts moving.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The difference therein. There is a lag between the time I mat it until it the truck actually starts moving.
throttle lag. That’s how these drive by wire trucks work unfortunately.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone weighed their trucks? it would be neat to see the weight differences.

My 2020 Crew HEMI 4x4 BigHorn weighed in at 5810 lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel.

MarPar

Reaction score
throttle lag. That’s how these drive by wire trucks work unfortunately.
Well that sucks. lol

I would have figured the pedal monster or similar would have negated that though. 🤷‍♂️

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neither. lol

My truck is a lease and I am wary of any reprogramming devices.
Throttle controllers don’t reprogram anything. They just act as an override switch to control the amount of lag. They are plug and play. And easily removable when taking to the dealer or turning back the lease.

Users who are viewing this thread