5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I recently 'upgraded' from a 2017 Lone Star to a 2023. Same specs, except the 2023 has eTorque. I noticed the foot to the floor acceleration of the '23 is much slower than the '17. What gives?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently 'upgraded' from a 2017 Lone Star to a 2023. Same specs, except the 2023 has eTorque. I noticed the foot to the floor acceleration of the '23 is much slower than the '17. What gives?
How long have you been driving it? It "learns" as you drive to adjust the pedal acceleration. But even then, it still a little sluggish to me. But my Pulsar wakes it up. Pedal Commander and the like will do a similar (not same) job.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
How long have you been driving it? It "learns" as you drive to adjust the pedal acceleration. But even then, it still a little sluggish to me. But my Pulsar wakes it up. Pedal Commander and the like will do a similar (not same) job.
4 months, 11k miles.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have heard this a few times now. Can you expand on how the 5th Gen’s “learn” as you drive, or steer me in the right direction? Pun intended. 🤣

I’m coming from a ‘15 DS and just chalked the DT up to being a new truck.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The electronic committee all has to agree on the same thing and that rarely happens if you mash the pedal. You can fool them by using 2/3rd throttle then full throttle once you hit ~4K rpm

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard this a few times now. Can you expand on how the 5th Gen’s “learn” as you drive, or steer me in the right direction? Pun intended. 🤣

I’m coming from a ‘15 DS and just chalked the DT up to being a new truck.
The PCMs have had adaptives since OBD2 came around in 1996. It's nothing new. The adaptives changing over time are what people mean when they say it's "learning". Fuel, timing, shift points and shift firmness will all adjust over time based on your driving style. Will also add in throttle response. Should only take a few hundred miles to maybe 1000 miles. This is why your vehicle always feels a little more "peppy" after exiting the freeway from a long drive at sustained highway speeds. And also the main reason people claim they have better throttle response after adding a CAI or exhaust because they unhooked the battery and cleared the "learned" adaptive. Because neither of those kids will have any effect on throttle response by themselves.

BowDown

Reaction score
I believe the DT's are also over 1,000lbs heavier, aren't they?

No. 5th Gen is lighter

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I’m talking more about passing on highways more so than 0-60. Throttle response is not the issue. It downshifts quickly once my foot hits the floor.

It is noticeably slower. After the downshift, 50-70 takes forever compared to my 2017.

As far as weight, my DT is 200# lighter than the DS. I tow a travel trailer occasionally and weigh the truck (with me in it and a full tank of fuel), then the truck and trailer, then the truck and trailer with weight distribution hitch. From my trips to the scales I know the DT is roughly 6100# vs the 6300# DS.

BowDown

Reaction score
I’m talking more about passing on highways more so than 0-60. Throttle response is not the issue. It downshifts quickly once my foot hits the floor.

It is noticeably slower. After the downshift, 50-70 takes forever compared to my 2017.

As far as weight, my DT is 200# lighter than the DS. I tow a travel trailer occasionally and weigh the truck (with me in it and a full tank of fuel), then the truck and trailer, then the truck and trailer with weight distribution hitch. From my trips to the scales I know the DT is roughly 6100# vs the 6300# DS.

What's the gearing of the 2 trucks?

Dewey

Reaction score

Yeah that doesn’t sound right. Mine screams from 50-70 mph when passing. No issues there at all.

23RAM

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Maybe a dealer road test is in order.

I drive with a fairly light foot for fuel mileage most of the time, but if I push it 1/3 - 1/2 down to merge or pass, it drops down a few gears and takes off. If I floor it along the on-ramp, it'll briefly light up the tires and take off like a scared rabbit. My wife isn't a fan of me doing that as she's used to quiet engines and exhaust notes, so when the Hemi growls, her eyes widen with concern.
:rolleyes:
I rode sport bikes with Yosh pipes for years, so this kind of behaviour is familiar to me.
😁

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has a DS 3.21 hemi, and it seems his is faster, because it spends far, far less time in torque management than mine, however you both have the same gear, so...

The "learn" might be "adjusted" by a few WOT bursts before you actually race someone; it is on my cheby, monitored by hptuners.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I recently traded my 2017 Laramie for a 2023 Limited and the 23 is considerably slower accelerating. Still acceptable, but noticeably slower compared to my 2012 and 2017 Rams. Reminds me of my 03 when the Hemi was rated at 360 HP.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is my first ram so I can’t compare to another one. Mine will hit 100mph from 55 quickly when I pass someone. Also chirps the tires good when flooring from a dead stop. No complaints besides throttle lag, but I’m used to that now

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I recently traded my 2017 Laramie for a 2023 Limited and the 23 is considerably slower accelerating. Still acceptable, but noticeably slower compared to my 2012 and 2017 Rams. Reminds me of my 03 when the Hemi was rated at 360 HP.
Proof?
What do you determine to be slow?
I consistently do 5.9 seconds 0-60 on an 6300 lbs truck. I don't think it's slow.
2023-11-05 16.45.31.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread