5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downhill assist

MPDamon

Reaction score
Anyone ever got this to work? I tried in 4 low the other day but the button doesn’t seem to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve tried using mine as a super slow cruise control while hunting but it was way to slow.

From what I remember you have to be in 4 lo and use the plus and minus gear selector buttons to adjust speed, I tried the cruise buttons and the up and down but they don’t do anything.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this is what he meant ^^

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Yes. I've used it several times. I believe there are certain conditions that must be met for it to be available.

MPDamon

Reaction score
Yes. I've used it several times. I believe there are certain conditions that must be met for it to be available.
yes in the manual I thought I had all the conditions met but maybe the slope wasn't steep enough. I just thought the button would do something when it was pushed and all the requirements the manual says are required are met.

Smon

Reaction score
It doesn't accelerate to the chosen speed, only stops you from exceeding that speed down a hill.

I used it down a steep, rocky, snow/ice covered road and found that I would rather have the control than let the truck do it.

Kdixer

Reaction score
yes in the manual I thought I had all the conditions met but maybe the slope wasn't steep enough. I just thought the button would do something when it was pushed and all the requirements the manual says are required are met.
Like you, I read all the available information (including the manual) and thought I was still missing something. I could not get mine to work at all (4 low, seat belt buckled, truck on steep incline). I finally talked to a friend that has the feature on his Ram and he helped me confirm something was wrong with my brand new truck. If the button is working you should see a message on the screen with some type of confirmation about the system status. It will either indicate the system is active or the system is not available due to the criteria not being met. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new shifter switch assembly. My button was simply dead. Pushing it in any circumstance does not change a thing.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Like you, I read all the available information (including the manual) and thought I was still missing something. I could not get mine to work at all (4 low, seat belt buckled, truck on steep incline). I finally talked to a friend that has the feature on his Ram and he helped me confirm something was wrong with my brand new truck. If the button is working you should see a message on the screen with some type of confirmation about the system status. It will either indicate the system is active or the system is not available due to the criteria not being met. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new shifter switch assembly. My button was simply dead. Pushing it in any circumstance does not change a thing.

I have gotten the "not available" message before. So, I would agree with the above - if you don't get any kind of message, there may be an issue.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I read to this thread this other day and today I had the opportunity to test mine. I had used it once before just to test it out but it has been awhile. Anyway tested it out again today on my steep donkey driveway. Put truck in 4lo and hill descent control activated fine. Wasn't able to adjust speed at first but that was my stupid moment of the day. Have to put the truck back into drive for the gear buttons to adjust speed, lol

MPDamon

Reaction score
First you mean on a steep decline right?

Also what was the result after taking it to the dealer? Does the button now give some kind of message when you push it?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s used in conjunction with cruise control. To not exceed the speed cruise is set at

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You use the cruise control + and - to choose your maximum speed.

You have to use the gear selector + and - for hill assist. Once your at a speed fast enough for cruise to be enabled the hill assist will turn itself off.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right from the owners manual.

Attachments

• 9B0C8644-6AD6-4AF9-AA78-B559813A41C5.png
    9B0C8644-6AD6-4AF9-AA78-B559813A41C5.png
    226.7 KB · Views: 51

Smon

Reaction score
That's right, my bad. Been a few months since I did that. I remember I was clicking any + and - I could find to get it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread