5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Down grade from f-150

Manny1319

Reaction score
New to the forum and new to owning a ram truck. Traded my 2016 eco boost Ford F-150 king ranch fully loaded for a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn with the night package. Reason I say it’s a down grade is because it doesn’t have no where near all the features my king ranch had but I still love the truck so far. I bought the ford used with 6k miles on it and it was nothing but problems, in and out of the dealer numerous times till I had enough of it and trade her in with only 21k on it and took a big hit on it. Hopefully this truck turns out to be good, been reading up a lot on this Forum.
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• 1E749888-23E9-47E0-8B29-5F430998DDEE.jpeg
    1E749888-23E9-47E0-8B29-5F430998DDEE.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 45D6C6D6-6547-4B9C-A0C1-5C9849C458FF.jpeg
    45D6C6D6-6547-4B9C-A0C1-5C9849C458FF.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I'm also a previous F150 owner, now with a RAM. However I didn't have a single issue with my F150, I just get bored every few years and want the best on the market, which is currently the RAM. Though I have been historically a Ford guy, and still consider myself a Ford guy, but with a RAM at the moment.

Makes sense with the lack of equipment on your Big Horn, it's not a high level trim model. A similar trim F150 would be the XLT. If you wanted equal spec RAM, a Laramie Long Horn or Limited would have been closer to your King Ranch.

My RAM has been flawless so far, don't let some of the threads scare you on forums, there are problems as with all vehicles, but if you check out F150 and Silverado forums, they are similar with positive and negative threads.

Manny1319

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I'm also a previous F150 owner, now with a RAM. However I didn't have a single issue with my F150, I just get bored every few years and want the best on the market, which is currently the RAM. Though I have been historically a Ford guy, and still consider myself a Ford guy, but with a RAM at the moment.

Makes sense with the lack of equipment on your Big Horn, it's not a high level trim model. A similar trim F150 would be the XLT. If you wanted equal spec RAM, a Laramie Long Horn or Limited would have been closer to your King Ranch.

My RAM has been flawless so far, don't let some of the threads scare you on forums, there are problems as with all vehicles, but if you check out F150 and Silverado forums, they are similar with positive and negative threads.
Welcome aboard!

yeah I did look at the higher trim levels but With the hit I was taking with the ford it just didn’t make sense but I still happy with it. Can’t wait to make it my own.

rws1944

Reaction score
New to the thread and new to owning a ram truck. Traded my 2016 eco boost Ford F-150 king ranch fully loaded for a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn with the night package. Reason I say it’s a down grade is because it doesn’t have no where near all the features my king ranch had but I still love the truck so far. I bought the ford used with 6k miles on it and it was nothing but problems, in and out of the dealer numerous times till I had enough of it and trade her in with only 21k on it and took a big hit on it. Hopefully this truck turns out to be good, been reading up a lot on this Forum.
Here are some pictures
Welcome to the RAM club. I fail to see how your RAM can be a down grade when you state you had nothing but problems with the Ford and were POed enough to get rid of it and taking a big hit in doing so. Getting rid of a fully loaded truck that doesn't work is a smart thing to do. Enjoy your new toy.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats! Definitely an upgrade with the color you picked out compared to the previous f150 white!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
yeah I did look at the higher trim levels but With the hit I was taking with the ford it just didn’t make sense but I still happy with it. Can’t wait to make it my own.

Absolutely, I've loving my Rebel. I think my 2.7L Ecoboost was actually faster and got a lot better mileage, however the sound produced by my Hemi is something you can replicate with a V6. It creates a sense of occasion that makes ownership very enjoyable.

If you don't have one yet, get a performance muffler to replace that giant oil drum FCA installed on your truck.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Welcome. Hopefully you will have better luck with your Ram. Seems like anything would be an UPgrade from that considering your problems but I know what you mean. At least go get yourself a free $250 to ease your pain and get some mods going.....

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

renzo2213

Reaction score
Congrats on the switch! I was also a ford guy. Bought a Laramie. To me, a fully loaded bighorn is in no way a downgrade. The only thing you can’t get on it that the king ranch would have is leather and cooled seats. Other than that, just the lack of cheap plastic interior is a MASSIVE upgrade to me. Congrats though, beautiful truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ppowell1983

Reaction score
New to the thread and new to owning a ram truck. Traded my 2016 eco boost Ford F-150 king ranch fully loaded for a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn with the night package. Reason I say it’s a down grade is because it doesn’t have no where near all the features my king ranch had but I still love the truck so far. I bought the ford used with 6k miles on it and it was nothing but problems, in and out of the dealer numerous times till I had enough of it and trade her in with only 21k on it and took a big hit on it. Hopefully this truck turns out to be good, been reading up a lot on this Forum.
Here are some pictures

Congrats on your Bighorn. My friend bought a 2015 F150 with the Ecoboost 3.5. He didn’t listen to me and never installed a catch can and only did the oil changes with standard oil every 10k or so. He had problems with burning oil, spark plugs being fouled out at 40k and then at 82k the plugs fouled out again and the 3 cylinder plug fused to the head and required a head replacement. It was out of warranty and Ford denied the goodwill claim for a guy that bought nothing but fords.

What did he do? He traded the truck in for a new F150 with the Ecoboost and financed the 10k negative equity from his old truck. I asked him if he’s installing a catch can now, he said “the owners manual says It’s not needed and Ford would install one if it was needed”.

Sometimes you can’t fix stupid.

Bubba102105

Reaction score
Here are some pictures
Had my 09 FX4 until this year. Ford hadn't changed much in the past 10 years and the Ram Limited just seems leaps and bounds ahead of where Ford is. While I have to admit I've already had more issues with my Ram than the Ford the previous 10 years, I still absolutely love the Ram. Just working out some of the bugs with this new Gen

Manny1319

Reaction score
Yeah I guess it’s not really a downgrade. I was looking around for a while and I finally sat in a ram and instantly fell in love with the interior, it just felt right lol. My ford just had a terrible idle, wind noise on highway from door seals, 4wd was either not working or making a terrible noise when it was working and a lot other minor things. But heat/cooled massaging seats, adaptive cruise control, power running boards and keyless entry are surely missed. Lol.

sixate

Reaction score
I have a 17 F150 XLT that is as loaded as an XLT can be. It's been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned. I leased it with the plan of buying after the lease. But after multiple IWE issues that keep coming back, chattering doors, freezing locks, noisiest enterior of all time, dash that loses power intermittently, and having gone through 4 batteries in just under a year forced me into getting a new Ram. I have the 3.5L, which would be great if it weren't for the timing chain issues I've also had. The 10sp transmission searches too much too.

The F150 will be returned to the dealer in another month. Ia aso got a Big Horn lvl 2 package with 12" display. My Ram rides 100 times smoother, has a far better interior and has had no issues. The Big Horn lvl 2 has quite a few options an XLT F150 doesn't have. Everyone who has been in both trucks agree the Ram is the superior truck. The only thing I'll miss is the 36 gallon tank.

renzo2213

Reaction score
I have a 17 F150 XLT that is as loaded as an XLT can be. It's been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned. I leased it with the plan of buying after the lease. But after multiple IWE issues that keep coming back, chattering doors, freezing locks, noisiest enterior of all time, dash that loses power intermittently, and having gone through 4 batteries in just under a year forced me into getting a new Ram. I have the 3.5L, which would be great if it weren't for the timing chain issues I've also had. The 10sp transmission searches too much too.

The F150 will be returned to the dealer in another month. Ia aso got a Big Horn lvl 2 package with 12" display. My Ram rides 100 times smoother, has a far better interior and has had no issues. The Big Horn lvl 2 has quite a few options an XLT F150 doesn't have. Everyone who has been in both trucks agree the Ram is the superior truck. The only thing I'll miss is the 36 gallon tank.

Got that right! Only thing I miss is the 36 gallon tank. My ram has the 23 gallon tank. I drive 100/day. I live at the gas station

Wheeler

Reaction score
Most brand loyal are not happy with thread title. I had 3 challengers 4 RAMs 1 chrysler 300 in last 10 years. But wife want small good looking Crossover bought her 2019 GMC Acadia Denali. I don't know if I am loyal or just chrysler don't have what we want.
Moving from king ranch to Bighorn is down grade in every way.
Enjoy your ride and sweet memories of your king ranch.
Happy new year.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Absolutely, I've loving my Rebel. I think my 2.7L Ecoboost was actually faster and got a lot better mileage, however the sound produced by my Hemi is something you can replicate with a V6. It creates a sense of occasion that makes ownership very enjoyable.

If you don't have one yet, get a performance muffler to replace that giant oil drum FCA installed on your truck.
I just got out of a 2.7 ecoboost with 3.73 gears... I love everything about the Rebel, but really missed that snappy EcoBoost - until I installed Pedal commander... now the hemi makes me as happy as the Ford did.

Originally I said the same thing as you (F-150 faster)... now I'm not so sure... the Ford had much more immediate response, but the Ram easily had the power - now with PC, it's right now! As it should be.

MPG though, F-150 crushes my Ram.... styling, interior and features - Rebel wins hands down. I hope the gas mileage gets better over time - mid 13s vs high 16 to low 17 is hard to accept.

I love the Rebel - it's more of an "experience".

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My MPG improved about 2 mpg after 5,000 miles. That said the Rebel by design is going to get a little lower mileage being an off road oriented model.

Last edited:

DesertRebel

Reaction score
My MPG improved about 2 mpg after 5,000 miles. That said the Rebel be design is going to get a little lower mileage being an off road oriented model.
Yes, i agree... i don't expect the Ram to get same MPG as 2.7 eco - but I was expecting/hoping 15-16... hopefully I'll eventually gain a couple like you did.

Manny1319

Reaction score
Does anyone know if auto stop/start only come with the etorque. My truck doesn’t have it, and I thought all newer vehicles came with it.
Didn’t want to start a new thread for a simple question and I couldn’t find anything using the search.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Does anyone know if auto stop/start only come with the etorque. My truck doesn’t have it, and I thought all newer vehicles came with it.
Didn’t want to start a new thread for a simple question and I couldn’t find anything using the search.

Only etorque models

Users who are viewing this thread