5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't see many crewcab with 6'4" bed

JoeRam

Reaction score
6'4" bed makes for better stability with towing, as well as allowing longer items to be placed in bed and maintaining the ability to close the tonneau cover.

truck.jpg

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Love my 6'4". I have 4 boys, ride dirt bikes, camp, have a boat, etc. I will use every inch of my 6'4" bed. I live in a smaller town and park in the far parking stalls (as seen here) and the exercise is good for me.

View attachment 7632
Really like that color and ORG and those wheels and running boards. Nice looking truck.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just like the look of the shorter bed, and don't have a need for a longer one anyway (nor I would be able to fit in my garage).
I just carried a bunch of lumber the other day (8' long 2x8s), and it was fine with the tailgate open and ratchet tied to the bed hooks.

Cheers,

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My dad only buys 8' bed trucks for the farm. Thinks its a must have. I don't agree.

I was really wanting to get a 6'4" bed, and was really concerned that a 5'7" bed with ramboxes would be too short after owning my 3rd gen (6'3" i think?)

Anyway, i can say after getting the 5'7" bed that it really has not been a problem at all, especially with the factory bed extender on the rambox and the cheapo hitch mounted bed extender i keep in the rambox.

Anything up to 12' can be hauled with any of the bed lengths. I would recommend hitch mounted bed extender though for 5'7" beds (supports ends of the load and has reflectors) at 12'. 10' is not a problem without it..

Anything over 14' i'd want to haul on a trailer, regardless of the bed length. I hauled 16' several times with my 3rd gen and the hitch mounted bed extender but really wouldn't recommend it. And trailers are cheap.

There have been very, very few times that the 8' bed in my dads trucks where really nice. If you want to haul a fuel tank or toolbox or pull a lot of gooseneck trailers or need the extra cargo then i could see wanting one. But there have been many more times where the worse maneuverability or the worse break over angle have caused issues, so i don't think 8' is worth it (especially not crew cab 8').

To each their own.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
I live in Southeastern VA and found a Crew Cab with 6-4" bed, Black Edition Laramie, and almost all of the options I wanted. It was in New Jersey, I made the deal and he delivered it for only $200, and drove my trade in back. Dealers around here had nothing similar.

Anybody know if the cameras from the Advanced Safety Group option can be dealer-installed?

IMG_0184.jpeg

GoMango16

Reaction score
I live in Southeastern VA and found a Crew Cab with 6-4" bed, Black Edition Laramie, and almost all of the options I wanted. It was in New Jersey, I made the deal and he delivered it for only $200, and drove my trade in back. Dealers around here had nothing similar.

Anybody know if the cameras from the Advanced Safety Group option can be dealer-installed?

View attachment 7651
M y truck has found it's twin!

Attachments

• IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 66

Mike67

Reaction score
If they made the Rambox for the 6'4 that is what we would have special ordered, unfortunately doesn't look like that will be in the 2019

blownout1500

Reaction score
6’4 bed crew cab. Plenty of room for wife, kiddo, 2 dogs, and a whole quiver of surfboards. Love it, even in the city. Parking isn’t really an issue as long as you can avoid tight parking garages. I don’t mind parking in BFE anyway... don’t want anyone too close!

CFCF3DF6-9EE3-45C3-B245-BBCC9C7D8C30.jpeg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I need both capacity, cargo room and passenger room so my next truck will be a 2500 with crew and 8 foot bed(you can look at my other threads to see this dilemma)
20181115_125643.jpg
I couldn't remember which thread we were having this discussion in, but here is a Mega Cab longbed conversion.

Stretchmytruck.com does these conversions. I have definitely thought about doing one.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 8276
I couldn't remember which thread we were having this discussion in, but here is a Mega Cab longbed conversion.

Stretchmytruck.com does these conversions. I have definitely thought about doing one.
Now that is a nice truck. A guy here at the local feed store has a 2012 mega cab 2500 stretch 8’ conversion. It is also lifted with I believe 37’s. It’s a lot of truck!

Jaysond

Reaction score
View attachment 8276

Holy buckets. I should put a copy of that picture up someplace I can see it & look at it every day, so when I get my future crew cab / 8' box, it will look shorter than this!

RAMROME

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 bighorn CC and didnt realize it was a 6 foot box till i got it home. Blacked out model. lol . Off lot and had everything I wanted., LED lights, seats , running brds, color, But I think i would have preferred the short bed, maybe I just have to get used to it. I do put large stuff in bed like motorcycle and snowmobiles which seems would be a squeeze in 5 foot box.

geotex1

Reaction score
Only choice for me is the 6'-4" bed because my 1500 is my daily do-all driver. Tailgate down and AMP Bed Xtender means 8 foot sheets with ease. I have dually crew long bed too, so the size of the 1500 no real concern to me. The popularity of the short bed is fundamentally just because it's length will fit in a standard garage, which has a depth of 20 ft, and the standard bed will not.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Only choice for me is the 6'-4" bed because my 1500 is my daily do-all driver. Tailgate down and AMP Bed Xtender means 8 foot sheets with ease. I have dually crew long bed too, so the size of the 1500 no real concern to me. The popularity of the short bed is fundamentally just because it's length will fit in a standard garage, which has a depth of 20 ft, and the standard bed will not.
Agreed and I think many more here would have purchased their truck with the 6' 4" bed had it came with the rambox or available on the lot.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
So are they not making the 6'4 bed with ramboxes? I thought i read an article from back in august saying they were to be produced in the fall. Figured they were just a few months behind. But i cannot find any info about them coming available anytime soon.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I find the ramboxes interesting, a topper fits my needs much better and would make the boxes unusable. <shrug>

16RamHemi

Reaction score
They fit me perfectly. Stash groceries, equipment bags etc. But the 5'7 box is way too small. Cannot fit all my camping gear in there. Ram making the crew 4" longer is a game changer too. With 2 small children, i was looking at a mega cab. More $ and a much bigger truck. Much easier driving a half ton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/