5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't see many crewcab with 6'4" bed

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Just wondering why so few chose crewcab with the 'normal' bed. Parking issue?

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What’s considered a “ normal “ bed size please ?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very happy that the dealer found a 6'4" bed for me....

Parking is the likely culprit... that extra length can cause problems for most folk, I normally park at the far end of the lot anyway.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Very happy that the dealer found a 6'4" bed for me....

Parking is the likely culprit... that extra length can cause problems for most folk, I normally park at the far end of the lot anyway.
Do you have a crewcab? I do see a lot of quadcab with the 6'4 bed.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I have the crew cab with 6'4" bed it a lot of truck sticks out in most parking spots. with trailer hitch installed it wont fit in my garage unless i remove some shelving on wall in front. my 15 just barley fit i think the 19 is bigger they added the four inches for rear seat somewhere.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I tried to order the 6’4” bed. It was available the week before my order then removed when I ordered and returned when my truck was in DT status. I guess I missed out. Lol

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
The regular bed was a “Must Have” for mine.

I could not find a Crew Cab Lonestar here in Texas with the 6’4” box, thus causing me to Custom Order.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Noramal bed was a little to long for me especially since the 2019 crew cab is already four inches longer. Won't fit in my garage.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
The Noramal bed was a little to long for me especially since the 2019 crew cab is already four inches longer. Won't fit in my garage.
I almost pulled the trigger on a shortbed... but, once I put a bed tool box on it, i feel That I am not left with much room.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think many truck owners use their trucks as “trucks” daily, mostly daily drivers and it’s developed into a trend. My neighbor told me he must have an 8’ bed so he can carry drywall and studs. I asked, how often do you do that? (I knew the answer). His answer, once in the last 5 years. He tempered his needs and bought a Ford with a 6’ bed a few months ago. Since, he has commented about the truck being a little long, making driving and parking a little less convenient.

I get that we are “men” and have to have the capability to do anything but if that “anything” happens to never happen, the only thing that really happened is you spent more money and lived with frustration daily.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in the day the 8’ bed was standard because the vast majority of people who bought trucks used them as trucks. Nowadays, the pickup is a family ‘suv’ for the most part and people need to maneuver and park them in city situations, therefore, the smaller the bed the better since it is not used much for the most part. I would have a 8’ bed on my crew cab if it were available, since it is not then 6’4 bed it is.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
F 150 with 6' bed has two piece drive shaft. Is it the same for the Ram with the 6' 4" bed?

Jaysond

Reaction score
I found it funny, when dealing with the dealership, their term “Regular Bed” was the 5’7”.

Had to explain for us “Old Guys”

Short Bed: 5’7” (5’8”)
Regular Bed: 6’4” (6’5”)
Long Bed: 8’

Funny how things have changed as pickups have become family car replacements, mostly because "family cars" are tiny econo box / go carts that look and function like they were designed for high school girls. The lack of ground clearance is awful, no way they are going through any snow out here in the country in the winter. We are more/less forced out of them for practicality reasons.

For us "old guys" (56):

Regular box = 8'
short box = 6.5'
??? = 5'7"

This was the case until the late 90's / early 2000's I believe, don't think there even was such a thing as a 5'7" box until 15 years ago or so? I think the trunk in my parents '67 Chrysler had about the same amount of floor space as a little 5'7" box. Today's short box pickup is more/less a direct replacement for the full size cars of the 60's and 70's in my opinion, except today's pickups have a bit more ground clearance, 4x4, and can tow more. Horsepower is similar, cabin width is similar.

Last edited:

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I wanted a 6'4" bed, but with a ram box, which isn't available yet... So 5'7" with the ramboxes for now.

I think of 8' as standard, and 10' as long;)

Agitated

Reaction score
To me a 5'7" bed is worthless on a truck. But I actually use mine for truck stuff like hauling and towing. I'd prefer the 8' bed but that really limits options as we all know. Funny thing is that obviously the vast majority of people buy the 5.5' bed in all makes, because it's pretty rare to find a longer bed on a dealer lot. Every salesman I spoke with said we have to order that, nobody wants the longer bed. I also like the stability of the longer wheelbase, even though it costs turning radius.

Users who are viewing this thread