5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't see many crewcab with 6'4" bed

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also wanted the longer bed, when I did my initial search I didn't find any at all. The dealer I went with actually had his guy find me the 6'4" bed...and it was a dealer who never answered my initial email inquiry.

We take lots of camping trips and the longer bed is must... my old 2005 Dakota had a 5ft bed, this thing is palatial! As far as turning radius, it is only 2ft bigger than the Dakota. I just plan ahead to where I park and it isn't an issue.

alow

Reaction score
I have the CC 6'4 bed and it was one of the things that helped me decide to custom order. Its a bit of a beast in a tight parking lot but I don't mind walking from the far stalls anyways. To me the 6'4 is a perfect bed length. I've hauled furniture and equipment and found that alot of stuff barely fits in a 6'4 so I can't imagine trying to squeeze into something shorter. In fairness I leave my truck out front so if you garage I certainly understand the short bed if you don't put stuff in the back.

maroneyaz

Reaction score
I have a CC with the 6’-4” bed. That was a requirement for me so I could fit dirt bikes in with the tailgate closed. It also lets me sleep in the bed when camping. Of the 300+ truck in the phoenix area I found 2 CC with the standard bed. There were options I would have liked but not enough to give up the extra 10”.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being old school (62) the actual normal size trucks were 8 foot bed with three people in front only or two large persons in front with some very small storage behind the seats. Had to stay with 3/4 ton 8 foot beds to tow about 12000 lbs tops! The old Dodge crew cabs back in the 60's and 70's were also 3/4 ton and most folks who used them was utility or construction companies.

Then new trucks on the block in the late 70's early 80's was 1/2 trucks but could only tow about 5500 lbs and 1/2 ton trucks back then came out usually with the short 6 foot beds not 8 Foot. The mid size trucks became popular Ranger,S-10 Etc but priced way too high for what you got along in the mid 80's or so!

Today the 1/2 ton short-beds 6 feet or 5.7 feet are easy to park easy on fuel with all kinds of room with 4 doors and can tow 10 or 11k with ease or more. So hook up a trailer when needed and pull away what ever you want not needing 3/4 tons most of the times! Funny how all that has changed....But the Trucks today are just awesome and glad I could be around and afford to own them for the last 20 plus years! Now they are not making a single cab 8 foot nothing any more for the most part. I think Ram no longer has a single cab truck in Production. I really like my 5.7 and had the 6.0 quad cabs for 10 or 15 Years.:)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think Ram no longer has a single cab truck in Production.
Ram has the 2019 Classic in production just for this reason, in both Regular Cab 8 foot and 6'4
And of course the HD is Regular Cab 8 foot bed...and you can still get a manual transmission and a clutch pedal in a Ram HD mated to a Cummins.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a crewcab? I do see a lot of quadcab with the 6'4 bed.
Quad cab only Comes with 6'4 bed...as does the Regular cab still being produced as the Classic.

The real kicker is I bought a bed cover for our 2013, but it won't fit my 1999, it is a 6'6 bed. And we have a topper for our 2003, but can't use it on the 1999 either. 2002 first year for 6'4 bed.
1998 was the first year for quad cab, all 3rd gens are quad cab.
2009 is the first year for a Crew Cab and the 5'7 bed and he crew originally wasn't offered with 6'4

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quad cab only Comes with 6'4 bed...as does the Regular cab still being produced as the Classic.

The real kicker is I bought a bed cover for our 2013, but it won't fit my 1999, it is a 6'6 bed. And we have a topper for our 2003, but can't use it on the 1999 either. 2002 first year for 6'4 bed.
1998 was the first year for quad cab, all 3rd gens are quad cab.
2009 is the first year for a Crew Cab and the 5'7 bed and he crew originally wasn't offered with 6'4

Its shame all the configurations were not designed with older accessories in use. My retrax Cover 5.7 bed on the 14 crew would not fit the 19 5.7 crew either....had to go buy another retrax!

Jaysond

Reaction score
Do you realize that Ram doesn't even offer a pickup with a quad cab / 8' box? That's a shame, it'd be the perfect combination for me. Long box that would haul 4x8 sheets would be very nice, and a quad cab with room in the back seat for some items (tools, etc.). An 8' Ram box would be icing on the cake! The 8' box comes with regular cab, with not enough storage in the cab for my liking, or with crew cab (HD only), making it just too long for maneuverability in typical parking lots. Quad cab / 8' box would still be long, but not as difficult to live with as a crew cab / 8' box. They already make quad cabs and 8' boxes, putting that combo together would no doubt be appreciated by many who have to haul 8' sheets and 8' lumber on a regular basis.

Chevy does quad cab / 8' box (in their HD's), would hate to have to buy one of those after switching to Ram though!

I have to keep my Express van around just to haul full sheets & tools when the need comes up. An 8' box with Ram box would eliminate the van completely for me, would be a huge help!

wirles

Reaction score
My 5'7" bed handles most trips to Lowes and Home Depot. A bed extender handles the occasional longer item. But if you really need an 8' bed. My truck will tow just about any trailer I would need to pull. And I can get the trailer 8' or 10'.....;)

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I got the cc with the 6' 4" bed because I didn't want my occational longer loads from Home Depot to hang out so far beyond the open tailgate. Also, I thought it looked more proportional with the additional cab length.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 6'4 bed with the tailgate down holds a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The quad cab long bed died in 2009, 2008 for 1500.

No one buys them enough to make the different frame. And crew cabs are too popular in 2500 to worry about it

Unfortunately that is the place we are as pickups have become station wagons and hardly get used as trucks...and I have to agree with the others here...the trailer companies have come along to help with any of this issue.

79 300

Reaction score
The dealers in southeast PA might have 2 or 3 6'4" bed crew cabs in stock verses around 20 5'7" on their lot. they are around, but pretty rare.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you realize that Ram doesn't even offer a pickup with a quad cab / 8' box? That's a shame, it'd be the perfect combination for me. Long box that would haul 4x8 sheets would be very nice, and a quad cab with room in the back seat for some items (tools, etc.). An 8' Ram box would be icing on the cake! The 8' box comes with regular cab, with not enough storage in the cab for my liking, or with crew cab (HD only), making it just too long for maneuverability in typical parking lots. Quad cab / 8' box would still be long, but not as difficult to live with as a crew cab / 8' box. They already make quad cabs and 8' boxes, putting that combo together would no doubt be appreciated by many who have to haul 8' sheets and 8' lumber on a regular basis.

Chevy does quad cab / 8' box (in their HD's), would hate to have to buy one of those after switching to Ram though!

I have to keep my Express van around just to haul full sheets & tools when the need comes up. An 8' box with Ram box would eliminate the van completely for me, would be a huge help!

No I never realized the 8 foot would not be in the quads. It would make sense they would,perhaps you should start a thread to see how many people would like an 8 Foot Quad and if results are fair numbers send to the FCA Customer care on here for a suggestion to them. It cannot hurt. I had thought they had 8 Foot and see where the production of them stopped awhile back. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
The dealers in southeast PA might have 2 or 3 6'4" bed crew cabs in stock verses around 20 5'7" on their lot. they are around, but pretty rare.
My dealership couldn’t find a Lonestar Crew Cab with the 6’4” to dealer trade with Throughout the state

I’ll feel pretty good being one of the few out there.

Jaysond

Reaction score
The 6'4 bed with the tailgate down holds a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The quad cab long bed died in 2009, 2008 for 1500.

No one buys them enough to make the different frame. And crew cabs are too popular in 2500 to worry about it

Unfortunately that is the place we are as pickups have become station wagons and hardly get used as trucks...and I have to agree with the others here...the trailer have come along to help with any of this issue.

Thanks for the info on quad cab / long bed trucks being eliminated about 10 yrs ago, I thought they used to have such a thing. Must not have sold well enough.

Yeah I'm aware of trailers, I've been a general contractor for 27 yrs now. I have a 14' dump box trailer and a 12' enclosed trailer. Unfortunately, when on the road all day / every day, pulling around a trailer in case you might need to haul something unexpectedly, getting in and out of tight job sites with narrow roads & a dozen vehicles already parked everywhere possible, working around mud, trees, other obstacles... pulling a trailer does not work well. Leaving the tailgate open & strapping things down might be a solution for homeowners to haul occasional long things on nice days on paved roads, but not a preferred method of doing things, many building materials are destroyed if exposed to the elements found at the back of a pickup with it's tailgate down.

Just sayin', some of us would appreciate a quad cab / 8' box with Ram box, in case anyone from Ram is monitoring. A 2500 version would be fine, GM and Ford both offer an HD quad cab / 8' box, giving customers the utility of the long box with a smaller back seat for the many important things that find their way back there during a normal work day, without having to go to a scary long crew cab / 8' box truck that I hear is very difficult to maneuver in some necessary places (parking lots, for example). Love my new Ram so much that going back to a GM or even worse, moving to a Ford, is not very appealing!

I'm making a 6'4" box work, using my van and sometimes a trailer fills in the blanks when needed, but since we're talking about the various combinations out there & what would be ideal, I'm just casting one vote for an 8' box / quad cab Ram. :)

This thought probably belongs in an HD forum somewhere, probably not applicable or relatable to those using these as family cars.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on quad cab / long bed trucks being eliminated about 10 yrs ago, I thought they used to have such a thing. Must not have sold well enough.

Yeah I'm aware of trailers, I've been a general contractor for 27 yrs now. I have a 14' dump box trailer and a 12' enclosed trailer. Unfortunately, when on the road all day / every day, pulling around a trailer in case you might need to haul something unexpectedly, getting in and out of tight job sites with narrow roads & a dozen vehicles already parked everywhere possible, working around mud, trees, other obstacles... pulling a trailer does not work well. Leaving the tailgate open & strapping things down might be a solution for homeowners to haul occasional long things on nice days on paved roads, but not a preferred method of doing things, many building materials are destroyed if exposed to the elements found at the back of a pickup with it's tailgate down.

Just sayin', some of us would appreciate a quad cab / 8' box with Ram box, in case anyone from Ram is monitoring. A 2500 version would be fine, GM and Ford both offer an HD quad cab / 8' box, giving customers the utility of the long box with a smaller back seat for the many important things that find their way back there during a normal work day, without having to go to a scary long crew cab / 8' box truck that I hear is very difficult to maneuver in some necessary places (parking lots, for example). Love my new Ram so much that going back to a GM or even worse, moving to a Ford, is not very appealing!

I'm making a 6'4" box work, using my van and sometimes a trailer fills in the blanks when needed, but since we're talking about the various combinations out there & what would be ideal, I'm just casting one vote for an 8' box / quad cab Ram. :)

This thought probably belongs in an HD forum somewhere, probably not applicable or relatable to those using these as family cars.
Your not the only one who wants a 8 foot bed 1500 with quad or crew cab...but unfortunately there are very few that need this capacity that don't also need the capacity of a 2500.

I need both capacity, cargo room and passenger room so my next truck will be a 2500 with crew and 8 foot bed(you can look at my other threads to see this dilemma)

But man I would ssure like to just have a 1500, nah, not really, but I keep trying to convince myself

Lots of guys at allpar keep saying the same thing about work trucks and midsize trucks...but ultimately luxuary trucks sell and they pay the bills.

My comment about trailers wasn't to say you should have to use them, just that the trailer companies are probably glad to see the long bed truck take a hit.

nblack300

Reaction score
Love my 6'4". I have 4 boys, ride dirt bikes, camp, have a boat, etc. I will use every inch of my 6'4" bed. I live in a smaller town and park in the far parking stalls (as seen here) and the exercise is good for me.

RAM.jpg

warvet

Reaction score
There are a million trucks in my neighborhood and I see them hauling stuff every blue moon and usually it's not items that require a longer bed .....I special ordered mine and had no desire or need for the longer bed. As someone else stated, many truck owners want the huge interior along with a bed for the occasional hauling. My bed is more of a covered trunk. Most people, I know, want a bed for the beach, vacation, going to grandma's with the grandkids (luggage) type of thing.

The most work my bed has seen since owning the truck in July is moving my daughter back to college and the only issue I had was the fact that I have a flush mount tri fold instead of the higher fiberglass cover I used to have on my GMC.

But I can see why some would want the longer bed...those who use it regularly and for large items. Having said that, I work with a lot people who use theirs all the time for hauling, camping, all terrain toys, pulling campers, etc ......and most of them have the smaller bed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread