5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dog's not happy - I'm confused.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the ANC humming noise problem in our new truck....it was annoying and was fixed with a download after fighting the dealer for awhile. We travel with two dogs.....they didn't seem to mind the humming noise and they don't seem to mind that it's been fixed.....they love riding in the truck.....so do we now that we don't get a hum at 1100 rpms anymore. It's gotta be something in the sound system if they don't mind riding in other vehicles. Good luck.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your dog will let you, you could try putting some ear plugs in to see if that changes her disposition. Then at least you might have some idea if it's sound related or not. Check with your vet but they do have dog earplugs.

pitboss000

Reaction score
how's the door alignment in the back? if it's not spot on and sealing 100% then a nasty whistle at speed is possible. if you can, have someone sit in the back and pull on the door while driving to try and keep it "extra" closed and see if it helps the dog.

check the cab to bed noise suppression strip. if you look down from above and see road between the cab and bed of the truck, you are missing a strip of rubber that cuts down on whistling in the cab.

the cab rear air vent to outside is center below the window and if that strip isn't there, road noise from below and air currents can cause whistling and increased presence of exhaust/engine noise in the back.
Doors seem fine, and though I bought the cab seal - it's not installed yet. Good suggestions, but she acts up as soon as the truck is started.

pitboss000

Reaction score
I had the ANC humming noise problem in our new truck....it was annoying and was fixed with a download after fighting the dealer for awhile. We travel with two dogs.....they didn't seem to mind the humming noise and they don't seem to mind that it's been fixed.....they love riding in the truck.....so do we now that we don't get a hum at 1100 rpms anymore. It's gotta be something in the sound system if they don't mind riding in other vehicles. Good luck.
I'll check for an update next trip to the dealer. Thanks for the suggestion. As for other vehicles, I only have my last 16 to compare to. We don't go anywhere with anyone else.

pitboss000

Reaction score
If your dog will let you, you could try putting some ear plugs in to see if that changes her disposition. Then at least you might have some idea if it's sound related or not. Check with your vet but they do have dog earplugs.
Great idea. Definitely look into this as a solution if I can't find the real problem.

derp

Reaction score
Doors seem fine, and though I bought the cab seal - it's not installed yet. Good suggestions, but she acts up as soon as the truck is started.
It may be conditioning at this point. it will be hard to tell if you have fixed the problem right away unless you can have someone in the back coaching and giving active support. another way to try at this could be to get in the truck with the dog once a day, ignition full off. just hang out and be cool with the dog, give treats, do something the dog likes to get over the digging in anxiety against entering the truck.

then keep up the same routine on the truck (after installing that strip for bed to cab) and start the truck. don't go anywhere, just hang out and be cool.

Move on to low speed neighborhood driving if you get the dog comfortable with running idle. avoid more than 25-30mph to keep any seal noises to the least possible wind loading.

If that works out, move up to in town driving with all windows ajar enough to prevent the buffeting and keep air circulating. most dogs love the smells and travel fresh air.

My point is basically try to break down the problem and the retraining into as small of bits as you can. know that even if you have fixed the problem you will still have work to do.

If this doesn't work out, I'm the kind of guy who would buy a second, limited use vehicle for the dog needs because my dog is my family. if you can bear the expense, a trade out may be what is called for. you would be surprised what the difference a new color or smell of a truck will do to break the anxiety and possibly even fix the root issue that you were having (though then you get into the whole pile of new vehicle issues unrelated).

Seriously, good luck. I'm hoping that you get this sorted for your pet and family's comfort and happiness.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll check for an update next trip to the dealer. Thanks for the suggestion. As for other vehicles, I only have my last 16 to compare to. We don't go anywhere with anyone else.

Check out post 197 in this thread....this is what solved my humming noise problem. The dealer wanted to replace a door speaker....I told them it would not solve issue....after much discussion....they did the downloads. Good luck.

pitboss000

Reaction score
Check out post 197 in this thread....this is what solved my humming noise problem. The dealer wanted to replace a door speaker....I told them it would not solve issue....after much discussion....they did the downloads. Good luck.
Interesting read, thanks. I'll print that out and take it in when I go.

pitboss000

Reaction score
It may be conditioning at this point. it will be hard to tell if you have fixed the problem right away unless you can have someone in the back coaching and giving active support. another way to try at this could be to get in the truck with the dog once a day, ignition full off. just hang out and be cool with the dog, give treats, do something the dog likes to get over the digging in anxiety against entering the truck.

then keep up the same routine on the truck (after installing that strip for bed to cab) and start the truck. don't go anywhere, just hang out and be cool.

Move on to low speed neighborhood driving if you get the dog comfortable with running idle. avoid more than 25-30mph to keep any seal noises to the least possible wind loading.

If that works out, move up to in town driving with all windows ajar enough to prevent the buffeting and keep air circulating. most dogs love the smells and travel fresh air.

My point is basically try to break down the problem and the retraining into as small of bits as you can. know that even if you have fixed the problem you will still have work to do.

If this doesn't work out, I'm the kind of guy who would buy a second, limited use vehicle for the dog needs because my dog is my family. if you can bear the expense, a trade out may be what is called for. you would be surprised what the difference a new color or smell of a truck will do to break the anxiety and possibly even fix the root issue that you were having (though then you get into the whole pile of new vehicle issues unrelated).

Seriously, good luck. I'm hoping that you get this sorted for your pet and family's comfort and happiness.
I hear you - she's definitely family! May need to go through all this babysitting after I find the issue. I'd go so far as to replace the muffler if it is the cause but another vehicle? Have to chew on that for a while. Just like to get her back to this state of mind from my 16.
20180602_090453.jpg

jkm312

Reaction score
I hear you - she's definitely family! May need to go through all this babysitting after I find the issue. I'd go so far as to replace the muffler if it is the cause but another vehicle? Have to chew on that for a while. Just like to get her back to this state of mind from my 16.
View attachment 47020
Now it's perfectly obvious.
She's ready to sit in your lap and steer, honk the horn, flash the lights, turn the wipers on/off, and fiddle with the radio.
Girl's got people to see and places to go and strut around in her new truck!

There IS a reason for her discomfort. There are several computer controls in these trucks, the higher trim level the more computers and software. It's all intertwined together to operate the truck. I would have them all checked to see if they are all up to date. The ANC may be right, but another part that is connected to the ANC may not be right.

I had a question about the AC in mine. Hooked up the scanner to the port under the dash and updated 14 out of 16 points on mine. Hard to believe we actually used to touch them with a wrench to solve a problem. Mine was always smooth operating, but got a little more refined that day.

Good looking pup, ears and head up, eyes forward, relaxed face. Go anywhere with you. Doesn't get any better than that.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I a nutshell, my Parson Russel is afraid of my truck. She always loved riding in my 2016 Laramie. Went everywhere, and owned the backseat. Not true of the 2019. Slowly over the last year since purchasing the truck she has become less and less interested in going anywhere with me. Started off no problem initially but noticed she was far less active. A little window hopping but then just lay down an be still when the truck was moving. Then over time she stopped moving all together. About 2 months ago she began burying her head under either front seat or get as far as she could press herself into corners under the rear seat - and start whining. Now I have to force her into the truck just to go to the vet or groomer.

I had been following the ANC delete threads and thought this may be the culprit. Installed one 6 weeks ago but it has made no difference. Any other dog owners have this issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi pitboss000,

I am so sorry to hear of this situation. This is not the experience we expect for our loyal customers or our furry friends. Would you mind following up with me via PM to provide further details? I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for an additional layer of support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Narg

Reaction score
Dogs hate change. She'll get used to it eventually.

Hardlivin'

Reaction score

I'd agree that even if you fix the cause there will be some conditioning to overcome. If she's food motivated, using treats and/or feeding her inside the truck will help calm her fears. She'll start to associate the truck with pleasant thoughts. While you are trying to track down what might have caused it, I'd slowly try to get her to think positive. Sit in the back with her with doors open, bringing her fav toy or blanket, etc. I foster dogs and never had this issue with any of them, so it's an odd one

rzims

Reaction score
My dog is also scared when in the Ram. In the grand Cherokee I had previously she loved taking trips.
She still jumps up in there when I tell her too, but she's definitely not happy...even starts shaking once we're under way.
She's never gone to the vet in this...only to the trailhead or up to the property.
Was wondering if that back seat is too narrow....thinking of building a carpeted platform to see if that helps....

Last edited:

pitboss000

Reaction score
My dog is also scared when in the Ram. In the grand Cherokee I had previously she loved taking trips.
She still jumps up in there when I tell her too, but she's definitely not happy...even starts shaking once we're under way.
She's never gone to the vet in this...only to the trailhead or up to the property.
Was wondering if that back seat is too narrow....thinking of building a carpeted platform to see if that helps....
I hit the dealer a week ago for an update to the ANC, but it made no difference with the dog. If you don't mind I will forward this to Linda at Ram Care. She has been working with me on this. Super nice lady, and she may reach out to you. They actually closed the case yesterday since they have no other documented cases, but this should reopen it.

rzims

Reaction score
I hit the dealer a week ago for an update to the ANC, but it made no difference with the dog. If you don't mind I will forward this to Linda at Ram Care. She has been working with me on this. Super nice lady, and she may reach out to you. They actually closed the case yesterday since they have no other documented cases, but this should reopen it.
No problem. Just finished a platform to see if that helps. Going for a ride now to test

Attachments

• 20200308_110156.jpg
    20200308_110156.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 106

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Might have something to do with an intake noise. Try to change the sound it makes by opening up the filter housing and remove the filter to see if your dog reacts the same when you start the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread