5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Laramie 20' wheel chrome plastic wheel insert come off??

Mactara

Reaction score
Clear... i put it on the insert and also the face of the rim where it seats, to ensure it bonded properly... its a tight fit, so they aren't going anywhere. These will be my summer rims so not worried about ice snow etc.

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
They look great I just received a set with some falken wildpeak at-3 tires now I want to paint them as well and thinking matte or gloss black or vica versa

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
Clear... i put it on the insert and also the face of the rim where it seats, to ensure it bonded properly... its a tight fit, so they aren't going anywhere. These will be my summer rims so not worried about ice snow etc.
What color is the outside?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Final product... just need to mount the tires... thoughts?

Sheesh those look great, sort of regret selling mine now. That said, I don’t want to minimize the work and cost that went into making those chrome wheels black.

Nice work! Glad to see someone do this successfully

Triton63

Reaction score
I saw this thread a little while back and really like the way those Laramie wheels look in black. So I bought a set to do the same thing. I had the plastic almost melting with a heat gun and the inserts would not come off. Guess I’m going to try and paint the rims with the inserts on.

Grouper

Reaction score
I saw this thread a little while back and really like the way those Laramie wheels look in black. So I bought a set to do the same thing. I had the plastic almost melting with a heat gun and the inserts would not come off. Guess I’m going to try and paint the rims with the inserts on.
I would think it would be more effective to "saw" behind the inserts with fishing line attached to two short pieces of wooden dowl.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad I found this, I was about to start a new thread on this. I want to remove the chrome inserts and paint them gunmetal or silver to minimize the chrome on my truck.

DreamWarrior350

Reaction score
The rim is a powdercoated gloss black and the inserts were colour matched painted to the trucks original colour but in a matte finish for some contrast.
Those look awesome. I was wondering...how did the wheels look after the powder coating, but before you reinstalled the inserts? Did you consider just leaving off the inserts?

Mactara

Reaction score
Those look awesome. I was wondering...how did the wheels look after the powder coating, but before you reinstalled the inserts? Did you consider just leaving off the inserts?
It didn't look right without the inserts... something was missing. I painted the inserts the matching body colour, except a matte finish... which contrasted the gloss black powder coat.

Mactara

Reaction score
I used a PL premium glue... silicone was going to be able to handle the elements and I didn't wanna risk losing one due to inadequate adhesion.

Bigbou

Reaction score
I used a PL premium glue... silicone was going to be able to handle the elements and I didn't wanna risk losing one due to inadequate adhesion.
Dumb question but why did you need to take the inserts out to powder coat? Could you not do them while attached? Going to do the same thing and trying to figure out if I can just bring to a shop as is.

Users who are viewing this thread