5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Laramie 20' wheel chrome plastic wheel insert come off??

mlogdog

Reaction score
Anybody get these inserts out yet to see for sure whats holding them on??

Jonwiggle

Reaction score
Has anyone else painted these rims? With or without the chrome piece on. Looking for ideas. I love the look of the rim, just not the chrome piece.

Lumberjack627

Reaction score
The chrome piece definitely comes off. I have to get something durable to put in between the chrome piece and rim and I’ll get it off with a small flat head.

Mactara

Reaction score
I was able to pry the inserts off with a little heat from the back end and some plastic trim removal tools... do not use a screw driver as it will damage the inserts. Looks like they are siliconed in place.

I'm gonna be powdercoating them gloss black and painting or wrapping the inserts matte black. Will post a pic once done.

Attachments

• 622492625.jpg
    622492625.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 351

bjarnold79

Reaction score
I was wanting to do the same thing with mine and then I came across these on eBay (wanting way too much). It looks like they removed the inserts and painted/powder coated them and did not replace the inserts. I am waiting on a response as to how they got the inserts off.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 345

Grouper

Reaction score
I was wanting to do the same thing with mine and then I came across these on eBay (wanting way too much). It looks like they removed the inserts and painted/powder coated them and did not replace the inserts. I am waiting on a response as to how they got the inserts off.
I think those could be factory finished wheels from one of the newer packages.

EDIT: On closer look, you're probably right. It does look like the inserts were removed.

The new Limited Black has this dark version of a wheel that already exists elsewhere in the lineup with a different finish.

ram-1500-limited-black-edition-2020-10-black--exterior--wheel.jpeg

Last edited:

Mactara

Reaction score
Screenshot_20201001-163956_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20201001-164015_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20201001-163956_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20201001-164015_WhatsApp.jpg painted the inserts a colour matched matte black (paint code PM7). Will show all together once rims are finished being powder coated (gloss black)

Mactara

Reaction score
Looks great! You reattached the inserts with silicone?
Still trying to figure it out... originally was gonna use a 3m adhesive, but not strong enough. Might use silicone or a P/L Premium product

Grouper

Reaction score
Still trying to figure it out... originally was gonna use a 3m adhesive, but not strong enough. Might use silicone or a P/L Premium product
Just my opinion but I wouldn't use construction adhesive for two reasons; It's way too permanent and any squeeze-out will look horrible.

Personally, I'd use clear or black 100% silicone. Apply it directly to the inserts and then place them on the wheel. If there is any squeeze-out, don't touch it until you spray the area completely with aerosol window cleaner and then wipe off the squeeze-out with your finger. It'll clean up perfectly.

Mactara

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I wouldn't use construction adhesive for two reasons; It's way too permanent and any squeeze-out will look horrible.

Personally, I'd use clear or black 100% silicone. Apply it directly to the inserts and then place them on the wheel. If there is any squeeze-out, don't touch it until you spray the area completely with aerosol window cleaner and then wipe off the squeeze-out with your finger. It'll clean up perfectly.
Been doing research and JB Weld has been recommended often as an alternative to silicone. Reading that an epoxy glue is better on something thats stronger for wheels/rims.

Mother

Reaction score
I would think a few pieces of 3m molding tape on each insert would do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread