5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Laramie 20' wheel chrome plastic wheel insert come off??

rraulston

Reaction score
Thought about painting the wheels, but need to remove the oval plastic chrome inserts on my wheels...thanks

Attachments

• 5005.jpg
    5005.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 501

Sinister.Ram

Reaction score
As far as I’ve hear the wheel will be damaged to removal
Damn that’s a bummer I talked to a Wheel exchange company near me and they said that if I were to exchange my wheels for black in color ones that I would keep my inserts and transfer them to a new wheel that’s why I was wondering if they maybe popped off or what the procedure was for removal.

cjcollas

Reaction score
Bumping in hopes someone has an answer. Just picked up a 1500 with these wheels and would prefer to remove the chrome.

rraulston

Reaction score
Can’t remember the website but I saw someone selling these.
View attachment 49811
That's why I think they come off. I used a flashlight and magnifying glass and am pretty sure they are glued on. There are no fasteners in the back...If you come across this website again, please let me know. My local chrome shop can re-chrome the plastic black chrome...

Amazing93

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. My local wheel shop will powdercoat my wheels for 346 but the chrome needs to come off. Anyone have any ideas yet?

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aside from prying bits of plastic off, your best bet is to heat them up to melt the adhesive. No idea what temp that would require, but you’d need a big oven to do it.

CottonCrisps

Reaction score
Here's the site that I found selling the wheels pictured above. Quite expensive if you ask me though.

EDIT: I'm considering aftermarket wheels or a repaint as well, I have the stock Laramie Sport wheels also.

Badmonkey

Reaction score
Here's the site that I found selling the wheels pictured above. Quite expensive if you ask me though.

EDIT: I'm considering aftermarket wheels or a repaint as well, I have the stock Laramie Sport wheels also.

Yea that guy you mentioned had these wheels a while back, I posted a picture there of them. They show our wheels without the insert.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-chrome-from-laramie-wheel.19109/#post-273652
I may end up pulling them off a wheel. I talked with them through email, he said they use an adhesive to bond to the wheel. So I am going to heat them and pull them. Maybe. Unless there is someone out there looking to trade for these wheels. I am not in love with them, but like them enough. I will pull them from one wheel, if it looks bad, I will just buy once wheel to replace it. Its a gamble, but wouldn't be my first mod to a vehicle that was questionable from the start.

CottonCrisps

Reaction score
Yea that guy you mentioned had these wheels a while back, I posted a picture there of them. They show our wheels without the insert.
https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-chrome-from-laramie-wheel.19109/#post-273652
I may end up pulling them off a wheel. I talked with them through email, he said they use an adhesive to bond to the wheel. So I am going to heat them and pull them. Maybe. Unless there is someone out there looking to trade for these wheels. I am not in love with them, but like them enough. I will pull them from one wheel, if it looks bad, I will just buy once wheel to replace it. Its a gamble, but wouldn't be my first mod to a vehicle that was questionable from the start.

If you end up taking them off, please post a picture. If it looks good I'll consider it too!

rraulston

Reaction score
My local chrome shop said they could remove the chrome from the plastic inserts then I could paint them. Some places can even do black chrome. I just cant afford to be the test mule and break it.....you would never find a replacement piece....

Slumlord

Reaction score

Any luck removing one of those plastic inserts?

Checkmate251

Reaction score
There are no screws on the back? My 2016 limited with chrome inserts have screws that hold them on. After you take the wheels off there are little recessed openings with screws in them on the back!
I know mine is a 4th gen, but you wouldn’t have changed them from that!

Badmonkey

Reaction score
No have not had the chance to even mess with it, I have been working a lot, and been incredibly busy. Yea no screws they are bonded with an adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread