5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does removing the charcoal filter really do anything?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I completely removed the cat, smog pump, and egr on my old 84 corvette. Always passed inspection in Louisiana. I’m just worried of it will void my warranty. 🤔

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I live in CA. Does that mean if I take this out I will not pass my smog test when it comes up?

Your first smog test isn't until 8 years and then every other year after that. You can easily put it back in for the test, but highly doubt it would matter.

All modern Cali smog test are just OBD II connection test and visual inspection, no dyno sniffer test. And they aren't checking intakes for charcoal filters. However, if you have a aftermarket intake, they will be looking for a CARB sticker on the side of it.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd say something about the environment, but let's be real... we're driving thirsty, powerful v8's in a heavy truck. I don't think removing that filter is going to change the pollution of the truck a whole lot.
Now if you live in California, I'd recommend leaving as they'd probably throw your *** in jail if you did remove it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nah, when you finally get a smog test in California, it's not until the vehicle is 8 years old. It's not even a dyno smog test, it's a simple OBD II plug-in for codes. They don't check the filters, they just make sure you have a cat and only CARB certified mods.

I have a non-CARB intake on my car, but I'll just spend the 20 minutes to change it out should I still have the car 8 years from now for it's first smog test.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just wrote to iCarPlayDongle X. I found that my CPLAY2air dongle was not ready for prime time. Loaded with bugs. I'm wondering what is different. Under the cover many of these dongles are the same with some added software. We'll see if they get back to me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just wrote to iCarPlayDongle X. I found that my CPLAY2air dongle was not ready for prime time. Loaded with bugs.
Really??? What bugs and why not ready for prime time? There are a ton of us using them without issue so curious. If you are concerned, buy this one:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Really??? What bugs and why not ready for prime time? There are a ton of us using them without issue so curious. If you are concerned, buy this one:

This has been discussed too many times on this forum. Look them up and you will find them.. Happy reading.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just wrote to iCarPlayDongle X. I found that my CPLAY2air dongle was not ready for prime time. Loaded with bugs. I'm wondering what is different. Under the cover many of these dongles are the same with some added software. We'll see if they get back to me.
Why are you injecting CPLAY2air in a Thread about Does removing the charcoal filter really do anything? :confused:

dannymcd

Reaction score
Had it in mine, though about a CAI but they are basically a $300 clone of the factory airbox so I just did a K&N and popped the charcoal filter with a screwdriver. 2k miles and no issues just a better engine tone

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Technically warranty is void...on the charcoal filter. :)

standfree

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i removed my coal filter, but, I might need to put a mask on the filter to please the ignorant california ELECTED idiots

U

User_63152

i removed my coal filter, but, I might need to put a mask on the filter to please the ignorant california ELECTED idiots
Gotta get rid of those pesky ''coal'' filters. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• OCF.jpg
    OCF.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread