5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does removing the charcoal filter really do anything?

Kob0583

Reaction score
I can’t say it makes a difference for sure but after popping two of them off my trucks if you try blowing air through it, it’s super restrictive. I took one off of my TRD CAI it’s required for CA CARB compliance. I really can’t believe we have such a restrictive piece on our vehicles. That’s a very Un scientific answer but I can’t see how helping the engine breath better is a bad thing. It won’t see them on aftermarket intakes as they aren’t concerned with CA requirements. They just market it for off road/racing use to keep in the market there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
Since I’m in the business of air pollution control I’d venture to say the added static pressure of the carbon filter is significant since it’s the type with actual granules of carbon . We have other types of carbon filters with carbon dust sprayed on filter media with much lower static . On similar filters I use in my air cleaners the static of this filter can be as high as .25 “ -.33 WG . Water gauge dependent on velocity (rpm) which is pretty high with air volumes of 350 cfm with this truck. About the same as a better design hose and intake on a CAI . By the way I took a look at the stock intake there is a chock section where the intake hose connects to the fresh air suction section a rectangle section about 2”x5” Which equates to 6000 feet per minute is a bit high at 350 cfm . This area equates closer to about 3.5 “ diameter . Not sure why they are sucking air sideways instead of direct ram air of the airflow. As mentioned before the carbon will adsorb and desorb as the temperature changes so what’s the use . I’m going to take mine out after I get a smog certificate here in California since I just got a out of state truck.

Attachments

• AC19FE68-67BB-4860-BD76-2A45AAF89458.jpeg
    AC19FE68-67BB-4860-BD76-2A45AAF89458.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 152

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
By the way just to give you a idea .25-.33 “ static w.g is close to added resistance of adding 25-33’ of straight hose not flex but smooth . The higher the rpm the higher the static .

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First thing I did was replace my filter with a K&S. I've put them in all my vehicles since 2002. I have one in my cabin filter receptacle too. I never came across a secondary charcoal filter in any vehicle.
RAM has one. I believe that its in the top half of the air box.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
So I live in CA. Does that mean if I take this out I will not pass my smog test when it comes up?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I’m in the business of air pollution control I’d venture to say the added static pressure of the carbon filter is significant since it’s the type with actual granules of carbon . We have other types of carbon filters with carbon dust sprayed on filter media with much lower static . On similar filters I use in my air cleaners the static of this filter can be as high as .25 “ -.33 WG . Water gauge dependent on velocity (rpm) which is pretty high with air volumes of 350 cfm with this truck. About the same as a better design hose and intake on a CAI . By the way I took a look at the stock intake there is a chock section where the intake hose connects to the fresh air suction section a rectangle section about 2”x5” Which equates to 6000 feet per minute is a bit high at 350 cfm . This area equates closer to about 3.5 “ diameter . Not sure why they are sucking air sideways instead of direct ram air of the airflow. As mentioned before the carbon will adsorb and desorb as the temperature changes so what’s the use . I’m going to take mine out after I get a smog certificate here in California since I just got a out of state truck.
Very cool, I’m glad to read your (professional) side of things on this.

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
So I live in CA. Does that mean if I take this out I will not pass my smog test when it comes up?
I wouldn’t be worried if you bought your car in California your not required to have a smog in about 5 years since new I believe . I don’t think most smog techs are even looking for it.

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
:censored:This is a lot less restrictive than the Porsche Thermal Reactors installed on late seventies 911 that actually increased back pressure and increased temperatures that caused engine failure here in California . Most of us bought Bursch Exhausts and paid off the smog tech.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Might remove the charcoal after watching that video

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Open the air breather and I definitely have one. I ended up deciding against removing it since I’m under warranty. Lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I removed mine before I bought my Vararam. Removed it after reading some replies and watching the youtube video. After looking at it, after removal, I can't see how it would have any effect on performance. It is far less restrictive than the actual air filter itself that the air has to be sucked through first.

To the guy who said he used an air gun to blow air through it, unfortunately, air flow doesn't work that way. Forcing air through media isn't the same as a vacuum sucking air through media. This is the same reason almost everyone uses puller fans on radiators as opposed to pusher fans.

tones2SS

Reaction score
If you remove the charcoal filter,...will you get an EVAP issue?
Doesn't the charcoal filter help something to do with emissions?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
No issues at all. Removed it in my 2019 for over a year and a half and also removed it 3 months ago in my 2021. I think it's there for CARB and CARB only. Cut it out(y)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
That's why it's there. Any unburnt gasoline in the crankcase or cylinders or intake (think leaking injector) will evaporate and head for the atmosphere, unless it gets caught in the charcoal pad. Later on, it evaporates again and gets drawn in and burnt. It's a completely passive system, thus it's removal won't trigger any codes.

It is technically illegal to remove it under the Federal Clean Air Act. Will you get caught? Probably not.

itsrname2

Reaction score
That's why it's there. Any unburnt gasoline in the crankcase or cylinders or intake (think leaking injector) will evaporate and head for the atmosphere, unless it gets caught in the charcoal pad. Later on, it evaporates again and gets drawn in and burnt. It's a completely passive system, thus it's removal won't trigger any codes.

It is technically illegal to remove it under the Federal Clean Air Act. Will you get caught? Probably not.
It is not illegal to remove, if it was than the Mopar cai would have it as well but it does not.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It is not illegal to remove, if it was than the Mopar cai would have it as well but it does not.
Wrong. It says "For off-road use only." Stop. That means it's not street legal. And since I knew someone would dispute it, here's the text and the source.

The following acts and the causing thereof are prohibited—
(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

Users who are viewing this thread