5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Cold Air Intakes make a difference?

ToeKnee

Reaction score
Does adding a cold air intake improve mpg or hp? I seen some people say it helps and some say it does nothing.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sure makes it sound better but you will want hear it more so less MPG. HP or Torque increase will be minimal at best. Sure on a Dyno they might so something but "seat of pants" feel it aint.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No , save your money.if you feel the need to do something put in hi-flow aire filter such as k&n and remove charcoal filter from air box lid.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Adding a K&N filter will definitely increase your engine's ingestion of foreign particulate. Stick with pleated paper.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Canada eh

Reaction score
Looks like Mr Security is actually Mr Insecurity. Seems to be an expert on 99% of posts in this group. Typical old man syndrome who thinks they are sure of everything yet hasn't done any real world installs themselves.
Funny...reported? Get real, monitor saw your childish behavior and rude comments on their own is my guess. Glad to learn they actually warned you. Well deserved.

ny2az

Reaction score
l can see adding a free flowing air filter but, why would you need to remove the carbon filter on the lid ... is it restrictive ...

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Adding a K&N filter will definitely increase your engine's ingestion of foreign particulate. Stick with pleated paper.
So true. I was on the K&N train for a while, until I saw dirt all over inside the intake and my turbo impeller looked like it was sand blasted. If you hold a K&N filter up to a light source you will see light shining though tiny holes everywhere

dandar

Reaction score
I think RAM intake is already free-flowing compared to say Dodge Charger/Challenger where the same engine has 375 HP compared to 395 HP in the RAM. You may get 10-15 HP at the top of the RPM range but feel nothing with your butt dyno.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think RAM intake is already free-flowing compared to say Dodge Charger/Challenger where the same engine has 375 HP compared to 395 HP in the RAM. You may get 10-15 HP at the top of the RPM range but feel nothing with your butt dyno.
THIS^^^

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
l can see adding a free flowing air filter but, why would you need to remove the carbon filter on the lid ... is it restrictive ...
It is a dense material that can impact flow. I posted pics of my AEM install with the carbon filter delete. You can clearly see from the pics the thickness and density of the filter.

RAM Filter 5.jpg RAM Filter 6.jpg RAM Filter 4.jpg

Last edited:

ny2az

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread