5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we have a issue with theft

CanRebel

Reaction score
I would like to know what Ford did in model year 2020 to go from #1 to #9?
My guess, more Ford's were sitting in big parking lots waiting for chips. Ram, GM were putting out with 'missing' options.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess, more Ford's were sitting in big parking lots waiting for chips. Ram, GM were putting out with 'missing' options.
Not update their truck line, making it less desireable. Thief's finally realize they are garbage trucks.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This debate
Your joking right?
In 2020, Ram Pick-ups are number 5 in the US

Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau.

View attachment 117384
This data is not what is reflected on the National Insurance Crime Bureau's website. Ram is in 10th place...not 5th. And it stands to reason the TRX guys would be concerned...who in their right mind would steal a lower trim level and risk going to prison for a Tradesman, Big Horn or Lone Star? I don't think Fast & Furious would have been so popular with some folks had Vin Diesel been stealing Kia Rios or Ram Tradesman!

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
Not auto theft, but last April when we moved into our new house, our movers found my brand new Springfield Armory 9mm, 3 loaded magazines and a credit card. It was in my night stand - well, they decided they would take it. 2-days later I get a call from a detective asking if I were missing anything. I found out the guys later were pulled over and when the cop smelled weed, he searched the car turning up my pistol, amo and credit cards. in that 2-days, they racked up $1000 on tennis shoes and PlayStation games. I'm still waiting to get my gun back from the police, but the credit card company ate the $1000.

CanRebel

Reaction score
This debate

This data is not what is reflected on the National Insurance Crime Bureau's website. Ram is in 10th place...not 5th. And it stands to reason the TRX guys would be concerned...who in their right mind would steal a lower trim level and risk going to prison for a Tradesman, Big Horn or Lone Star? I don't think Fast & Furious would have been so popular with some folks had Vin Diesel been stealing Kia Rios or Ram Tradesman!

I cut and pasted it from their site.... Even what you linked MATCHED 100% cause it come from there....

And yes dumb ***... People are stealing Trucks other than TRX's... Did you even bother to read, the things you LINKED??
Trucks are 5 of the Top 10....

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cut and pasted it from their site.... Even what you linked MATCHED 100% cause it come from there....

And yes dumb ***... People are stealing Trucks other than TRX's... Did you even bother to read, the things you LINKED??
Did you happen to read what you posted - and wrote "In 2020, Ram Pick-ups are number 5 in the US" That statement is BS!

Ford and Chevrolet are still the top stolen trucks in the U.S. - NOT RAM! Ram is 10th per the website with the most common year stolen being the 2001 model year!

1642430268887.png

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Here is an article with pictures...maybe this will help.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you happen to read what you posted - and wrote "In 2020, Ram Pick-ups are number 5 in the US" That statement is BS!

Ford and Chevrolet are still the top stolen trucks in the U.S. - NOT RAM! Ram is 10th per the website with the most common year stolen being the 2001 model year!

View attachment 117411
The way I read this is there are two answers:
Dodge trucks are 10th most stolen overall.
But for 2020 model year only, Ram trucks are the 5th most stolen.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The way I read this is there are two answers:
Dodge trucks are 10th most stolen overall.
But for 2020 model year only, Ram trucks are the 5th most stolen.
Please post the link and not a screen shot...I find nothing on NICBs website to indicate 2020 MY Rams were the 5th most stolen vehicles in 2020...only the poor quality screen shot posted above.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please post the link and not a screen shot...I find nothing on NICBs website to indicate 2020 MY Rams were the 5th most stolen vehicles in 2020...only the poor quality screen shot posted above.
Not "5th most stolen vehicle in 2020". It's "5th most stolen for the 2020 model year".

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for the accuracy of that information, and I don't have a link to it. But I have been researching the thefts on TRX's, and it is quite concerning. Given that it's the same setup as all other DT Rams, it means that any of our trucks can easily be stolen. Like, 30 seconds easy.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Your more likely to have a tow truck steal your car than a guy breaking out your window to "hot wire" your car.

The thieves now are organized gangs who know how to bypass your key fobs and sensors. If they want your car bad enough there is really not much to stop them.

Let insurance cover it.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Insurance does not really "cover" it. They merely collect more money from customers, keep a percentage and pay off the lender up to the covered amount (likely less than what you owe the lender).

Kind of like how school tuition, Healthcare and childcare are "free".😉

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your more likely to have a tow truck steal your car than a guy breaking out your window to "hot wire" your car.

The thieves now are organized gangs who know how to bypass your key fobs and sensors. If they want your car bad enough there is really not much to stop them.

Let insurance cover it.
As I understand it, the two primary methods being used are:
  • Key fob cloning. Requires them to pick up the signal from your key fob, either right before they steal it or they save the signal and return later (or follow you home). If they do this, there's no broken glass, no forced entry.
  • Key fob reprogramming. Requires them to break in first, then attach a laptop to the computer. Then they just program a new key fob (like a dealer does). FCA has introduced a "fix" for this on the Dodge cars, but nothing for Rams yet.
One solution that appears to be the most bullet proof: The Ravelco security system. It builds in a LOT of wires that disable several components (disabling your vehicle). The only way to start the truck is to have the physical plug that connects all the wires. Sure, a thief could undo the system, but it supposedly takes hours to unravel.

Nothing is going to stop someone from disconnecting the e-brake and towing it off, though.

CanRebel

Reaction score
@Eighty I haven't really looked at all ways they are doing it.
But I think ones you listed are at top. My guess, most are either chopped up for parts or shipped out of the country.

Where I live. common thing isn't to steal the 'truck'. They are stealing wheels. Either dropping on ground or on bricks.

Users who are viewing this thread