5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we have a issue with theft

Ldante197

Reaction score
I had my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee stolen from a mall in NJ… Hence what brought me to the RAM forum with that insurance $$$.

It was a complete nightmare. Started my new job the next day and had my company laptop in there. Also had the title to the car in there because I had a DMV appointment the following weekend to flip the title into my name. Add on the $4k worth of fishing rods I had… literally the worst timing.

Seeing how trucks are some of the most commonly stolen vehicles I have so much PTSD after what happened to me might happen again with my new truck. I’m insuring myself to the max and not keeping a dime inside of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Earlier this year my garage was broken into and a bicycle was stolen. Then the thief rode my bike to a Ram pickup a couple blocks away and threw the bike in the bed and stole the truck. IT HAPPENS!
Did you ever get the bike back? 😬

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
CAN WE PLEASE STOP KNOCKING EACH OTHERS STATES!!!

we all have to live somewhere!
We're not knocking all states. Just California. 😆😅

But with the mention of "shock sensor" got me thinking. Wonder if you could rig up something from the 110v outlet to the seat so when some dirt bag steals the code to your truck and jumps in to start it 💥 ZAP! Fried huevos!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But with the mention of "shock sensor" got me thinking. Wonder if you could rig up something from the 110v outlet to the seat so when some dirt bag steals the code to your truck and jumps in to start it 💥 ZAP! Fried huevos!
When I was a younger man and was in the Navy working on high-voltage electrical stuff, I often had to leave my truck in long-term parking for 3-6 months during cruises. I had a fantasy of rigging something up through my truck that if the ignition switch was bypassed, the steering wheel would become electrified from a high-voltage storage capacitor that would instantly seize the thief's hands to the steering wheel and kill him (most car thieves are guys) by traveling through his arm through the heart and back out the other arm. Then the fried corpse would just sit there and rot as a warning to the next ne'er do well. :) . Interestingly, no one apparently ever wanted to steal a truck covered in Dead stickers :LOL:

Yeah, I might have had some anger issues :ROFLMAO:

MileHi Guy

Reaction score
Did you ever get the bike back? 😬
Actually, yes. I put a search on Craigslist and I spotted my bike in less than a week. It is a specialized cross bike with a couple of distinguishing figures on it. I contacted the police and they were able to identify that the bike was mine by the distinguishing figures on it from a picture I had and they pretended to be a buyer. They met the person who posted the bike for sale and he surrendered the bike immediately. So the bike is back in my garage. That probably doesn’t happen very often, I feel like luck was on my side.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, yes. I put a search on Craigslist and I spotted my bike in less than a week. It is a specialized cross bike with a couple of distinguishing figures on it. I contacted the police and they were able to identify that the bike was mine by the distinguishing figures on it from a picture I had and they pretended to be a buyer. They met the person who posted the bike for sale and he surrendered the bike immediately. So the bike is back in my garage. That probably doesn’t happen very often, I feel like luck was on my side.
Love it! Funny but true story:

Years ago my brother was at a club with his big yellow truck. Comes out and someone has sideswiped the front passenger quarter panel, leaving their green paint behind and taking some of his yellow. 2 weeks later he is sitting at a red light and a green car pulls up in the next lane with a smashed driver fender and a bunch of yellow paint stuck to it. He follows these kids home and confronts them at their house, father comes out my brother threatens to call the cops, kids admit to doing it and he leaves with a check from the father for a grand for the damage!

56 Pontiac

Reaction score

Let's not forget Michigan! :eek:

There was a movie, long time ago, that showed some dirt bag breaking into a vehicle and ZAP getting fried to a crisp ... now my brain will wrack itself until I remember the name of that movie ...

Dave

Bluesurf

Reaction score
over on the TRX forum there is a lot of talk about theft of their trucks.

with some trucks not coming with a shock sensor are you worried.
No shock and no glass breakage sensors. FCA Factory alarms are garbage. Lexus comes with an optional module that plugs in under the dash giving you these features.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a younger man and was in the Navy working on high-voltage electrical stuff, I often had to leave my truck in long-term parking for 3-6 months during cruises. I had a fantasy of rigging something up through my truck that if the ignition switch was bypassed, the steering wheel would become electrified from a high-voltage storage capacitor that would instantly seize the thief's hands to the steering wheel and kill him (most car thieves are guys) by traveling through his arm through the heart and back out the other arm. Then the fried corpse would just sit there and rot as a warning to the next ne'er do well. :) . Interestingly, no one apparently ever wanted to steal a truck covered in Dead stickers :LOL:

Yeah, I might have had some anger issues :ROFLMAO:
That's actually illegal and you would get in more trouble for having something like that on your vehicle than the car thief would have for stealing your car.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A shock sensor or glass breakage sensor won't stop thief's. Most people nowadays ignore car alarms going off because they hear them all the time from aftermarket alarms being set too sensitive, or people using the panic function to try and locate their car's in parking lots.

Want to keep people from being able to drive your vehicle away, rig up some sort of remote hidden fuel pump disable switch. Or I knew a few guys who would pop out the fuel pump relay when parking for long term.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That's actually illegal and you would get in more trouble for having something like that on your vehicle than the car thief would have for stealing your car.
You are about as exciting as Hank Hill, I'll tell you what.

Where's your sense of adventure? The four wheeling to find a remote area you can dispose of the body at? The taking advantage of covid masking so you can buy all your bleach and other supplies anonymously? Do you bury or chop and spread? If chopping, fresh or frozen?

Life is a big shipment of excitement straight from Amazon just waiting for you to open the box!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
This may be a Hank Hill approved car jacking deterant as it is propane powered......

Although, it does look like something Dale would invent. I'll tell you what.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Let’s be real here, who is going to steal a pickup truck? Or a Ram for that matter?
A TRX maybe for the motor, but I don’t lose sleep at night over anything getting stolen unless it is super limited and almost irreplaceable. That’s why we have insurance. They steal it, it gives me a good reason to upgrade.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you know I never actually did it. Just like (to date) no one has ever tried to steal my vehicle. Of course, for years I drove vehicles that thieves would be embarrassed to try to steal, much less be seen driving :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s be real here, who is going to steal a pickup truck? Or a Ram for that matter?
A TRX maybe for the motor, but I don’t lose sleep at night over anything getting stolen unless it is super limited and almost irreplaceable. That’s why we have insurance. They steal it, it gives me a good reason to upgrade.
Lots of Rams get stolen. The local Facebook group for helping people find stolen vehicles is mostly trucks being stolen and quite a few of those are Rams.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Your joking right?
In 2020, Ram Pick-ups are number 5 in the US

Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau.

1642393054168.png

Users who are viewing this thread