5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY oil change

shivaa

Reaction score
Just did the first oil change and it is pretty straight forward to the point where I will never pay anybody to change it as again. I did this at less than 3,300 miles and was unhappy and surprised to see how dirty the oil was.
In hindsight, I'd recommend doing your first oil change at approx. 1,500-2,000 miles.
For tools you simply need a 15/16" socket w/extension, a 13mm socket, a funnel, and a stable step stool.
I removed the filter cartridge housing first which is located under the hood, rear and center up against the firewall (basically). The cartridge is buried down behind the engine and that's why you'll need the step stool so you can get up high enough and extend out in order to reach it. I'm 6' 2" and still needed to lay out on the radiator deck.
Removal is simple because after unscrewing it you just pull it out of its hole. Removal is much simpler and cleaner than a traditional metal housing filter located under the engine. I would recommend you take the assembly to a bench before pulling out the filter and then take a rag or paper towel to wipe out the inside of the housing because I found particulates inside of the housing. I reinstalled this, and then removed the oil filler cap before going underneath for draining.
The drain plug is located on the passenger side of the cps test aluminum omegle tv die cast oil pan. The pan really doesn't look like a traditional pan at all versus an approx 8"x8" cube protruding down from the bottom of the engine. Although I didn't need to, I jacked up the driver side only (positioning the jack on the frame behind the rear wheel) so that the oil would flow downhill to the drain opening. This worked really well. As another poster accurately stated, the synthetic oil shoots out pretty quickly so use a large pan about 5" deep like I did. Again, this worked well with very little mess.
You can figure out the rest.
thank you for the best answer and DIY solution.

shivaa

Reaction score
Purchased a new left over 2019 RAM 2 months ago with 3.6 and just did first oil change at 3,100 miles. I'm a little concerned because of the amount of metal I found in the filter. I worked on piston powered aircraft for years and it was standard procedure to inspect oil filters and send an oil analysis. Given that it's a new engine I expected to see metal but not this much and after checking with a magnet, it's not ferrous. I'm going to change the oil again around 2,500 miles and see if the filter is cleaner. The manual says first oil change at 5k miles , I don't know there appears to echat be a lot of break-in. Anyway, the truck runs great and no issues.
thank you!

spoils

Reaction score
I'm going to sound like a moron, but would someone post a picture of the oil drain? I always changed the oil on my F150, but I cannot for the life of me unscrew the drain plug on this 2019 5th Gen Ram v6 from the angle underneath the truck. I guess I'm going to have to put it on ramps so I have more room for better leverage, or take it for an oil change and hope they don't tighten down the drain to all hell. There is also a plastic looking pan futher down the line that has a drain that says for oil drain, but I'm not familar with that setup, and I see everyone draining from the the 13mm bolt passenger side.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to sound like a moron, but would someone post a picture of the oil drain? I always changed the oil on my F150, but I cannot for the life of me unscrew the drain plug on this 2019 5th Gen Ram v6 from the angle underneath the truck. I guess I'm going to have to put it on ramps so I have more room for better leverage, or take it for an oil change and hope they don't tighten down the drain to all hell. There is also a plastic looking pan futher down the line that has a drain that says for oil drain, but I'm not familar with that setup, and I see everyone draining from the the 13mm bolt passenger side.
This is where your sump is.

1634588731821.png

Also the plastic pan....you are talking about your transmission. Don't drain that.

JimD007

Reaction score
That picture does not look like my pan. My pan is mainly aluminum but there is a small steel almost flat plate with a drain plug in it. Too late for pictures, at least today. But I found it by just looking for where the bottom on the engine is. Once you identify which large shape under the car is the engine, it isn't too hard to identify - but it does not look like the oil pan of any of the older cars I have owned. I posted the size of the drain plug and I think others have too, that is another clue.

Jowiso

Reaction score
That picture does not look like my pan. My pan is mainly aluminum but there is a small steel almost flat plate with a drain plug in it. Too late for pictures, at least today. But I found it by just looking for where the bottom on the engine is. Once you identify which large shape under the car is the engine, it isn't too hard to identify - but it does not look like the oil pan of any of the older cars I have owned. I posted the size of the drain plug and I think others have too, that is another clue.
I'm going to sound like a moron too, then, because I'm in the same boat. I think I know where the drain plug is, but like you said - it doesn't look like any oil pan I've seen before. Can you send me a pic of yours? The part I'm looking at looks like one giant aluminum section rather than a traditional pan that's bolted around the top edges.

Users who are viewing this thread