5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distance per tank

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't driving habits and driving history be the same thing? Not sure what you are talking about, but nice overreaction. Habits would include where you are driving, highway, city etc. If you have a habit of idling for long periods, but yeah I guess that would have nothing to do with recent driving history, sheesh.

Yes, your recent driving history could absolutely reflect the way you habitually drive. But, your recent driving history could also be completely different than how you drive by habit. The truck doesn't care how you drive habitually. It only cares how you were driving recently.

If you habitually drive 5 miles each way, in heavy city traffic, every day to go somewhere like work, but today you are 500 miles into a road trip of steady highway driving, your driving habits aren't going to mean anything at all when the truck calculates your estimated distance to empty. It's going to base that calculation on the mileage you have been getting on your road trip.

I'm sorry that correcting wrong information you were giving out seems like an overreaction to you.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, your recent driving history could absolutely reflect the way you habitually drive. But, your recent driving history could also be completely different than how you drive by habit. The truck doesn't care how you drive habitually. It only cares how you were driving recently.

If you habitually drive 5 miles each way, in heavy city traffic, every day to go somewhere like work, but today you are 500 miles into a road trip of steady highway driving, your driving habits aren't going to mean anything at all when the truck calculates your estimated distance to empty. It's going to base that calculation on the mileage you have been getting on your road trip.

I'm sorry that correcting wrong information you were giving out seems like an overreaction to you.
Yea, that was an odd reaction.

@StuartV is right. Let the truck sit and idle for a bit and check your miles to empty. Then jump on the highway and note that increased in just a few miles. That is because the calculation lives in the moment.

If it calculated based on history and you just did a bunch of highway driving but now you are in town, you would be out of gas reading that you have 30 miles to empty.

Way to dig up an old thread too! 😆

RedFred

Reaction score

Having fun playing semantics? How about recent driving habits? Does that work for you? I never used the word habitual, and in my original post that got you all uptight, I literally said "it's basing it's calculations on recent driving history". And your recent driving habits would be reflected in your recent driving history. But yeah you go ahead.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
People sure get wound up over forum posts🙄

On my new truck with 34 miles on it and 5 idle hours, I reset all the history and then started off for the hundred mile trip home.

It still took the truck two tanks of gas to learn my driving at 70 or 75 mile an hour on the highway.

I ended up (with the 3.92 gears) averaging 18.6 at approximately 75 mph with a totally unloaded truck. It first started off with a 298 mile estimated range with a full tank of gas , my latest full tank this morning reads 580 mile range. Of course that's based on solid highway driving now.

RedFred

Reaction score
People sure get wound up over forum posts🙄

On my new truck with 34 miles on it and 5 idle hours, I reset all the history and then started off for the hundred mile trip home.

It still took the truck two tanks of gas to learn my driving at 70 or 75 mile an hour on the highway.

I ended up (with the 3.92 gears) averaging 18.6 at approximately 75 mph with a totally unloaded truck. It first started off with a 298 mile estimated range with a full tank of gas , my latest full tank this morning reads 580 mile range. Of course that's based on solid highway driving now.

Well when someone literally uses my own words to try to correct me, it is a little irritating. And if I have a habit of stomping on the go pedal and I have had a lot of those recently, you can bet it will be reflected in the MPG and miles to empty calculations.

And be prepared, someone will come along shortly to correct you and tell you that your truck doesn't "learn" your driving at 70 or 75.😂

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Well when someone literally uses my own words to try to correct me, it is a little irritating. And if I have a habit of stomping on the go pedal and I have had a lot of those recently, you can bet it will be reflected in the MPG and miles to empty calculations.

And be prepared, someone will come along shortly to correct you and tell you that your truck doesn't "learn" your driving at 70 or 75.😂
I get it, a lot of people type first and think later. I've left other forms because it got so crazy.

Hope things get well with you on your mileage and mileage to empty, I just use 600 as an appropriate estimate based on 33 gallons at 18 miles per gallon.

RedFred

Reaction score
I get it, a lot of people type first and think later. I've left other forms because it got so crazy.

Hope things get well with you on your mileage and mileage to empty, I just use 600 as an appropriate estimate based on 33 gallons at 18 miles per gallon.
This place is not so bad, but nothing wrong with an occasional back and forth discussion. But overall, I have no complaints with my MPG or miles to empty. Having the larger gas tank is almost a must have feature for me. It's hard to move on to another truck now if it comes with a smaller gas tank.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
This place is not so bad, but nothing wrong with an occasional back and forth discussion. But overall, I have no complaints with my MPG or miles to empty. Having the larger gas tank is almost a must have feature for me. It's hard to move on to another truck now if it comes with a smaller gas tank.
I get it, I insisted on the 33 gallon tank this time after coming from a Ford in 2015 that had a 36. I did have a 2019 ram with a 26 gallon tank and even though I can't last that long typically on the highway without a stop, if I was towing, it would be miserable.

The 392 gears cut 2 miles per gallon off of what I got with the 321s on my 2019 but that's to be expected.

I figure if I can't afford the gas, I should not have bought the $60,000 truck, sale or no sale.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well when someone literally uses my own words to try to correct me, it is a little irritating.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Selective memory much?

Also, if you just picked it up from dealership, the computer hasn't had a chance to learn your driving habits. So it's basing it's calculations on recent driving history, which includes in transit and at dealership start and stops.

This all started with me simply saying that your driving habits have nothing to do with the DTE calculation. It IS based on recent driving history. Driving habits are not a factor AT ALL. They MAY be reflected in your recent history, but it's the history that matters, not whatever your driving habits are. If your habits are not reflected in your recent driving history, then they will NOT affect the DTE calculation - because it's only looking at recent history, not driving habits.

Be irritated all you want. What you said was simply wrong. The calculation is never based on driving habits. It's only based on recent history. If those happen to coincide, that doesn't change the fact that the driving habits are not a factor when the calculation is performed.

RedFred

Reaction score

Selective memory much?

This all started with me simply saying that your driving habits have nothing to do with the DTE calculation. It IS based on recent driving history. Driving habits are not a factor AT ALL. They MAY be reflected in your recent history, but it's the history that matters, not whatever your driving habits are. If your habits are not reflected in your recent driving history, then they will NOT affect the DTE calculation - because it's only looking at recent history, not driving habits.

Be irritated all you want. What you said was simply wrong. The calculation is never based on driving habits. It's only based on recent history. If those happen to coincide, that doesn't change the fact that the driving habits are not a factor when the calculation is performed.
What I said was 100% correct. But you want to play semantics. Your recent driving habits are reflected in your recent driving history by default. There is no way around it. You can play word games all you want. Even myself, driving on the highway, making the same trip you make, we can end up with different MPG depending on our peddle and brake habits. Not sure why this is so complicated for you to understand, but changes to your driving habits will be reflected in the computers calculations because it will be a part of your recent driving history. If I am heavy on the gas peddle and brake and don't coast much, that will be reflected. The 2 things are related, it's not just by chance that the way you drive just so happened to get factored into and have an effect on the MPG and miles to empty. If you want to improve MPG and miles to empty, you can make adjustments to your driving habits and it will 100% get factored in because it is a part of your recent driving history. And my driving habits change daily depending on how much of a rush I am in.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I said was 100% correct. But you want to play semantics. Your recent driving habits are reflected in your recent driving history by default. There is no way around it. You can play word games all you want. Even myself, driving on the highway, making the same trip you make, we can end up with different MPG depending on our peddle and brake habits. Not sure why this is so complicated for you to understand, but changes to your driving habits will be reflected in the computers calculations because it will be a part of your recent driving history. If I am heavy on the gas peddle and brake and don't coast much, that will be reflected. The 2 things are related, it's not just by chance that the way you drive just so happened to get factored into and have an effect on the MPG and miles to empty. If you want to improve MPG and miles to empty, you can make adjustments to your driving habits and it will 100% get factored in because it is a part of your recent driving history. And my driving habits change daily depending on how much of a rush I am in.

Do you actually know what the word "habit" means?

Did you read your own post, where you said "the computer hasn't had a chance to learn your driving habits"?

You didn't say "recent driving habits". You just said driving habits. Your habits are not something that just happened in your recent driving. And, your HABITS may not have come into play AT ALL in your recent driving.

Also, the truck's computer does not learn ANYTHING about your HABITS that it uses in calculating your DTE.

It ONLY knows how much fuel you used in the 500 miles (or whatever the specific number is), and uses THAT to calculate your DTE.

Your driving HABIT may be to hammer it from a light every time it changes to green. If you never did that in the last 500 miles (or 50?) then your HABIT exists and it is what it is. It is still your HABIT, but it has NOTHING to do with what the computer says is your DTE.

Crikey man! You said:

Also, if you just picked it up from dealership, the computer hasn't had a chance to learn your driving habits. So it's basing it's calculations on recent driving history, which includes in transit and at dealership start and stops.

You DIRECTLY implied that his driving habits would eventually be used to calculate DTE.

The intelligent thing to do when corrected would be to say "yes. My bad. Your driving habits don't matter. The truck is only going to look at how much fuel you used in the last XX miles to predict how many miles you've got left in the tank" and move on!

Read a dictionary. Look up "habit". I'm out!

RedFred

Reaction score
Do you actually know what the word "habit" means?

Did you read your own post, where you said "the computer hasn't had a chance to learn your driving habits"?

You didn't say "recent driving habits". You just said driving habits. Your habits are not something that just happened in your recent driving. And, your HABITS may not have come into play AT ALL in your recent driving.

Also, the truck's computer does not learn ANYTHING about your HABITS that it uses in calculating your DTE.

It ONLY knows how much fuel you used in the 500 miles (or whatever the specific number is), and uses THAT to calculate your DTE.

Your driving HABIT may be to hammer it from a light every time it changes to green. If you never did that in the last 500 miles (or 50?) then your HABIT exists and it is what it is. It is still your HABIT, but it has NOTHING to do with what the computer says is your DTE.

Crikey man! You said:

You DIRECTLY implied that his driving habits would eventually be used to calculate DTE.

The intelligent thing to do when corrected would be to say "yes. My bad. Your driving habits don't matter. The truck is only going to look at how much fuel you used in the last XX miles to predict how many miles you've got left in the tank" and move on!

Read a dictionary. Look up "habit". I'm out!
I implied, because THEY ARE RELATED! What don't you get, that the way you drive will reflect into your recent driving history. Driving history is not just point A to point B. It takes into account many factors. And I know what habit is, and under different conditions a person has different habits. If I am in a rush, I have a habit of driving aggressively. If I leave my house early, I have a habit of driving less aggressively. You are tied into this habitual habit as if a persons driving style has to only be locked into one thing. And no matter if it is or isn't, it is still reflected in your recent driving history.

RedFred

Reaction score
And this statement is just ridiculous since the way you drive would effect how much gas your truck would use. How do you not get that aggressive style of driving uses more gas to get from point A to point B, than someone who is easier on the peddle? It's like you need to be schooled on every topic vehicle related. No one has time to teach you all these things.

RedFred

Reaction score
And just for arguments sake, I am referring to the first definition and I related a regular tendency or practice to the way someone drives. Maybe you are looking at and using the second definition which is something a nun would wear. Maybe that's where all the confusion is coming from.

Habit meaning compliments of Google search,
1. a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.
2. a long, loose garment worn by a member of a religious order or congregation.

BowDown

Reaction score

Selective memory much?

IMO, technically you're both right. Driving habits are what make up the trucks driving history or past fuel consumption. If you drive foot to the floor 50% of the time, you're creating fuel consumption history or a driving pattern in which fuel consumption can be "guessed" and therefore your DTE be calculated based on those numbers.

Also, DTE has nothing to do with what you're selling (peddling)

tenor.gif
but thats none of my business 😄

Sorry, could resist

Last edited:

RedFred

Reaction score
IMO, technically you're both right. Driving habits are what make up the trucks driving history or past fuel consumption. If you drive foot to the floor 50% of the time, you're creating fuel consumption history or a driving pattern in which fuel consumption can be "guessed" and therefore your DTE be calculated based on those numbers.

Also, DTE has nothing to do with what you're selling (peddling)

View attachment 173558
but thats none of my business 😄

Sorry, could resist

Thanks BowDown. My whole point is that there is a correlation between driving habits and distance to empty. Even is someone doesn't want to directly link them together, they are still linked indirectly since driving habits will have an effect on how much gas is used which is a main factor in determining distance to empty. To deny any correlation or relation between the 2 is ridiculous imo, but to each their own.

BowDown

Reaction score
Thanks BowDown. My whole point is that there is a correlation between driving habits and distance to empty. Even is someone doesn't want to directly link them together, they are still linked indirectly since driving habits will have an effect on how much gas is used which is a main factor in determining distance to empty. To deny any correlation or relation between the 2 is ridiculous imo, but to each their own.

DTE, seems to me, is calculated by historical fuel consumption data. That historical fuel consumption is generated based upon how the vehicle is driven and fuel consumed so yeah, I think the two go hand in hand.
When I refuel, I reset one of the trip computers to monitor my mileage. DTE is calculated based upon my past driving/consumption. That number will usually be around 390ish miles for 23 gallons (26 gallon tank with 3 in reserve). The DTE usually increases after about 5 min of driving because the gas station I use is off the highway and I get back on the highway and continue to work or home which gives me a bout 15-20 mini of highway driving. That highway driving usually changes my DTE to 420-430. That change is based on how im currently driving/fuel consumed

JimD007

Reaction score
My Ram is a 2019 Tradesman classic with the V6 and a 3.21 rear end, 2 wheel drive. I get 20-22 around town and 25 mpg on the road. On a trip I easily go over 500 miles before filling up. I was pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread