5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display Theme Resetting

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my truck in the shop for other things and had them check for a uConnect and radio update. No on both fronts. In fact my radio version is newer than what they have.

I don't think we're going to see a whole lot of improvement (or fixes) for our uConnect 4 systems with FCA hot and heavy into rolling out uConnect 5 next year.

I have not had any hardware issues (all software) and it's been frustrating at this price point to say the least. This is my first FCA product I've owned so uConnect 4 is all I've known (first vehicle I've had any kind of infotainment system in). After being in a loaner for the last few weeks with uConnect 3 I will take my imperfect uConnect 4 over that any day.

Ramduke

Reaction score
Just had my truck in the shop for other things and had them check for a uConnect and radio update. No on both fronts. In fact my radio version is newer than what they have.

I don't think we're going to see a whole lot of improvement (or fixes) for our uConnect 4 systems with FCA hot and heavy into rolling out uConnect 5 next year.

I have not had any hardware issues (all software) and it's been frustrating at this price point to say the least. This is my first FCA product I've owned so uConnect 4 is all I've known (first vehicle I've had any kind of infotainment system in). After being in a loaner for the last few weeks with uConnect 3 I will take my imperfect uConnect 4 over that any day.
I hear ya Brian42, this is my first FCA as well.

Is U connect 5 going to be compatible for existing units with 4?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear ya Brian42, this is my first FCA as well.

Is U connect 5 going to be compatible for existing units with 4?
Of course not. It's all-new software and hardware so it won't be backwards compatible. :(

Reading through everything, I look at it like this: uConnect 3 is SD, uConnect 4 is HD, and uConnect 5 is UHD (4K).

I'm sure the UHD will be cool and there will be some new features that would be nice, most notably wireless CarPlay for me personally. All that being said I'm sure those guys are going to have as many (if not more) problems than we do as they are adding a lot more new stuff into that package in addition to the new units and software.

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Guys. I have had a Tazer DT for two months now(Bought it just because of this frigging problem), i changed the splash screen the same day i got it and never had the deal with this problem again.
Left it on the Limited splash and changed the radio to limited too, no problem what whatsoever.
The new thing i found is, when i unplugged the TazerDT a few days ago(I have a dealer appointment tomorrow) i noticed that the splash screen stays the same, no need for the Tazer to be plugged in.
So if someone in your area happen to have the Tazer, Have them unMarry their tazer and marry it to your truck, change the splash screen to whatever you want and unMarry it again... that will fix your problem.

Turin

Reaction score
Guys. I have had a Tazer DT for two months now(Bought it just because of this frigging problem), i changed the splash screen the same day i got it and never had the deal with this problem again.
By "splash screen" are you referring to the animation the instrument cluster shows at startup? That's not what people are having problems with — the problem is the cluster theme during operation. It will stick for a while (maybe as long as a few days) then reverts to the default.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
By "splash screen" are you referring to the animation the instrument cluster shows at startup? That's not what people are having problems with — the problem is the cluster theme during operation. It will stick for a while (maybe as long as a few days) then reverts to the default.
Believe me, I know what you're talking about. It changes the theme. TazerDT calls it "splash screen" but it's actually the splash screen and the cluster theme during operation.

scottmort

Reaction score
Hey RamDuke, Sorry for the delayed response, but I really appreciate the info. Mine is 18.23.29 and when I plug in my VIN to Uconnect it says I am up to date, I have a gut feeling that the update 19.49.13 mentioned here is either for Limited or 2020 Trucks, not sure but I am going to try some things with the OBD port and if I find a fix I will let you know. Thank Again

scottmort

Reaction score
Left it on the Limited splash and changed the radio to limited too, no problem what whatsoever.
The new thing i found is, when i unplugged the TazerDT a few days ago(I have a dealer appointment tomorrow) i noticed that the splash screen stays the same, no need for the Tazer to be plugged in.
So if someone in your area happen to have the Tazer, Have them unMarry their tazer and marry it to your truck, change the splash screen to whatever you want and unMarry it again... that will fix your problem.
Thanks for the info MannyHen, I was actually wondering that, also wondering did you try or hear about anyone using the OBD port and a certain software ?? if so, please share.
Like pretty much everyone on here I LOVE this truck, and I have been a Chevy guy my whole life, but I gotta say these small annoyance like issues might turn me off to another RAM.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info MannyHen, I was actually wondering that, also wondering did you try or hear about anyone using the OBD port and a certain software ?? if so, please share.
Like pretty much everyone on here I LOVE this truck, and I have been a Chevy guy my whole life, but I gotta say these small annoyance like issues might turn me off to another RAM.
Don't give up on it just because of some small issues... I love the truck and other than this problem, I didn't have any problems.. and I fixed it with a cool device that I wanted anyway so it's kinda nice.

About the obd option, no, I don't know of anyone who was successful at finding a way to fix this problem with other than the TazerDT.
I really hope FCA is going to roll out the new update and finally put a stop to this nonsense bs issue

SKF

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie has this issue as well as a few other major issues. FCA does not seem to care and I'm starting to give up that there will ever be a fix. I wish I had my 2017 Bighorn back.

AlbertaRam

Reaction score
I literally just noticed this the other day and was trying to figure out why it kept resetting from the 5th to the 1st theme. I use command start on the fob every morning. Now I know. Doesn't look like it'll be fixed anytime soon :(

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie has this issue as well as a few other major issues. FCA does not seem to care and I'm starting to give up that there will ever be a fix. I wish I had my 2017 Bighorn back.

I literally just noticed this the other day and was trying to figure out why it kept resetting from the 5th to the 1st theme. I use command start on the fob every morning. Now I know. Doesn't look like it'll be fixed anytime soon :(
You guys can get a TazerDT and solve this problem... And add a few more features on the way :)

AlbertaRam

Reaction score
You guys can get a TazerDT and solve this problem... And add a few more features on the way :)
I like the front line lock and a few others :) might have to pull the pin and buy it. Any known compatability issues with a sprint booster?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I like the front line lock and a few others :) might have to pull the pin and buy it. Any known compatability issues with a sprint booster?
Is sprint booster a pedal commander-like device?
I have the TazerDT + PC plugged in, No problems at all...

AlbertaRam

Reaction score
Is sprint booster a pedal commander-like device?
I have the TazerDT + PC plugged in, No problems at all...
It’s basically a one up of a pedal commander yes. They’ve been around longer, are smaller and no problems.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It’s basically a one up of a pedal commander yes. They’ve been around longer, are smaller and no problems.
Great... than you're good.
I might sell my TazerDT... haven't made a decision yet but we'll see... :D

jfelderh

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 Big Horn with the 8.4” screen. Whenever I change the display theme, it will set it for the actually screen and the instrument cluster. Whenever I use the remote start, the instrument cluster goes back to the default theme 1 while the uconnect will stay on the theme I selected. It only does this when starting my truck with the remote. Anybody else had or is having this issue? Tired of having to reset the theme when I use the remote start. Whenever I start it with the push start it does not change themes on the instrument cluster.
Happens on my 2019 1500 Laramie as well. Just talked to Uconnect support and was told there is a software update coming 2nd quarter of 2019 that MAY address this issue. Guess we will wait and see.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just talked to Uconnect support and was told there is a software update coming 2nd quarter of 2019 that MAY address this issue. Guess we will wait and see.
Even though you probably meant 2021 that's what I was told that when I first called in April of 2019.

I've been told "there's a software update coming at the end of the quarter" every time I call for 2 years now.

I recently got my first software update ever and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything other than my SXM favorites only show up about 20% of the time instead of the 90% before the update.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Happens on my 2019 1500 Laramie as well. Just talked to Uconnect support and was told there is a software update coming 2nd quarter of 2019 that MAY address this issue. Guess we will wait and see.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That's funny.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Even though you probably meant 2021 that's what I was told that when I first called in April of 2019.

I've been told "there's a software update coming at the end of the quarter" every time I call for 2 years now.

I recently got my first software update ever and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything other than my SXM favorites only show up about 20% of the time instead of the 90% before the update.
Only thing this most recent update has visibly done is kill the volume when my android auto starts up. Only way to get the volume back is to cycle the power on the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread