5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display Theme Resetting

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Ive been following this for awhile trying to figure it out. I have a 19 8.4” nav system. My theme has always been reverting since it was new. Recently i bought a security module bypass cable an obd2 bluetooth module and the jscan app. Worked great to change a bunch of settings, set my bigger tire size, etc. I changed the theme to rebel today and it worked, ill see if the theme sticks or not and report back. I have the security module plugged back in now.

Other notes: I also tried unplugging the security module to see if that was possibly a reason tazerdt fixes it but no go. The radio doesnt turn on with it unplugged. I see in the tazerdt install guide that the tazer unit basically replaces the security module and have heard the theme not sticking is a power sequence issue between modules, most likely the security module, so tazer must sequence the power correctly.

Ill let you guys know if mine sticks or not in a day or two 😁

Ratchet

Reaction score
Stumbled across something here folks.....
If you're on an older software version such as 18.23.29, check your app version number as there are a few different variants of 18.23.29. Seen below, I'm on 21.10.0. If this is the case, you haven't received a forced over the air update from Uconnect. That update brings you up to at least ver 22. Without this FOTA, you cannot update to a newer version such as QR39.6 that even though it's last year, it's still a bit better in most cases and fixes a few of the common issues some of us have been experiencing. Uconnect can send FOTA directly to your vehicle. :) You can then update via thumbdrive afterwards to an updated version.

Some notes:
If this software is used on a radio with software level under 22.64, it could
damage the radio. If the radio is damaged it may need to be replaced.
• At or above 21.9 and under 22.64 >>> This bulletin does not pertain to the radio at this time.
Please wait for the FOTA campaign to be complete. Once the FOTA is completed the radio
software can be updated as needed.

At or above 22.64 and under 39.6 >>>Proceed with update

This is where I started the adventure.... I surely hope this info helps those of you that are stuck on the old version and wish to update.
Software Version 18.23.29
APP Ver: USA-IR-SBX-21.10.0-20180605-I09W
BootMicro: 18.10.01
HD Tuner: J6PRM000-CTP2_VP4-33000001-EV 011.016
EQ Ver: 3.4
CDM VER: E02.01

Attachments

• UAV_UCQ instructions for 39.6.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Well good news gents, I got the theme to stick without a tazerDT running the v18 software. Its only been a couple days but changing it to the rebel theme worked. Ive remote started a few times, and been driving all over and its working! I could never get it to stick for more than a couple hours before. A couple things I did notice is that the rebel animated theme is displayed longer than the bighorn logo that was there before. I also tried the "mossy oak" theme which displays a 1500 logo but with that theme the system reset itself back to bighorn default just like before. So looking closer at the themes I believe they are trim level themes, there is a blue theme which I believe is limited, the yellow theme is longhorn, etc etc. Ive always liked Theme 6 (red) best and believe this to be the rebel theme, so once I flashed the rebel theme to the cluster it appears that since the radio and cluster theme match IT STAYS!! I remember reading another thread with a guy using the tazerDT that was running the blue theme and flashed the "limited" theme to the cluster and it stuck. Choosing an alternate theme it did not stick. So my educated guess here is that for the theme to stick, the cluster splash theme needs to match the radio theme setting. I would test more but since its working I dont what to change it now 😁

For reference I set theme in JScan to the second "off road truck", and the theme in the radio to Theme 6. Its displays the rebel logo at boot and the theme sticks.

Security bypass cable $20
VGate OBD2 bluetooth adaptor $20
VIN license for JScan $20

Attachments

• ramdash.jpg
    ramdash.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 52

A-TEAM

Reaction score
1 week update, this is still working great, no reset. I may have cracked the code 😁

Ratchet

Reaction score
That's good you got yours to stick.

Since I'm on the #astard software version, I'm currently waiting for the FOTA to be pushed out so I can update to the most current ver. Won't be long now. :)

Ollie2023

Reaction score
Well good news gents, I got the theme to stick without a tazerDT running the v18 software. Its only been a couple days but changing it to the rebel theme worked. Ive remote started a few times, and been driving all over and its working! I could never get it to stick for more than a couple hours before. A couple things I did notice is that the rebel animated theme is displayed longer than the bighorn logo that was there before. I also tried the "mossy oak" theme which displays a 1500 logo but with that theme the system reset itself back to bighorn default just like before. So looking closer at the themes I believe they are trim level themes, there is a blue theme which I believe is limited, the yellow theme is longhorn, etc etc. Ive always liked Theme 6 (red) best and believe this to be the rebel theme, so once I flashed the rebel theme to the cluster it appears that since the radio and cluster theme match IT STAYS!! I remember reading another thread with a guy using the tazerDT that was running the blue theme and flashed the "limited" theme to the cluster and it stuck. Choosing an alternate theme it did not stick. So my educated guess here is that for the theme to stick, the cluster splash theme needs to match the radio theme setting. I would test more but since its working I dont what to change it now 😁

For reference I set theme in JScan to the second "off road truck", and the theme in the radio to Theme 6. Its displays the rebel logo at boot and the theme sticks.

Security bypass cable $20
VGate OBD2 bluetooth adaptor $20
VIN license for JScan $20
Thanks for the advice. ‘19 Laramie 1500. I tried to get the longhorn theme to stick with Jscan and it did not with auto start.
I tried changing to Off Road (2nd) to hopefully get Rebel to stay. I will update later.
On another note do you know what Special Vehicle Packages-Settings- Vehicle Config 1 does? The only options are Default and Red.
Thanks

KKearney

Reaction score
New to me 2019 Big Horn. Solved the CarPlay issue and now trying to resolve the theme resetting. My software version shows as 22.32.10 nut I am not sure where that is relative to a “fixed” version (if that exists). Anyone know? Appreciate any leads…
K

A-TEAM

Reaction score
As far as I know FCA never did fix this on the 19 big horn. I posted my solution a few posts back and the theme has stuck for 18k miles now. You have to program the computer manually with a tazerDT or in my case I used a couple obd2 parts and jscan on an iphone. Its a great tool to have you can change a lot of settings / tire size etc. I looked extensively into this issue and this is the only known resolution.

KKearney

Reaction score
As far as I know FCA never did fix this on the 19 big horn. I posted my solution a few posts back and the theme has stuck for 18k miles now. You have to program the computer manually with a tazerDT or in my case I used a couple obd2 parts and jscan on an iphone. Its a great tool to have you can change a lot of settings / tire size etc. I looked extensively into this issue and this is the only known resolution.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate you

KKearney

Reaction score
A-Team - followed your lead and did the same today. So far, so good but obviously very early! Will keep the group approved of success

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Which theme did you program and which theme is set in the radio? Nice work!

KKearney

Reaction score
Which theme did you program and which theme is set in the radio? Nice work!
So it is very interesting. With the Jscan I flashed the “off-road truck”, and like you I now see “Rebel” in the instrument panel screen. I then programmed the radio to theme 5 (red) and it has been solid despite multiple remote and in-can starts.
So to push my luck I switched it to theme 2(blue) to see what would happen. After a remote start the instrument display reverted to the red(!) but the radio stayed blue. Kinda confirms your original premise that the theme has to match. So I switched the radio back to red and will see if it sticks.
Will advise

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So it is very interesting. With the Jscan I flashed the “off-road truck”, and like you I now see “Rebel” in the instrument panel screen. I then programmed the radio to theme 5 (red) and it has been solid despite multiple remote and in-can starts.
So to push my luck I switched it to theme 2(blue) to see what would happen. After a remote start the instrument display reverted to the red(!) but the radio stayed blue. Kinda confirms your original premise that the theme has to match. So I switched the radio back to red and will see if it sticks.
Will advise
How do you do the off road thing with jscan?

KKearney

Reaction score
I’d like to know as well
It was very easy. I started with A-Team’s info a few posts above. Went to jscan.net and read the info there, including supported OBD adapters and secure gateway bypass cable. Ordered both from Amazon. Downloaded the jscan app from the Apple App Store and bought a license. All told the equipment was about $70 Total. Plugged in the bypass cable and OBD adapter, the put ignition in Run. Connected the OBD module to my iPhone via Bluetooth and fired up the app. You’ll be amazed by the options you’ll see.
To change the instrument cluster theme I went to Adaptations > vehicle user settings > special packages- settings > vehicle configuration 2 >, then chose Off-Road truck, and hit go. After about 5 seconds got confirmation on iPhone that change was made. Changed radio to Theme 5. Started truck and that was it. Shut down truck, disconnected gateway bypass and plugged the 2 wires back into the gateway and started the truck. Easy as that.
good luck. It was far easier than I expected.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. I have the bypass and ODB already. As well as VIN license from JScan. Just haven’t plugged it in yet. Maybe I’ll do that this afternoon.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was very easy. I started with A-Team’s info a few posts above. Went to jscan.net and read the info there, including supported OBD adapters and secure gateway bypass cable. Ordered both from Amazon. Downloaded the jscan app from the Apple App Store and bought a license. All told the equipment was about $70 Total. Plugged in the bypass cable and OBD adapter, the put ignition in Run. Connected the OBD module to my iPhone via Bluetooth and fired up the app. You’ll be amazed by the options you’ll see.
To change the instrument cluster theme I went to Adaptations > vehicle user settings > special packages- settings > vehicle configuration 2 >, then chose Off-Road truck, and hit go. After about 5 seconds got confirmation on iPhone that change was made. Changed radio to Theme 5. Started truck and that was it. Shut down truck, disconnected gateway bypass and plugged the 2 wires back into the gateway and started the truck. Easy as that.
good luck. It was far easier than I expected.
Thanks. I’ve already made many changes with jscan already so I got that part down.

Not sure about the theme thing. Is that a setting in the radio? I don’t think I have this, so maybe won’t work.

What is the year and specs of your truck?
I have a 2019 with Uconnect 4

Thanks

KKearney

Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve already made many changes with jscan already so I got that part down.

Not sure about the theme thing. Is that a setting in the radio? I don’t think I have this, so maybe won’t work.

What is the year and specs of your truck?
I have a 2019 with Uconnect 4

Thanks
Same here. 2019, UC4

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/