5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discolored Speedometer Numbers on LCD Screen?

Fishwiz

Reaction score
There is a setting that allow you to change the display color and font size. It is under settings>display. I think there is 5 choices. I have the 8" display with navigation.
Can you take a pic of your menu screen with these settings you're taking about?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ksaldutti

Reaction score
I’m on 22,000 miles now on my ‘19. Last week I noticed something new on my lcd screen behind the steering wheel. The bottom half of the numbers on the digital speedometer display are brown. The top half of the number is white. There’s also some shadowing of the numbers of you switch to a different screen view.

Took to dealer and they said it’s a normal factory Ram setting. Am I going crazy? Have I not noticed this in nearly 1.5 years of ownership? I’m 99% sure it used to be purely white. This is also the first time I’ve noticed the shadowing.

The attached picture is the best I could get but doesn’t do it justice.
My 2020 1500 Laramie had this from day one the brown bar going the speedo digital numbers actually the brown floats from bottom to top and middle of the display. The dealer checked into the anomaly and was told by the factory it is normal but that is BS.
That means it's a problem to expensive to correct as it's found on 19 & 20 RAMs with the 7" driver display. That's a ton of fixes. I haven't heard yet if the 21s are having this anomaly. It is annoying on a $56k purchase isn't it. It's so typical MoPar BS. I believe if we RAM owners start a consistent unrentless complaint I'm willing to bet a resolution will be found under warranty even if you vehicle is out of warranty as this is a factory defect NOT A (INTENDED NORMAL) . I will bet a paycheck that this was not in any design crateria. It's a defect with the display itself and may not respond to a software correction.

ksaldutti

Reaction score
It's normal. The software engineers know about it and can't seem to fix. I have heard of updates to fix this but they are always a couple months away. On my Bighorn I can change the display settings for the dash and it will be gone. Then a couple days later it resets back to the way it was. Just one of those little quirks that make owning a Ram so charming. ;)
Yes that does work very temporarily but just restarting the truck the display comes back with the anomaly.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's normal. The software engineers know about it and can't seem to fix. I have heard of updates to fix this but they are always a couple months away. On my Bighorn I can change the display settings for the dash and it will be gone. Then a couple days later it resets back to the way it was. Just one of those little quirks that make owning a Ram so charming. ;)
If it wasn't designed to do that it's not normal, it's a software bug. By definition, something that needs fixing is not normal. It's not that they can't fix it, it's that management has decided it's not worth fixing. It doesn't speak highly of their developers if they can't figure out how to fix something like that. It's been deemed as too expensive for any potential return on their investment.
Sorry, I test embedded software for a living and know how management thinks. :ROFLMAO:

nburd

Reaction score
I’m on 22,000 miles now on my ‘19. Last week I noticed something new on my lcd screen behind the steering wheel. The bottom half of the numbers on the digital speedometer display are brown. The top half of the number is white. There’s also some shadowing of the numbers of you switch to a different screen view.

Took to dealer and they said it’s a normal factory Ram setting. Am I going crazy? Have I not noticed this in nearly 1.5 years of ownership? I’m 99% sure it used to be purely white. This is also the first time I’ve noticed the shadowing.

The attached picture is the best I could get but doesn’t do it justice.
I just realized I have this on my 2020. Exact same issue. Only on speedo.

Attachments

• 37BC1E02-CA88-4CB5-ACC9-4156D47E0605.jpeg
    37BC1E02-CA88-4CB5-ACC9-4156D47E0605.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 73
  • F480CA04-1F0C-4D86-8071-59E1FE24D463.jpeg
    F480CA04-1F0C-4D86-8071-59E1FE24D463.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 43A0882F-6963-47E3-BB71-0533A08A8CE0.jpeg
    43A0882F-6963-47E3-BB71-0533A08A8CE0.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 73

highgear2005

Reaction score
Since all these trucks have the same problem! Might be a clue, it’s actually designed to look like this! Ram says it’s normal! Does anyone have a display thats all white? Good grief people of all things to ***** about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nburd

Reaction score
I agree It’s made that way. I have never used my Digital speedo until today so I just noticed it. Here is a link to “infotainment“ that sells an upgrade for folks who do not have the 7” Evic and the picture shows the same coloration. It’s definitely made that way. I am sure I will grow to ignore it. It was just odd to see it today for the first time...and then it’s on the forum.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
New member to the forum and this is my first post 😩...My 2020 1500 Lonestar Night Edition does the same. Only have had for about a month. Speedo was all white the whole time. Noticed change to the discolored brown after installing larger tires and dealer did speedo calibration. Dealer said they'll have to reset system in order to resolve. Apparently it's a long process cause they want me to drop off truck and leave with them all day, so we'll see. I'll update this post if it gets resolved.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has 5 different themes that I can choose from. Each one of them changes the background pattern on the display, and changes the numbers style and coloring. 4 of the 5 themes have a digital speedo that is solid in color, but the script style changes between the selections. 1 of the 5 has a speedo that has a brighter more metallic shaded up half that fades to a browner color about midway towards the bottom of the numbers. Its designed to give it a shaded/faded appearance. Its not burning out, it is designed to look that way.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New member to the forum and this is my first post 😩...My 2020 1500 Lonestar Night Edition does the same. Only have had for about a month. Speedo was all white the whole time. Noticed change to the discolored brown after installing larger tires and dealer did speedo calibration. Dealer said they'll have to reset system in order to resolve. Apparently it's a long process cause they want me to drop off truck and leave with them all day, so we'll see. I'll update this post if it gets resolved.
It’s not discolored - it’s by design. Feel free to have them mess with it, but likely will only screw something else up.

if it were discolored, you would see the brown when the screen is displaying other pages, but you don’t.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
It’s not discolored - it’s by design. Feel free to have them mess with it, but likely will only screw something else up.

if it were discolored, you would see the brown when the screen is displaying other pages, but you don’t.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
🤔...Then wonder why dealership said “that’s odd” when they saw pics of? Also like another poster said my ‘browning’ moves around sometimes to middle vice section of speedo #. I’m still leaning towards bug unless Ram can prove otherwise.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
**UPDATE** - Took too dealer yesterday and SA said “yeh that’s odd”, then sent back to technician and he said ‘wait think this is way it’s supposed to’, so to confirm we just walked around dealership starting up 1500’s to check 😂. First check was a loaded 2020 Longhorn inside the showroom - speedo numbering ALL WHITE 🤔, next a used ‘19 Lonestar with 55K miles - lower half brown, then new 2020 Lonestar (exact model as mine) - lower half BROWN. We even checked new 2021 black Lonestar Night Edition with the new HUD and rear view camera mirror (that’s cool but weird, seems like that would take a lot of getting used to) - lower speedo number BROWN! 🤯...So there it is!

highgear2005

Reaction score
Dealer replaced my radio in my 2019. Had a issue with it locking and rebooting. Something I’ve noticed since, I can now change and keep my cluster themes! Remote starts and regular starts, my cluster isn’t changing like it was. Now I’m using a different theme after a few days. What I’m seeing is the color and font changes with the theme. The first theme setting is still a two tone white and tan. But the third theme the color is all tan! This leads me to believe the two tone color is supposed to be that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNeal

Reaction score
So, if this is what you guys are seeing, it is normal and was designed to look that way. If you look at the second image, it is snow white as I selected a different theme, which is white. The other one is meant to look like reflective metal and the reflection has a yellow tint.

Dash1.jpg Dash2.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes one should just not open a thread...

Checked mine today, first time. I see it. Does it bother me? No.

Like a few others I don't believe this is a graphical interface problem since this is the only screen that has this effect. And as someone else said, until someone claims they don't have this effect, it probably isn't a defect, but an intentional effect.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044588 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread