5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discolored Speedometer Numbers on LCD Screen?

canarygrass

Reaction score
I’m on 22,000 miles now on my ‘19. Last week I noticed something new on my lcd screen behind the steering wheel. The bottom half of the numbers on the digital speedometer display are brown. The top half of the number is white. There’s also some shadowing of the numbers of you switch to a different screen view.

Took to dealer and they said it’s a normal factory Ram setting. Am I going crazy? Have I not noticed this in nearly 1.5 years of ownership? I’m 99% sure it used to be purely white. This is also the first time I’ve noticed the shadowing.

The attached picture is the best I could get but doesn’t do it justice.

Attachments

• B6212D9A-C811-4086-B888-94F24A756085.jpeg
    B6212D9A-C811-4086-B888-94F24A756085.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 348

gotmeahemi

Reaction score
I have a bighorn and mine is the same way. It’s funny because I just noticed that as well about a week ago. Other screens look fine so I just accepted I didn’t pay much attention when I got the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m on 22,000 miles now on my ‘19. Last week I noticed something new on my lcd screen behind the steering wheel. The bottom half of the numbers on the digital speedometer display are brown. The top half of the number is white. There’s also some shadowing of the numbers of you switch to a different screen view.

Took to dealer and they said it’s a normal factory Ram setting. Am I going crazy? Have I not noticed this in nearly 1.5 years of ownership? I’m 99% sure it used to be purely white. This is also the first time I’ve noticed the shadowing.

Nothing wrong with your vehicle. I checked all four of my “theme” screens. The ”Rebel” theme screen looks just like yours. The other three “theme“ screens look different.

ponypride

Reaction score
This was mentioned in a previous thread. It is normal and mine is the same way .

Kstatecat

Reaction score
It's normal. The software engineers know about it and can't seem to fix. I have heard of updates to fix this but they are always a couple months away. On my Bighorn I can change the display settings for the dash and it will be gone. Then a couple days later it resets back to the way it was. Just one of those little quirks that make owning a Ram so charming. ;)

Konrad

Reaction score
Yep, same here. I don't care at all. It's entirely possible that is supposed to be this way as a graphic design feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
It's normal. The software engineers know about it and can't seem to fix. I have heard of updates to fix this but they are always a couple months away. On my Bighorn I can change the display settings for the dash and it will be gone. Then a couple days later it resets back to the way it was. Just one of those little quirks that make owning a Ram so charming. ;)

I have a Bighorn as well and I’m not sure what display settings your referring to. I have the same affect on my instrument cluster too, but I think it’s just designed that way. Similar to how iOS 6 had the glossy / shadowy type icons.

Kstatecat

Reaction score
I have a Bighorn as well and I’m not sure what display settings your referring to. I have the same affect on my instrument cluster too, but I think it’s just designed that way. Similar to how iOS 6 had the glossy / shadowy type icons.
There is a setting that allow you to change the display color and font size. It is under settings>display. I think there is 5 choices. I have the 8" display with navigation.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
@ Kstatecat...

Thanks for the reply. I have the 8.4” unconnect as well but without nav. I also have the 7” TFT instrument cluster if that matters. I don’t have any options to adjust the display font/ colors. C10FB9BE-0E47-4079-966D-A107A1CB71EA.jpeg 24020F6D-D5F1-4C10-8118-1ABD941F1D56.jpeg

canarygrass

Reaction score
There is a setting that allow you to change the display color and font size. It is under settings>display. I think there is 5 choices. I have the 8" display with navigation.
Awesome....that allowed me to change the theme and eliminate the brown color from the speedometer.

Last question...is the shadowing on the screen in cold weather normal? See below

Attachments

• 0665C8A0-1D3D-4A88-8FD3-90D4E6092944.jpeg
    0665C8A0-1D3D-4A88-8FD3-90D4E6092944.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 138

magic280z

Reaction score
Awesome....that allowed me to change the theme and eliminate the brown color from the speedometer.

Last question...is the shadowing on the screen in cold weather normal? See below
How cold is cold? I have seen this on cell phones the LCD just gets slow. I had an old flip phone that the display turned completely black until it warmed back up. I haven't seen it at 30F, but I usually take advantage of the remote start at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

canarygrass

Reaction score
How cold is cold? I have seen this on cell phones the LCD just gets slow. I had an old flip phone that the display turned completely black until it warmed back up. I haven't seen it at 30F, but I usually take advantage of the remote start at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
18 degrees this morning

TX_Phil

Reaction score
I have the Lonestar L2 (same as Bighorn I think) and I also have the discolored MPH readout. I've not noticed this on other display settings. These color themes, does this required the 8.4 Nav or does it apply the the non-nav version as well? So far I've not seen any options to change the LCD screen colors.

ksaldutti

Reaction score

Hello I'm new here. Just received my 2020 1500 Laramie and my first 10 minutes in my new ride low and behold digital speedometer numbers brown floating discoloration shadow but only with the speedometer display as non of the other screens have this oddity. Dealer is well aware of this from many 19 & 20 RAM owners. BUT, no reply or answer or ammitance of this situation from Chrysler. First and foremost it is a defect and not normal for any reason to call this situation "normal". I'm hoping for a fix or software update to deal with this. Let's not let this go.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As said above, it’s not a discoloration, it’s intentional shading of the digits...

if you think otherwise, please post a clear pic that shows the defect, as all pics posted here to date are normal

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are trying to mimic the shadows of a old analog odometer. Think rounds with shading for the light.

Odometer_70000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread