5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with Harmon Kardon sound

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are these settings good for SiriusXM? Or just for usb music from phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did a little experimenting on the way home with XM audio settings on the HK system and found the bass -6 and treble +3 were the same but kept ending up with the mid on -4.(not -2) So for me XM generally sounds ‘best’ at bass -6, mid -4, and treble +3ish. But I can’t stress enough how absolutely terrible satellite radio sounds compared to streaming from your phone via USB cable directly into the Ram.

For a mind blowing comparison, after fiddling with the XM audio settings and being utterly disgusted in the sound quality I plugged in Pandora and the Fleetwood Mac song Gypsy came on. If you want to see just how amazingly clean and powerful this HK system is play Gypsy at -6, =2 and +3 and start at volume 20. It sounds fantastic. Get to 25 and the clean power really becomes obvious. I got to 30 with no breakup whatsoever and the nicest cleanest punch I’ve ever felt in a vehicle. My ears are definitely ringing as I write this, but not from overdriven loudness. More from just pure clean enjoyable decibels.

Seriously, I recommend any doubters try this exact experiment and then let me know if they still think the HK system is lame.

But I digress.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
As stated earlier, I have found the absolute sweet spot for the HK system in our trucks is when the volume is in the 20-25 neighborhood and you do the following:
-Center the fade/balance
-Enable Surround Sound
-Set the EQ roughly as follows: Bass -6, Mid -2, Treble +2 to +4 (depending on your preference for highs)
-Plug music source into a USB (bluetooth compresses sound)

It really is a decent system at these settings unless the actual recording you're playing sucks.
I agree. I set my system to your settings and it sounds great. I put the treble at -2 since I'm getting a little more deaf every day, and Im thinking about putting the bass at -5 for a little more bass. Other than that, I think the settings are great. Thanks for posting your suggestions. (y)

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Everyone has a different range of hearing... some hear sounds at higher frequencies, some hear more lows. I for one loose everything starting at about 14k hz but on the other end hear as low as about 20 hz. I can literally hear the garbage truck 6 blocks away which is a good 30 or more minutes before it gets to me. Whereas my wife cant hear it 1 block over. But she can pick up stuff way above the 14k I am limited too. That being said, this is the most common reason why everyone has a different auditory viewpoint on the HK system. What may sound good to one person might not be acceptable to another.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I can't believe I have a 19 speaker system and a whopping three adjustment equalizer!! It sounds horrible unless I'm on FM radio
I was disappointed as well when I saw the equalizer for this system. I don't see how the engineers who designed this system thought a three adjustment equalizer was good enough. Maybe there's a reason they couldn't get too fancy, but I can't imagine what that might be.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
As as been stated earlier (and in other HK complaint posts); the source has as much to do with the sound as the speakers. XM radio can transmit somewhere between 48-64kbps of data. They are using AAC which is slightly better than MP3; but for comparison, a CD is 1,400 kbps. My hi res audio in my theater is over 9,000kbps. Now keep in mind, NVH will mask most of the subtleties that is missing in lower res anyways; so it's a diminishing return on investment in some cases. That being said; I could tell a huge difference in AQ between CD/MP3/XM in my last rig.

Putting a 5k audio system in your ram and listening to XM is like putting a race motor in your car and filling up with 87 octane. Don't get me wrong; I certainly listen to XM from time to time; but have realistic expectations on the SQ. Most of my listening is via lossless files over USB. Still not anywhere as good as a CD, but I understand most people aren't old school like me and physical media has gone the way of the dodo bird. :D

I actually find the opposite findings than some on here. The HK does an admirable job at lower listening levels (say around 15); but really starts to break up when raising the volume. The midrange falls apart and the highs get really harsh and fatiguing. The sub would probably benefit from a little poly fill like the old Rams, but that's just putting a band aid on the problem. I think the first upgrade is a quality sub that blends a bit better with the stock speakers.

I was running a 3 way fully eq'd system in my last Ram (I don't run rears) and really enjoyed it but am trying to keep from going down the rabbit hole this go around lol. I miss TA more than anything as there is no soundstage with the factory setup.

I don't think there is a one size fits all for the limited EQ. Set it to what you feel you like. My thoughts line up similar with the eq settings posted earlier; I am hotter on the bass, but around -4 and +2 on the mid/treble respectively. Like I said though; the source plays a huge role in how the eq interacts. Highly compressed sources will require more bass and treble than less compressed ones. JMTC.

RJS

Reaction score
I guess it depends on possibly the luck of the draw or also more likely the music quality. I took a previous posters advice and started "Gypsy" at flat levels and ended up at -6 Bass, +1 Mid, +3 treble. I'm using Amazon HD music with the AT&T wifi in the truck with a Pixel 2 phone through the USB "C" port. The volume made a constant 33 with no breakup and I made it close to 38 where it seemed fine but couldn't stay there my old ears just couldn't take the volume.
I was happy before with the 12" but happier now. I usually listen at 14-20 alone and much lower with anyone in the truck. Build date 1/25/19 Laramie L2 Sport, FYI.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess it depends on possibly the luck of the draw or also more likely the music quality. I took a previous posters advice and started "Gypsy" at flat levels and ended up at -6 Bass, +1 Mid, +3 treble. I'm using Amazon HD music with the AT&T wifi in the truck with a Pixel 2 phone through the USB "C" port. The volume made a constant 33 with no breakup and I made it close to 38 where it seemed fine but couldn't stay there my old ears just couldn't take the volume.
I was happy before with the 12" but happier now. I usually listen at 14-20 alone and much lower with anyone in the truck. Build date 1/25/19 Laramie L2 Sport, FYI.
Thank you for trying my suggestion. I assume you’re in agreement that with that song particularly the HK system is, dare I say almost amazing considering it’s stock.
Today I discovered that The Rolling Stones ‘She’s so Cold’ is another fantastic one that showcases the HK system. Give that one a shot.
Haven’t heard Queens ‘Another one bites the dust’ yet, but I expect that one to also rock.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I love my HK system. I sell Volvos that have $4,000 Bowers & Wilkins systems and they HK in my Ram blows them out of the water it's not even close. I do wish they gave the EcoDiesel the same sound dampening / cancellation feature the gas had

Wait a minute I just had a thought, If you guys are running the Hemi with the sound dampening / cancellation feature the "negative" sound comes from the speakers. Maybe doing that on top of the music is having an effect on your overall sound?

Mine is the EcoDiesel so the sound dampening wouldn’t factor in. And I know this is a completely subjective thread as we all hear differently. After a good hour of making adjustments here’s my settings:
Bass: +6
Mids: -6
Treble: +6
Surround On
Fade/Balance: Center +1 forward

Here’s what I find most disappointing; we paid something like $2k for this system or so. The screen provides a ton of value and I believe these speakers can be “unlocked” using some aftermarket amps. BUT A 3 BAND EQ??? For real? I have a $75k truck and I get a whopping 3 BANDS to find my sound?

I would encourage FCA to create a software update for the 12” HK system to give us at least 7 BANDS FOR EQ!!!

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I think I'm one of the few that didn't see the value in the 12". I rarely use Nav and other than eye candy; didn't see any improvement over the 8.4. This was in my 60k+ laramie night edition; so It's not like I ordered a base truck lol.

It would be nice for a 7 band EQ but honestly; we are a part of the few that really care. Most people are perfectly content with the sound. Me personally; I'd kill for someone to introduce a system with factory TA. That would make a huge difference. I'd ditch the center to bring my sound stage back and TA the rest for a realistic listening environment.

Mine is the EcoDiesel so the sound dampening wouldn’t factor in. And I know this is a completely subjective thread as we all hear differently. After a good hour of making adjustments here’s my settings:
Bass: +6
Mids: -6
Treble: +6
Surround On
Fade/Balance: Center +1 forward

Here’s what I find most disappointing; we paid something like $2k for this system or so. The screen provides a ton of value and I believe these speakers can be “unlocked” using some aftermarket amps. BUT A 3 BAND EQ??? For real? I have a $75k truck and I get a whopping 3 BANDS to find my sound?

I would encourage FCA to create a software update for the 12” HK system to give us at least 7 BANDS FOR EQ!!!

Burnzie

Reaction score
Personally I like mine, almost as good as the Beats System in the wife's Charger.
I have to retract my previous statement, pulled out of garage today to get oil changed and suddenly an automatic update came through and holy crap what a difference, now it sounds like ***. I messed with the EQ for about 2 hours and still *** turned off surround sound, still ***, had the technician listen and he said wow, looked on his computer and he couldn't undue the update, worst part is when I make a phonecall I can't understand what the other person is saying. The radio sounds like when you go down a steep hill and you have to swallow to make your ears pop,but before you swallow, actually hurts your ears.

Tydog96

Reaction score
I switched out the dash corner tweeters, and gave all speakers time to break in, I’m pleased with it. Built July 2020. HK 19 system. Don’t forget a little break in time on the speakers folks.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I switched out the dash corner tweeters, and gave all speakers time to break in, I’m pleased with it. Built July 2020. HK 19 system. Don’t forget a little break in time on the speakers folks.

Yeah, those cheap Chinese paper cones need some time to break in. :D

I upgraded the dash corners initially in my Ram with my Alpine before going full active, but also unhooked the center channel at the same time. Much better channel separation this way. But I don't care about the pass either lol.

djbdb

Reaction score
Yes this stereo is awful. I can talk loudly over the music when using SiriusXM with the volume turned all the way up. And windows open when driving over 50mph? Forget it. Might as well turn the radio off. Unacceptable. Can’t wait to dump a couple grand into new radio equipment just to be able to hear my music with my windows open.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes this stereo is awful. I can talk loudly over the music when using SiriusXM with the volume turned all the way up. And windows open when driving over 50mph? Forget it. Might as well turn the radio off. Unacceptable. Can’t wait to dump a couple grand into new radio equipment just to be able to hear my music with my windows open.

We must be talking about different trucks. I can’t even shout at someone next to me when the volume is in the 30s.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Definitely not the experience I get from mine. I have taken multiple trips cruising down the interstate with sunroof open, windows down, enjoying my music (not turned all the way up, maybe 20-22 volume setting) and it comes in loud and clear. If you’ve not done so, check into the amp update. My truck is an Aug or Sept 2018 build.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I can play Yello's La Habenara at full volume with no distortion and it's clear and loud. With great channel separation, bass is spot on with everything set totally flat. But then change it to some rock and the results are not the same. Change it to some modern rap and totally different results then too. Look I used to build competition vehicles that competed through IASCA rules and you had to retune the system to what you were trying to compete with. SQ is a tough area to compete in and even the tracks on the IASCA CD are really hard to tune too and then expect something else to play cleanly through your system that's not on the cd just doesnt happen. Vehicular dynamics for audio clarity are not exactly optimal. A home stereo has a ton a room to work with and ambient noise is almost nil. Your not dealing with 26 cu ft of reflective surface nightmares which do nothing to help. And taking in the ridiculous variances in recording volume, sampling rates, sound compression types and audio formats able to play through one system alone, I think the HK system does a pretty good job for what it is.

djbdb

Reaction score
Definitely not the experience I get from mine. I have taken multiple trips cruising down the interstate with sunroof open, windows down, enjoying my music (not turned all the way up, maybe 20-22 volume setting) and it comes in loud and clear. If you’ve not done so, check into the amp update. My truck is an Aug or Sept 2018 build.

Anybody got an update number so i can be armed when i go to the dealer? They’re not the best.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody got an update number so i can be armed when i go to the dealer? They’re not the best.

Search the threads. It’s on here. I never needed it, so don’t have it

Users who are viewing this thread